PDA

View Full Version : Americans !!

Imperfectionist
02-17-2008, 10:59 PM
So while pondering the other day about the random things that often float in and out of my head, I started thinking, how do you Americans view us Brits?

I mean I know that American's aren't generally very popular on this side of the pond so it'd be interesting to hear what you have to say about us.

Rye
02-17-2008, 11:02 PM
The average American seems to find the British to be very charming polite people who are slightly uptight. You know the stereotypes. :monocle:

I, because so many of my friends are British, know this not to be true. xD I think they're very easygoing and fun. They aren't nearly as prudish so I don't have to worry about what I say, like I do when speaking to my American buddies. My most offensive friend, Dan, is British. He says stuff that disgusts me and makes me cry laughing at the same time. I love it. I think the main reason that they're viewed as super polite is because a lot of British people have a prettier way of speaking. Not the chavs, of course, but you know that.

Basically, I love the British.

Psychotic
02-17-2008, 11:03 PM
They think we're stuffy tea-drinkers who would've been owned in every single war ever if it wasn't for them. Even in the ones in the middle ages.

Americans are popular over here. I don't really care about the generic "fuck bu$h" anti-war view. If we hated America so much we wouldn't have a huge chubby for their culture.

Tavrobel
02-17-2008, 11:08 PM
I saw Blair as our bitch. Otherwise, they are better than us in almost every way. Even that damned accent.

As an American, I can proudly say that our culture sucks.

Shlup
02-17-2008, 11:25 PM
I think of Brits as Americans that talk funny and wear coats more often.

Jessweeee♪
02-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Their accent makes them sound so smart and sophisticated D:

Quindiana Jones
02-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm British, but I like posting, so I'm going to give my opinion of Americans.

Before I went to America, I could only assume that they weren't all the same as their invalid President. When I went over, I found out my assumptions were true. Though the Americans do live up to some of their stereotypes (fairly loud, less subtle and all that other stuff), it wasn't in an annoying way that I was led to believe by God knows what. Probably television presenters exaggerating their trips in the US. I have no doubt that there are plenty of jackasses in America, but at least now I know that there are loads of nice people. The shopkeeps are nice and chatty, which is a fairly uncommon thing in the UK, so that was nice. And, though I obviously prefer British comedy, both Americans and Canadians were still very funny and likable.

And I only went through Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California. I can't wait to see the rest. :bigsmile:

Rye
02-17-2008, 11:32 PM

Before I went to America, I could only assume that they weren't all the same as their invalid President. When I went over, I found out my assumptions were true. Though the Americans do live up to some of their stereotypes (fairly loud, less subtle and all that other stuff), it wasn't in an annoying way that I was led to believe by God knows what. Probably television presenters exaggerating their trips in the US. I have no doubt that there are plenty of jackasses in America, but at least now I know that there are loads of nice people. The shopkeeps are nice and chatty, which is a fairly uncommon thing in the UK, so that was nice. And, though I obviously prefer British comedy, both Americans and Canadians were both still very funny and likable.

And I only went through Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California. I can't wait to see the rest. :bigsmile:

Ewww, no wonder so many of those people lived up to the stereotype. xD Come east sometime, people are so much cooler here. California is cool though. It's like New York's sunny and fruity cousin. It's the only other state I could ever see myself living in for a long time, besides MA or Hawaii.

I probably offended half of the country. Sorry guys!

XxSephirothxX
02-17-2008, 11:33 PM
I have no preconceptions about British people as a whole, other than their accents are different than ours and their money is worth more.

Jessweeee♪
TEXAS IS THE FRIENDSHIP STATE.

Quindiana Jones

Before I went to America, I could only assume that they weren't all the same as their invalid President. When I went over, I found out my assumptions were true. Though the Americans do live up to some of their stereotypes (fairly loud, less subtle and all that other stuff), it wasn't in an annoying way that I was led to believe by God knows what. Probably television presenters exaggerating their trips in the US. I have no doubt that there are plenty of jackasses in America, but at least now I know that there are loads of nice people. The shopkeeps are nice and chatty, which is a fairly uncommon thing in the UK, so that was nice. And, though I obviously prefer British comedy, both Americans and Canadians were both still very funny and likable.

