PDA

View Full Version : Waste of Ideas?

Wuggly Blight
02-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Warning Spoilers abundent

Midgar was a remarkable little location, even if the limited engine of the time could not recreate alot of it at the time, but since its spooled many sequals and spin offs, so was destorying Midgar at the end of VII a waste of ideas for a unqiue location, and did Edge deminish what Midgar was in the scheme of the series?

Bolivar
02-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Well, first off it's a misconception that the engine for VII couldn't handle big things, or that square got more know-how with VIII and IX. VII's polygons were purposely kept simplified because Sakaguchi laid a ground rule that if the player became aware of load times (which was the biggest stain and cause of uncertainty for CD games at the time) it would be considered that the project failed. If you actually observe VIII and IX, the load times (even for bringing up the menu) are just as bad as in FFVI Anthologies, which gets slammed heavily.

Anyway, midgar was one of the main selling points of ffvii, and a big part of what made it so interesting. It pulled in gamers who were new to RPGs and blew away veterans of them (except for some unhappy veterans of FF). It's notably interesting because it was a huge part of Nomura's idea of "a Fantasy based in reality" which we've seen them try to do partially in VIII and X and now XIII, but you're really going to get the full vision in Versus XIII. I have a feeling those who really liked VII might really enjoy versus, and it could bring back alot of the mainstream fans that have dwindled over the years.

I don't think the potential for it is gone, because we now have games like crisis core that are now going back to what happened before FFVII, and delving into the mythos of Midgar. Plus, if and when the original gets remade, we may possibly get to relive it again, see it maybe more closely to the original concept, and potentially get to explore more of it.

Roogle
02-19-2008, 04:20 PM
I think that Midgar was purposely made to look as expansive and enveloping as possible to trick the player into thinking that the entire world was like Midgar. The urban and sci-fi environment, at the time, was extremely impressive to see on screen because there had not been technology presentations like that made available to a majority to the public.

Was anyone else surprised when they finally made it outside of Midgar and got to the world map? It was a very strange feeling that is rarely experiencing in gaming.

Wuggly Blight
02-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah Roogle is right, It did feel very Weird, espeically as it seemed Midgar was the main setting at first and so expansive (and gets bigger with every spi off) with to much to do there to leave,

cloud21zidane16
02-20-2008, 07:24 PM
I agree with Roogle as well, after a while i was expecting that youd play in Midgar all the time then came the world map it was like whoa!:mog: Midgar seems small now!:D