PDA

View Full Version : Wii virtual console.

demondude
02-18-2008, 03:02 PM
I've just found the marvel that is wii shop channel and I'm impressed, so impressed in fact that I just cant restrain myself from making a purchase.

But what should I get? I have my eye on the Internet channel but I'm unsure whether its actually very good. I'm also intrigued by some of the Nintendo 64 games.
Any advice on whats good and what isn't? Is the Internet channel good or is it lousy and not worth 500 points?

KentaRawr!
02-18-2008, 04:30 PM
I got the Internet Channel because at the time, it was free. I, personally, wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't for the Flash Version of Duck Hunt. But, alas, there are much better things than Duck Hunt.

As for VC games, I recommend Star Fox 64 out of the ones I've gotten. However, the most effective way to decide what you want would be to find the name of one you're interested in, and then look it up on Youtube.

JKTrix
02-18-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't think I'd pay $5 for the Internet channel, 'specially since we have computers and stuff. Maybe you can try and rewind time to a year ago, and you could get it for free.

As for 64 games, I'd recommend Sin & Punishment. It's one of the more 'premium' (expensive) games since it's an import. It was never released outside of Japan until the Virtual Console (though almost everything was in English already), so it's likely to be something you haven't played before. It was made by Treasure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Co._Ltd), a company that's generally revered among shooter fans. I have it myself, and I've played through it a few times. As an arcade shooter styled game though, you can expect it to be short.

Crossblades
02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Paper Mario, Star Fox 64, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3, Shining Force, and Breath of Fire II are good purchases(assuming you dont have the GBA versions). And today Phantasy Star II was released on the Virtual Console. I never played it, but I've heard great things about that game

demondude
02-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeah I had my eye on Phantasy star but I was unsure.

Roogle
02-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Does anyone know why the Internet Channel costs money now? Is the Internet Channel that costs money an improvement over the Internet Channel that was free — does anyone know?

demondude
02-18-2008, 07:03 PM
I think when the Internet channel was free it was still in development.

Dreddz
02-18-2008, 07:11 PM
If Phantasy Star II was released today then get that. You wont be disappointed unless you dislike RPG's or difficult games.

Shoeberto
02-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Does anyone know why the Internet Channel costs money now? Is the Internet Channel that costs money an improvement over the Internet Channel that was free — does anyone know?
Originally it was a public beta.

I really can't wait for some real WiiWare a la Live Arcade to come out. Guess it's still a little ways off though.

Roto13
02-18-2008, 07:56 PM
If Phantasy Star II was released today then get that. You wont be disappointed unless you dislike RPG's or difficult games.
It was. :P Along with Ninja Gaiden III.

Originally it was a public beta.

I really can't wait for some real WiiWare a la Live Arcade to come out. Guess it's still a little ways off though.
After the full version came out, it was free for a few months as well. I guess as kind of a thanks to the people who beta tested the trial version.

It's kinda worth it, if you can think up clever ways to use it. I use it for two things. 1) Watching YouTube videos on tv is awesome, and 2) Wiicade (www.wiicade.com) has some really neat flash games designed around the Wii browser. If those appeal to you, definitely check it out. If not, it's probably not worth the price as long as you have a computer.

As for VC games, my personal favourites are Comix Zone, Bubble Bobble, Toejam and Earl, Legend of Mystical Ninja, Paper Mario, and Mario 64.

I think it's launching some time in March, so not too far off.

Momiji
02-19-2008, 03:05 AM
I love the Virtual Console. I use it to get the games I used to have back in the day that I either lost/my mom sold them/don't work anymore, and so far I have bought:

Internet Channel (YouTube on TV= Yes Please)
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Paper Mario
LoZ: A Link to the Past
Bubble Bobble
Milon's Secret Castle
Super Metroid
Shining in the Darkness

^_^

Crossblades
02-19-2008, 04:20 AM
Shining in the Darkness

^_^

How is Shining in the Darkness? I've been wanting to purchase it for a while, but I was a bit skeptical about it

JKTrix
02-19-2008, 12:40 PM
I see that NONE of you people have bought Sin & Punishment. Buy it!

Momiji
02-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Shining in the Darkness

^_^

How is Shining in the Darkness? I've been wanting to purchase it for a while, but I was a bit skeptical about it

It's very Dragon Warrior-esque. I'd say get it if you like that style.

Crossblades
02-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Shining in the Darkness

^_^

It's very Dragon Warrior-esque. I'd say get it if you like that style.

I like Dragon Warrior =)

Well, if it is like Dragon Warrior, I guess I'll give it a shot

Skyblade
02-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Shining in the Darkness

^_^

It's a labyrinth based dungeon crawler. Not a bad game (and it gave rise to the awesome Shining Force series), but it can and probably will drive you nuts. Finding a map of the levels online will help some, but of course that's up to you.

I just wish I didn't need a wireless router to get access to the VC games. :(

Momiji
02-20-2008, 02:03 AM
Shining in the Darkness

^_^

It's a labyrinth based dungeon crawler. Not a bad game (and it gave rise to the awesome Shining Force series), but it can and probably will drive you nuts. Finding a map of the levels online will help some, but of course that's up to you.

I just wish I didn't need a wireless router to get access to the VC games. :(

You don't. You can have a wired connection, as well.

Roto13
02-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Apparently the March release date for WiiWare is Japan only. Whoops. The American WiiWare launches in May. >_>

Clawsze
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Apparently the March release date for WiiWare is Japan only. Whoops. The American WiiWare launches in May. >_>

Is the UK/Europe launch in May as well? Or are we left out for 6 months, as always.

Bloodline666
02-20-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't have a Wii, but my brother does. He bought the Internet Channel. However, I'm the one who bought the Virtual Console games that are on his Wii. After getting the first three Zelda games, I cleverly waited until Super Street Fighter II was released, which I ended up getting.

Roto13
02-20-2008, 05:53 PM
I haven't heard anything regarding the European release of WiiWare.

JKTrix
02-20-2008, 06:23 PM

Just thought I should point out that you cannot pulg an ethernet cable directly into the Wii. You have to buy a USB Lan adapter (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1u6b-71-10v-77-d-49-en-15-wii usb-84-j-70-1slw.html) of some sort in order to use a wired connection.

Skyblade
02-20-2008, 10:51 PM

Just thought I should point out that you cannot pulg an ethernet cable directly into the Wii. You have to buy a USB Lan adapter (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1u6b-71-10v-77-d-49-en-15-wii usb-84-j-70-1slw.html) of some sort in order to use a wired connection.

That'll probably be much easier to get and set up than a new router. Thanks for the info, Momiji and JK.