Ewww, no wonder so many of those people lived up to the stereotype. xD Come east sometime, people are so much cooler here. California is cool though. It's like New York's sunny and fruity cousin.

I wanna go all over the shop when I have a gap year.

Namelessfengir
02-17-2008, 11:35 PM
i never really cared enough to form an opinion

you cant form an opinion about a people by their notables and/or leaders

Quindiana Jones
02-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Yes you can.

Zeldy
02-17-2008, 11:40 PM
I have the stereotype of Americans being loud, dramatic and friendly. British things get converted into American and they become so dramatic, it makes me lul. American Idol for example, it's all dramatic "BUT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING NEXT!", things like that just arn't on British TV, we have more sob stories.

It makes me lul at the British stereotype of being really posh, I'm used to British schools were it really isnt posh xD we're all the same though, really; Americans are just more tanned and glamorous version.

Shauna
Their accent makes them sound so smart and sophisticated D:

Haha, you really haven't heard some British accents. xD

Dreddz
They think everyone in Britain has a London accent and were all very posh. I guess they've never seen Northern England. They're probably better off that way.

Quindiana Jones
02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
What's up with the dissing of the North, kids?

Northcrest
02-17-2008, 11:53 PM
I think British have awesome accents. I don't think that America thinks that we saved the british butt. I mean during around I think the 1700's we got saved by the Bristish during the French and Indian War, and during the American Revolution we would've lost to the British if the French and Spainards didn't come to help. I'm not trying to say that we're weak neither am I saying that we r the king of War. Plus I do think that the British have it way better than America. At least your ruler isn't an idiot like George.

Madame Adequate
02-17-2008, 11:56 PM

They're common.

Avarice-ness
02-17-2008, 11:57 PM
You're a person like me.

Other than an accent, I'd assume you do the same basic stuff as the rest of us do.

Zeldy
02-17-2008, 11:59 PM

They're common.

We aren't common ;__;

Quindiana Jones
02-18-2008, 12:00 AM

They're common.

I'm sorry, I didn't get that. I couldn't hear through your white mask.

Montoya
02-18-2008, 12:02 AM
I have a half-British friend that went to England and didn't have nice things to say. Lot of negative comments thrown at him whenever he talked and people realized he was American.

I think the British are more liberal and speak differently. Plus they live on an island, which sounds like fun.

Rye
02-18-2008, 12:02 AM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ryechuuu/cecry.gif

Avarice-ness
02-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Oh well..

I can say american entertainment has a bad habbit of making british people either stuck up, or have a dirty accent and bad teeth.

Strawberry_Mew
02-18-2008, 02:28 AM
I find British people really charming lol. I like the sound of their voice XD

Roto13
02-18-2008, 02:29 AM
I don't think Americans are popular anywhere these days. Hell, they're even unpopular in America.

Miriel
02-18-2008, 02:49 AM
I have no preconceptions about British people as a whole, other than their accents are different than ours and their money is worth more.

Yes, pretty much.

Although I also have the notion that the British culinary scene is pretty blah compared to the rest of the world but I dunno how true this may be. A lot of the countries and places that I plan on visiting in the future, I'm interested in because of their food culture. Japan, Italy, Spain, Thailand, American South, etc. I have pretty much no interest in visiting England at all. I'm figuring this lack of interest is due to the lack of any true foodie experience I think England would offer me.

NeoCracker
02-18-2008, 03:10 AM
Oh well..

I can say american entertainment has a bad habbit of making british people either stuck up, or have a dirty accent and bad teeth.

Well in America's defense they really do have bad teeth. :D

Chimp
02-18-2008, 03:14 AM
Baud teeuth, kuind ouf uugly, dreussed blaundly, buut wuith au certaiun wuit aund chaurm thuat ius preutty awesoume.

Shiny
02-18-2008, 03:20 AM
I don't think Canadians are popular anywhere these days. Hell, they're even unpopular in North America.

With that said, I like British and Spanish accents.

