PDA

View Full Version : FF IV:The After cast of characters(part of the page is still under construction)

Crossblades
02-19-2008, 07:58 PM
FINAL FANTASY IV THE AFTER-月の帰還-|キャラクター (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mobile/ff/ff4after/characters/index.html)

Elpizo
02-19-2008, 08:28 PM
What I dislike so much about this sequel is the fact that the chances of it appearing outside of Japan are next to zero. If it weren't for mobile phones, I wouldn't mind a sequel so much (though I still think a sequel wasn't necesary). At least the character artwork looks nice and the sprites aren't that shabby. Just wish we could play it. Rydia's my second favourite FF female ever. I'd just love to play another game with her in it (since the chances of her appearing outside FF IV universe are also next to zero. And the chances of her appearing in Dissidia are less than zero).

*sigh* Why, SE, why?

Evastio
02-20-2008, 03:30 AM
Wow. The characters look so, old. I guess that's to be expected though.

I find some of the new character designs cool like Yang's, Gilbert's, and Rosa's. The rest I find a bit awkward. I guess I'll get used to it though.

I'm looking forward to seeing more updates.

hhr1dluv
02-20-2008, 04:25 AM
This is definitely the only mobile phone game I've ever been even remotely interested in playing.

Hey, shouldn't mobile phone ROMs exist? Pardon my wording if it's wrong, I don't know much about technology. But, I'm sure someone can make the game downloadable and translate it. :D

Vermachtnis
02-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Whoa, Porom got hot.

Takara
02-20-2008, 05:46 AM
Whoa, Porom got hot.

No kidding.

I'm still not very happy about the sequel, but at least the artwork and the sprites are nice.

Kawaii Rykishi
02-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Palom turned into a badass, while Porom became a harlot.

And they must have changed the rules of the World of Phantom Beasts or something, or else Lydia should be an old woman--if not dead--by now.

Roogle
02-20-2008, 04:06 PM
I am assuming that Rydia decided to come back to the real world after staying in the World of Phantom Beasts. Maybe she realized that she would die an early death and that she should have been back at the Village of Mist to train the few survivors that were left, or maybe it is a reference to her ageless nature because every character, if I recall correctly, had an, at least, somewhat assumed or given age in promotional materials except for Rydia after her reappearance.

I think that the new designs are very interesting and I hope that Square Enix considers a port of some kind to a medium that players outside of Japan can enjoy. I know that Square Enix realizes that they alienate players outside of Japan when they decide to release mobile games, but they must consider it a better marketing move if they can increase their sales in Japan in the short term rather than market it worldwide in the long term.

Bahamut2000X
02-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Whoa, Porom got hot.

My how they grow. :cry: Though I'm shocked I never much liked Porom she was always meh for me, but now she's the hot one, *almost* comparable to Rydia....almost.

Part of me is excited for this because FFIV is one of my favorite FF's ever. Though another part of me fore sees this being as bad of an idea as X-2.

scrumpleberry
02-20-2008, 11:02 PM
I like both of the twins. Porom's little scowl is dead cute. Yang's 'stache = epic lulz. I like Rosa. New main seems...generic.

NeoCracker
02-21-2008, 12:08 AM
I'd like to say Rydia Remains really, really hot.

And now, the harlot isn't comparable.

Roogle
02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
I like both of the twins. Porom's little scowl is dead cute. Yang's 'stache = epic lulz. I like Rosa. New main seems...generic.

Well, I am wondering why the only new character on there is Theodore. Will the game consist of him and all of the old playable characters from Final Fantasy IV except for Tellah and FuSoYa? Who will fill their role in gameplay, if applicable?

Kawaii Rykishi
02-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Like Before Crisis, The After is going to be chapter-based, meaning they can introduce new characters as they see fit. There's also a character called the "Mysterious Man" who was seen fighting alongside Ceodore in the demo, although his self-deprecating dialogue implies he's just Cain in disguise.

Bolivar
02-21-2008, 11:39 PM
seems interesting, i'll be looking forward to details when it comes out. How long after the original is this supposed to take place?

Bahamut2000X
02-22-2008, 02:33 AM
I was checking out FF wiki and the info they gave (I'm assuming translated from The After web site) 17 years.

Vermachtnis
02-22-2008, 02:45 AM
Whoa, 17 years. Everyone's like old now. But that would explain why Edward doesn't look completely useless anymore. And I wonder if that means Ceo is Cecil and Rosa's kid.

Kawaii Rykishi
02-22-2008, 06:50 AM
It does.

Roogle
02-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Like Before Crisis, The After is going to be chapter-based, meaning they can introduce new characters as they see fit. There's also a character called the "Mysterious Man" who was seen fighting alongside Ceodore in the demo, although his self-deprecating dialogue implies he's just Cain in disguise.

