PDA

View Full Version : Talkin' the talk

Madame Adequate
02-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I've decided to become a pimp. Consider: All I need to find are some skanky women, then find some customers - not hard given that the population of the world is actually beneath much of Eyes On.

So I've got my pimp hat. My pimp cane. My pimp strut, my pimp swagger, and my pimp slap. I've got my pimp chauvinism, my pimp arrogance, and my pimp purple suit/cloak combo.

What I don't have is my pimp talk. I need to affect a far better accent than the one I have (i.e. any accent, at all, other than one from Great Britain). I sound like a commoner with all the education, tolerance, and ambition of a soccer thug. This will not do.

In this thread we shall discuss our accent, accents we like, and accents we dislike. :bigsmile: Anyone who likes any kind of British accent except for Hugh Laurie's gets an automatic fail!

Edit: Any hobags want to have theyselves a pimp, PM me.

Roto13
02-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Russian accents are awesome. Australian accents are not.

Rye
02-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I think British accents are swoon-worthy, shut up. :kaoangry: Also, your accent doesn't even sound that British. You sound half American. Your accent needs to sound more Brit. >:[

I have the typical "Noo Yoikah" accent in which I say "dawg" "cawfee" "awwwringe", etc.

My favorite accents are Northern British, Boston, Noo Yoikah, Russian (mmmm tATu) and Italian. :3

Madame Adequate
02-17-2008, 07:17 PM
My favorite accents are Northern British

:( Cannot sufficiently express your fail.

Lynx
02-17-2008, 07:25 PM
boston accents make me laugh.

i guess i have a typical new york accent. not as much as someone in the city but they dont really sound much different then the way i talk despite me living outside the city.

Rye
02-17-2008, 07:25 PM

:( Cannot sufficiently express your fail.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ryechuuu/cecry.gif

Quindiana Jones
02-17-2008, 07:26 PM
I like accents. I can slip easily into quite a few, which is nice. I like showing off by saying a few sentences, changing the accent every 10 or so words. :D

Denmark
02-17-2008, 07:33 PM
being from upstate new york, i obviously have no accent whatsoever and my speech is perfect.

i enjoy a new england accent if it's ridiculous. and a cockney accent.

i enjoy making fun of the way my friends say certain words, and regional dialects. but only in jest, i mean no ill will.

Rye
02-17-2008, 07:34 PM
being from upstate new york, i obviously have no accent whatsoever and my speech is perfect.

i enjoy a new england accent if it's ridiculous. and a cockney accent.

i enjoy making fun of the way my friends say certain words, and regional dialects. but only in jest, i mean no ill will.

Real New Yorkers have an accent. Let's brawl.

Breine
02-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I like accents in general because they show where people come from. Some sound better/cooler than others, though.

NeoCracker
02-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Apparently I have a bit of a Boston accent. (Which is wierd considering I grew up in Idaho.)

Not a fan of southern accents, and only an occasional british girl sounds cute. Most of the time its just a bit annoying. (Don't worry smitten, you're not an annoying one.)

A bit of an asian accent is nice, though not to heavy. same with the Irish and Russian.

Aerith's Knight
02-17-2008, 07:54 PM
I .. appereantly.. have a dutch accent.

and i worked so hard not to have one :(

Sergeant Hartman
02-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Listen to Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle a couple of times and you'll be sorted.

As for the accents, nothing beats the Welsh.

Zeldy
02-17-2008, 08:12 PM

ughhh, why? xD

I'm from St Helens, which is Northwest England and we all sound disgusting. I know one person who has a really thick St Helens tongue and to him I am "ehhhhmeh". It makes me lul xD

I like Scandinavian and Finnish accents, they're just so well-spoken and <3

I Took the Red Pill
02-17-2008, 08:21 PM

Also, you're forgetting the advantage of a ridiculously fitting pimp name. 'Huxley' was obviously meant to be a name feared by all whores.

Aerith's Knight
02-17-2008, 08:21 PM
i like southern, irish and french accents

Dolentrean
02-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Southern accents suck, Irish accents are cool, so are Brittish accents if you are someone like James Bond, otherwise you just sound TO Brittish.

Captain Maxx Power
02-17-2008, 08:39 PM
I talk with a strong northern tone, which comes with all the ridiculousness you'd expect. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo) I really like "posh" english accents, as well as middle-American one's.

Big D
02-17-2008, 08:58 PM
In this thread we shall discuss our accent, accents we like, and accents we dislike. :bigsmile: Anyone who likes any kind of British accent except for Hugh Laurie's gets an automatic fail!Patrick Stewart > all

That's more to do with the voice than the accent, but that's beside the point.

Accents I like, in no particular order:

New York
Californian
Oregon
Canadian
Scots
Various English regions
Ukrainian
Turkish

Rye
02-17-2008, 09:10 PM

ughhh, why? xD

I'm from St Helens, which is Northwest England and we all sound disgusting. I know one person who has a really thick St Helens tongue and to him I am "ehhhhmeh". It makes me lul xD

I dunno why. American girl's panties just drop for British accent! It's like magic!

And oooh, yes, I love Scandinavian-type accents. I like when Huxley speaks in Estonian. It's a nummy accent.

Also, you're forgetting the advantage of a ridiculously fitting pimp name. 'Huxley' was obviously meant to be a name feared by all whores.