Momiji
02-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Man, I'm American and even I hate my culture. But I don't know much about British culture to make judgments, and if I had to, all I'd have to judge from is what I see on BBC America on TV.

Laddy
02-18-2008, 03:32 AM
I hate my country, the South is a dirty, sad place. I reall hate this smurfing country. As for me, I love Britain, although I'm your typical loud and proud American, I'm liberal, and very open-minded. I view Brits as more subtle, calm Americans, with awesome accents.

BTW, quick question, what does an American accent sound like? Like, your typical American accent, no Midwest, New England, or South put it? IT BUGS ME!

BardTard
02-18-2008, 03:37 AM
I don't really think of them as any different, just with sexy accents. Like if I'm out in public and some stranger starts talking with a British accent I'll start smiling and blushing like OMG that's the hottest thing ever. Yes, that has happened before. My boyfriend's British. :D I looooooooooove hearing him talk!

Baud teeuth, kuind ouf uugly, dreussed blaundly, buut wuith au certaiun wuit aund chaurm thuat ius preutty awesoume.

Are you my ex-boyfriend? He says that all the time and I disagree.

rubah
02-18-2008, 03:42 AM
They're all either chavs or scousers obviously.

Shoeberto
02-18-2008, 04:02 AM
Ewww, no wonder so many of those people lived up to the stereotype. xD Come east sometime, people are so much cooler here. California is cool though. It's like New York's sunny and fruity cousin. It's the only other state I could ever see myself living in for a long time, besides MA or Hawaii.

I probably offended half of the country. Sorry guys!
New York and California = Real America
Everywhere else = ???

Don't got much to say about Brits. They talk funny.

Young Mally
02-18-2008, 07:17 AM
I hate the world,damit Bush!!! Bring our soulja's home damit!!!

Jings
02-18-2008, 12:53 PM
They think all Brits are English D:

Sergeant Hartman
02-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Wales? You mean like the big fish?

Jings
02-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Even I don't know what or where Wales is.

~*~Celes~*~
02-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Having an English boyfriend and some friends from there as well dictates I have at least SOME positive feelings about them :D

The accents are amazing :heart: He's from the northwest. When he talks to me, he tends to...dumb it down, I suppose you would say...so I can understand him over the Britishness. It's quite sexy, though, when he's talking to his family and I can hear the accent stronger than ever <3

How do I view the English in general? Fun, outgoing, smart, and not afraid to tell us Americans that our place is in the kitchen :rolleyes2

Paul makes tea tax jokes at me ALL THE TIME :nonono:

Are you my ex-boyfriend? He says that all the time and I disagree.My ex would say things like that too. Funny how life works out and we both got British boys in the end, isn't it? :p best part is, they love us and we love them :heart:

Madame Adequate
02-18-2008, 03:18 PM
They think all Brits are English D:

You are. Deal with it.

Quindiana Jones
02-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Hush it, MULF.

demondude
02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
There are lots of different accents in England.

-Welsh
-Scottish
-Northern
-Cockney
And of course good 'ol southern.
So who called us boring. :p

Also those complaining about their American culture we're just one big political steam train at the moment.
But we're big on football too if that helps.

Jess
02-18-2008, 03:35 PM
5 accents? There are more than 5 different accents in Britain. :jess:

demondude
02-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Those were off the top of my head. :D

scrumpleberry
02-18-2008, 04:08 PM

They're common.

:cry:

Shauna
02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
There are lots of different accents in England.

-Welsh
-Scottish
-Northern
-Cockney
And of course good 'ol southern.
So who called us boring. :p

Dude, I can't believe you just said that. You're English man, you should know that England doesn't mean the whole of Britain! :cry: All hope in the world, DASHED.

demondude
02-18-2008, 04:26 PM
You get them in England still there are lots of people with Welsh accents on the border of Wales and some Scottish accents up north. :p

Shauna
02-18-2008, 04:29 PM
We're talking about Britain here, not just England though. xD Sorry for confusion... :p

Sergeant Hartman
02-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Birmingham!