Have you had the opportunity to play the demo? I have not read about this game and I would, at some point, like to read an indepth walkthrough or playthrough of the game. What is its release date in Japan for the first chapter?

KoShiatar
02-22-2008, 04:04 PM
I didn't really feel the need for this game, but if it's going to be there, I hope I'll get a chance to play it.
Who did the character designs? They look clearly Amano-inspired, especially Rydia's, but they're not quite the same.

Kawaii Rykishi
02-22-2008, 09:19 PM

Have you had the opportunity to play the demo? I have not read about this game and I would, at some point, like to read an indepth walkthrough or playthrough of the game. What is its release date in Japan for the first chapter?

I've only read reports from people who have played it, as well as seen screenshots from the Japanese press. Apparently, the first chapter was released last Monday, February 18.
I didn't really feel the need for this game, but if it's going to be there, I hope I'll get a chance to play it.
Who did the character designs? They look clearly Amano-inspired, especially Rydia's, but they're not quite the same.I'm not absolutely sure, but it seems to be Akira Oguro (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff4ds/swf/dl_images/sp_4s.jpg).

KoShiatar
02-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks Kishi. Is he the same who is credited in some websited to have worked on character design for FF X? (I believed Nomura only had done that.)

Kawaii Rykishi
02-23-2008, 03:47 PM
I believe Oguro's only credit on FFX was storyboard designer.

Roogle
02-25-2008, 09:42 PM
I've only read reports from people who have played it, as well as seen screenshots from the Japanese press. Apparently, the first chapter was released last Monday, February 18.

I have done a little research on the title, too. I'm wondering if that was the free prologue that is available to Japanese gamers through their mobile phones or if that is the real first chapter of the game that one must pay to play.

I look forward to a website documenting the game, at least, similar to Zarathustra: A Pied Piper Translation Project (http://zarathustra.kaisho.org/).

Momiji
02-27-2008, 01:01 AM
WHY? WHY on EARTH would they make a sequel to such a great game...on a mobile phone? At least put it on GBA or something!

This really upsets me. FFIV is one of my favorites, and I can't believe I have to play it on a phone if I want to play it. :(

Kawaii Rykishi
02-27-2008, 10:15 AM
The GBA is a dead platform worldwide, while mobile phones are a very viable one in Japan. But since Square recently announced they'd be releasing an enhanced version of Front Mission 2089, another mobile game, for the DS, it's not beyond hope that this could receive the same treatment eventually.

Selena_Akariko
02-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Rosa and Rydia are just plain beautiful. :) Don't even have enough words to describe them :)

And since when does Porom have pink hair and a pink outfit?! T_T I have to admit though, she's quite pretty

Palom is cool-looking

Wow, never thought Edward (or Gilbart, as he's called there) could look manly 0_o

Everybody else also looks very nice :)

Momiji
02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
The GBA is a dead platform worldwide, while mobile phones are a very viable one in Japan. But since Square recently announced they'd be releasing an enhanced version of Front Mission 2089, another mobile game, for the DS, it's not beyond hope that this could receive the same treatment eventually.

I'd hope so. I really don't want to play a game on my cell phone when (technically) gaming is not something cell phones were made for. I hope they do make it for the DS as well (I wouldn't even care if they didn't redo the graphics, as long as it looks okay).

Roogle
02-27-2008, 03:34 PM

Do you know the length of time between the release of Front Mission 2089 on mobile phones and the announcement of the enhanced version on a portable gaming system? I am worried that the marketing model for Final Fantasy IV the After will interfere with a potential release outside of the mobile market.

Kawaii Rykishi
02-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Front Mission 2089 was originally an August 2005 release. The DS incarnation was announced in September 2007, at the Tokyo Game Show.

Evastio
03-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Anyone notice that Luca (dwarf princess) is a playable character now?

Or is it a different Luca or something?

Kawaii Rykishi
03-08-2008, 11:48 PM
No, that's Giott's daughter, all right. Square has apparently decided that dwarves are just short black people now.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/tsfhofb.png

Bahamut2000X
03-08-2008, 11:53 PM
No, that's Giott's daughter, all right. Square has apparently decided that dwarves are just short black people now.

Short black AND fat. Anyone else think SE is trying to stick in some racial stereotypes into the games cast? :shifty:

Evastio
03-09-2008, 12:07 AM

:(

How was I supposed to know that's still the Dwarf Luca if they changed her character design so much? :(

Kawaii Rykishi
03-09-2008, 12:20 AM
The headpalming was in response to Square's ridiculous design change, not anything you did.

Vermachtnis
03-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Wow. Yea that looks nothing like Luca. Where's the pointy helmet!?