:bigsmile:

Accents I like, in no particular order:

New York

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

rubah
02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
I talk southern-neutral. People from other regions can understand what I say but there are certain words that might crop up to make them go 'what?'

I'm not sure if I have an accent I prefer.

Caraliz
02-17-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm from the midwest, hence I have no accent. I adore british accents though. :(

I'd go so far as to say that they're my favorite.

The ones I can't stand are the New England accents. My baby has a good accent though, so I can't complain. :p

Also, Australian. Beautiful. :D And Italian~

Rye
02-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Would you zombie bite me if I affected a Boston accent then? ;;

I want to combine my NY accent with a Boston accent. It'd be like a creepy Yankees/Red Sox love child.

"Let's play cahds! Did you wawk the dawg?"

Madame Adequate
02-17-2008, 10:23 PM

ughhh, why? xD

I dunno why. American girl's panties just drop for British accent! It's like magic!

And oooh, yes, I love Scandinavian-type accents. I like when Huxley speaks in Estonian. It's a nummy accent.

It's another language you doof! And American girls clearly have no taste in accents. Although I will say that actually I was hasty in my OP and that classy British accents are pretty awesome, like Sir Ian McKellan. Just not common ones like Lily Allen :monster:

Rye
02-17-2008, 10:26 PM
I KNOW it's another language, but it still has an accent all the same, you doody face.

I like Lily Allen's accent. And Kate Nash's. So step off. :kaoangry:

Quindiana Jones
02-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Heh. American girls really do go mad for a nice English accent. :bigsmile:

I was there for 6 weeks and it was awesome. :reminisce:

Jessweeee♪
02-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I have some sort of US accent...I used to have a Midwestern one, but now that I've been living in South Texas for a few years I'm starting to sound like the people who live here :p

Caraliz
02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I KNOW it's another language, but it still has an accent all the same, you doody face.

I like Lily Allen's accent. And Kate Nash's. So step off. :kaoangry:
Kate Nash! :jess: I adore Kate Nash.

and I suppose for you Rye, I would say the New Yoik accent is wonderful. :jess:

Rantz
02-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Most British accents make me feel like I'm standing knee-deep in awesome. And Japanese (à la Hiro). Oh yes.

I like Scandinavian and Finnish accents

I love Scandinavian-type accents

What the fuck xD I thought everyone laughed at us behind our backs for our silly accents.

Jessweeee♪
02-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm from the midwest, hence I have no accent. I adore british accents though. :(

The ones I can't stand are the New England accents. My baby has a good accent though, so I can't complain. :p

Not even a midwestern accent D:
?

We Texans think you talk funny.

escobert
02-18-2008, 08:46 AM

you're the one with the accent hun ;)

Montoya
02-18-2008, 09:54 AM
English accents in English are cool, and so are Spanish accents in Spanish. :cool:

Heath
02-18-2008, 11:10 AM
The rather well-spoken English accents that people like Stephen Fry have are absolutely wonderful. Other accents I quite like are the West Country (for pure comedy value) and just the general Northern England accent.

Jess
02-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I have two accents! Southern England (Essex) and Geordie (North East England, Newcastle).

Generally, there are no accents that I dislike. I'm not the greatest fan of a Manc accent, but they're not awful. && even though I'm from Newcastle, I sometimes struggle with very strong Scottish accents. :jess:

41-Inches-Wide
02-18-2008, 01:21 PM
I wish I didn't have this really weird accent that makes me sound incomprehensible to the lot of you. :kaoclove:

Caraliz
02-18-2008, 07:47 PM
nu uh~ Just try to say "Wisconsin" again. I dare ya. :jess:

Cz
02-18-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm glad everyone's in agreement that we English have got the whole speaking thing spot on. It took a lot of hard work to cultivate that accent.

I like most accents. Really thick ones can be tough to understand, but that doesn't mean I dislike them. Just that I have to smile and nod a lot when I'm talking to someone. It's just like talking to drunk people, really. :greenie:

Dreddz
02-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I personally find the Southern England accent the best but of course im going to say that. I actually dont mind most English speaking countries accents. Except some parts of America like Texas or Maryland. Especially Maryland. They have a cross between an American and an Australian accent. Both are fine on their own but together......nahh.

Canadians have pretty bad accents. Their essentially American but that little bit more whiny and screechy. They give you a headache after a while.

escobert
02-18-2008, 08:49 PM
nu uh~ Just try to say "Wisconsin" again. I dare ya. :jess:
;) And I'll take you up on that dare!

Shauna
02-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I've got a Glaswegian accent - well, it's not as thick as a true Glaswegian's, but they sound pretty similar. A lot of accents around the Glasgow area sound similar, actually.

I like most accents, there aren't any that I severely dislike - and I tend not to struggle with thick accents either. Except when I met one of Mike's grandfathers. His accent was so thick, I really couldn't understand a word he was saying - so I just smiled and nodded. :D

fire_of_avalon
02-18-2008, 09:23 PM
I speak with a southernish accent. Western NC/Appalachian South to be specific. I usually keep it turned off though.

I don't really have a favored accent. Scotsmen sound pretty neat.

Jings
02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
I'd say pretty much all British accents are easy on the ears, except strong Glasgow and Liverpool accents. They're just appalling to listen to I'm afraid. I also have a hard time enjoying Indian/Pakistani accents.

I've met quite a few people at Uni with the 'standard' American accent and I think it's really cool. German accents too, no one else liking the Germans?