Psychotic
02-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Pretty much every town has its own accent in Britain. You can't even just blandly say "Scottish" 'cause I for one could probably tell the difference between a Glaswegian and somebody from the Highlands.

DK
02-18-2008, 05:02 PM

All Scousers are chavs you ignorant outsider!

KentaRawr!
02-18-2008, 05:45 PM
American Cartoons very commonly give the stuck-up characters an English accent to them, or as very rich and snobby, so that at least speaks for the common opinion. Also, a friend of mine seems to have some kind of undying hatred towards Britain, as he claims that every British person believes that they're better than everyone else, so there's his.

I, though, find that I can't make a valid opinion, as I've never been to any parts of Britain, and the only people from Britain I've spoken with was over text, on these boards.

demondude
02-18-2008, 06:41 PM
American Cartoons very commonly give the stuck-up characters an English accent to them, or as very rich and snobby, so that at least speaks for the common opinion. Also, a friend of mine seems to have some kind of undying hatred towards Britain, as he claims that every British person believes that they're better than everyone else, so there's his.

I, though, find that I can't make a valid opinion, as I've never been to any parts of Britain, and the only people from Britain I've spoken with was over text, on these boards.

He's not wrong. :D

Faded Tears
02-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I think of Brits as Americans that talk funny and wear coats more often.

That sums it up for me.

Zeldy
02-18-2008, 11:09 PM

qft.

I am not a scouser, before SOMEBODY comments; I live in Merseyside, but I am not one of them ;__;

Cookie
02-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Calm down, calm down.

Zeldy
02-18-2008, 11:23 PM
whatever, JOE.

Madame Adequate
02-18-2008, 11:52 PM

I know a scouse lad pretty well at uni and he's by no means a chav.

Jess
02-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Steven Gerrard is a God of a man and he is a scouse. :jess:

Poor call, dandan. :(

Shoeberto
02-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Pretty much every town has its own accent in Britain. You can't even just blandly say "Scottish" 'cause I for one could probably tell the difference between a Glaswegian and somebody from the Highlands.
Highlanders carry swords and are immortal, duh.

DK
02-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Steven Gerrard is a God of a man and he is a scouse. :jess:

Poor call, dandan. :(

And he's the kind of man who would pocket your wallet when you're a bit pissed and trying to play the trivia machine in the pub. Does it matter that he gets paid £100,000 a week? Does it smurf, he's a scouser.

Caraliz
02-19-2008, 01:39 AM
I love their accents and they generally seem posh, except for the ones who speak in a Cockney accent. :jess:

Yamaneko
02-19-2008, 02:04 AM
Too much in-breeding for my tastes.

DK
02-19-2008, 02:12 AM
Does that mean Agent Proto is really British? :confused:

Randgris
02-19-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm not American, but I love British accents. its so polished and well refined. But what about Americans/British to Asians? What do you think of us?

Loony BoB
02-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Calm down, calm down.
:<3::<3::<3::<3::<3::<3::<3::<3::<3:

British people are pretty average as far as I'm concerned. The only difference between NZ'ers and Brits is that the British care more about money, prefer going out than going to someone else's place (this is probably due to the massive difference in residential housing, mind you). Oh, and they aren't as multicultural as NZ are, either - although I understand that's possibly more a Scotland thing. I'm fairly sure London is very multicultural, at least it seemed a bit more so during my few trips there.

Chimp
02-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Are you my ex-boyfriend? He says that all the time and I disagree.

Yes.

Cz
02-20-2008, 10:01 PM
I wish we were more like the stereotype. I can't find a good scone anywhere. :(

Quindiana Jones
02-20-2008, 10:02 PM
God I love scones.....mmmm.....with a nice cuppa tea.

Cz
02-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Come to think of it, there's no decent crumpet around for miles either. Why hasn't the Daily Mail picked up on this?

stalpho slayer
02-21-2008, 12:07 AM
psy you might need to change holidays

personally as an american i think brits are pretty cool just like irish

Ouch!
02-21-2008, 12:16 AM
I like the Brits slightly more than most of my fellow Americans, but they're not quite as awesome as Australians. Still, most of 'em are hoopy froods in their own right.