Takara
03-10-2008, 05:55 AM
Luca looks like a short, stocky, afro-american soccer mom on vacations in Disneyland with that pink jumpsuit, fanny pack, and sun visor?

Roogle
03-11-2008, 03:54 PM
The headpalming was in response to Square's ridiculous design change, not anything you did.

Kawaii Rykishi, do you know if the original character design by Yoshitaka Amano was similar to that of the sprite? Is this a complete design change or were the dwarves always meant to be black people? I was under the impression that they were wearing very shrouding clothing and that their true nature was obscured from the player to draw an air of mystery.

I wonder why she changed so much? Does anyone think that they'll try to explain this in the game? Does anyone have a translation of the small description included with her character sprite?

The character sprite seems to hint at a job class identical or similar to Cid's — so, if I had to guess, I would say that she is a less physically powerful Cid with a new command to make up for it, like Mix, for example?

Kawaii Rykishi
03-11-2008, 04:30 PM
I was under the impression that they were wearing very shrouding clothing and that their true nature was obscured from the player to draw an air of mystery.
This is correct. They were not unlike Black Mages.

Roogle
03-11-2008, 05:03 PM
It is difficult for me to understand:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/archive/f/f9/20071101153931%21Luca.gif http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/archive/0/05/20071101154048%21Giott_map_sprite.gif

So they were really just short, black people all along! Huh. I never would have guessed. I wonder if they will address it in the game. I can see a scene like, "Oh, so that's what those dwarves really look like!"

Vyk
03-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Man.. Just listening to the music on there gets me x_x; fond memories. They seem to be doing okay keeping the style. i.e. recycling sprites and such haha

Evastio
03-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Looks like Ursula (some Martial Artist of sorts) has been updated on the site. I'm guessing she's Yang's daughter.

Bahamut2000X
03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Terrible name, decent character art.

Roogle
03-24-2008, 09:33 PM
That Chinese traditional dress appears to be the attire of a female Monk in the Final Fantasy series, certainly. Lenna wore a similar costume in her Monk job class.

Kawaii Rykishi
03-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Ursula is a wonderful name.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/kikitoursula.jpg

marysonnie
03-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Well, if Ursula is Yang's daughter she must take after her mother.

Takara
03-25-2008, 05:43 PM
If she is Yang's daughter, that was a terrible choice for a name and hair colour. I love the name, and I love blonde hair, but in my head, Fabul is the Orient of FFIV. Dark hair would have been more appropriate, IMO, as well as an Asian name.

This is me, shaking my head at SE. And while they're having fun milking another cow, we still don't have any news about a localisation for FFIV-DS.

Roogle
03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
I think that the costume design is very accurate and loyal to the series. I think that the character design itself is analogous to what happened to Luca. What direction will the game take with these strange looking people?

Kawaii Rykishi
03-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Maybe there's a plot twist that Yang got busy with Rosa.

Takara
03-27-2008, 02:56 AM
Either that, or Yang's Wife got busy with Kain?

Roto13
04-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Most of those characters don't really look old enough, especially Palom and Porom. Shouldn't they be, like, 30 by now? They only look a few years older.

Stupid Japan.

Lawr
04-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Is it me or does Gilbart look more like a monk, or a Fighter from FFTA? Maybe he manned up and lost his harp stroking ways and chose the path of victory!

scrumpleberry
04-06-2008, 05:49 PM
ZOMG LUCA THE DWARF PRINCESS YESSSSS

:love:

Ursula is a wonderful name.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/kikitoursula.jpg

Very much so. Ghibli ftw. But I do think the's going to be the bratty character, which makes me apprehensive.

Rase
04-06-2008, 09:55 PM
lol at Cid, Yang, and Luca.

Anyway, yeah, hopefully this eventually reaches the US in a platform that I can actually be bothered to play it on.

Big D
04-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Looks like quite a neat project - and there's even the theoretical possibility of a release on a western-friendly console in the future, presumably. I like how they've kept the look of the original game, assuming those screenshots are actual in-game images from The After.
It's neat that there'll finally be an FF with a cast of mainly over-30 year olds who aren't relegated to "decrepit fuddy-duddy" or "dies in the next chapter" status. A bit of respect for mature characters at last.

Kinda cheap that they gave Porom a translucent negligee for a costume, though. Makes her on-screen sprite look somewhat... naked.

I actually kinda like their depiction of the Dwarves. They looked short, dark and stout in the old game, and except for the costume change, they've stayed pretty true to that - even the bright yellow eyes. Luca's hair colour's a little surprising, but most of the old Dwarves seemed to wear hats anyway. The rest of her outfit, garish colour aside, seems to be thick and heavy - which is fairly consistent with depictions of Dwarves, and their environment.

It's funny... except for the fact that this'll be a cellphone game, it's practically an old-school obsessive's dream-come-true:
* True sequel to an early FF
* Original characters remain, but some new ones brought in too
* No Tetsuya Nomura to be seen
* Original 2-D game environment retained
* Minimal reliance on cheap sluttiness
* Continuation and expansion of the original characters' stories
* Further insight into the world developed in the original game
* Proof that S-E aren't channeling all their resources and creativity into exploiting the 'new' FF games for profit

...So naturally it stands to reason that about 3/4 of the posts in this thread are expressions of complaint:p

Kawaii Rykishi
04-07-2008, 10:01 AM
The visuals are severely dated. They could have used 2D graphics that were true to the original game and still made made the most of modern technology to improve the color palette and level of detail.

KoShiatar
04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure that was really possible on a mobile phone screen... or was it?

Kawaii Rykishi
04-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes, it was. Square Enix is currently making mobile phone games that look better than some PlayStation 2 games. They're at no disadvantage to produce high-quality graphics, whether they're 2D or 3D.

Takara
04-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Most of those characters don't really look old enough, especially Palom and Porom. Shouldn't they be, like, 30 by now? They only look a few years older.

Stupid Japan.

If my memory is correct, the twins are 5 years old in the original. This story is taking place 17 years later, so they are 22 years old in the sequel.

They still look too young, though. -_-

Lawr
04-07-2008, 08:58 PM
5 years old!? I thought they were like 10. But they still look way too young anyway

Takara
04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
No, official material states they're 5 years old.

Kawaii Rykishi
04-07-2008, 11:02 PM
Here are everyone's official ages--first their ages in FFIV, and then, for your convenience, with seventeen years added.

Cecil - 20 - 37
Cain - 21 - 38
Rosa - 19 - 36
Gilbert - 24 - 41
Yang - 35 - 52
Porom - 5 - 22
Palom - 5 - 22
Cid - 54 - 71
Edge - 26 - 43Lydia is seven at first, but there's no account for exactly how much she aged by the time she returned from the World of Phantom Beasts. And considering she goes back to stay there at the end of the game, there's no telling what age she should be in The After. (Like I said before, she should really be dead.)

Big D
04-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Lydia is seven at first, but there's no account for exactly how much she aged by the time she returned from the World of Phantom Beasts. And considering she goes back to stay there at the end of the game, there's no telling what age she should be in The After. (Like I said before, she should really be dead.)Fan reaction would've been even more critical if she's been left out entirely, though - how many Rydia fans wouldn't be a little disappointed to discover that their favourite character had died from old age barely five years after the events of the original game?

Besides, it'll be interesting to see how they justify her being there: perhaps something compelled her to leave the PB World after only a few months, or perhaps that world allows people to remain somehow ageless, once they're adults. They'll either have thought of something, or else they'll simply fail to mention it and hope few people notice.

KoShiatar
04-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Yes, it was. Square Enix is currently making mobile phone games that look better than some PlayStation 2 games. They're at no disadvantage to produce high-quality graphics, whether they're 2D or 3D.

Then I can only think they wanted the game to be appealing for old nostalgic players. There's no other explanation I could think of. Which is too bad, because I highly appreciated the updated graphics in, say, the 20th anniversary FF's.

Roto13
04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Well Palom and Porom still look too young, but at least the whole "still being treated like a kid" thing isn't so ridiculous. :P

Evastio
04-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Leonora's been updated.

By the looks of it I'd say she's probably a white mage of sorts.

Bahamut2000X
04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I like her sprite, but I think her character art is a bit ugly.

Roogle
04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Lydia is seven at first, but there's no account for exactly how much she aged by the time she returned from the World of Phantom Beasts. And considering she goes back to stay there at the end of the game, there's no telling what age she should be in The After. (Like I said before, she should really be dead.)

I remember reading a chapter summary that stated that Queen Asura instructed Rydia to go back to the Village of Mist and help rebuild it. This explains a little bit of it, right?

Does anyone know who Leonora is? Where is she from? What are her abilities?

Evastio
04-22-2008, 07:29 PM
I have no idea. :(

I'm guessing that she's probably from Agart, Mysidia, or Baron though.

Crossblades
04-22-2008, 09:08 PM
I have no idea. :(

I'm guessing that she's probably from Agart, Mysidia, or Baron though.

She could be a Lunarian. What she's wearing could look like something a Lunarian would wear anyway

Roogle
04-22-2008, 09:11 PM
The Final Fantasy Wikia article on Leonora (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Leonora) is only a stub, currently, but it offers you a little more about the character than her artwork and sprite.

Morningstar
04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Luca is.. interesting. Also, why is Porom now a pink Rosa-clone?

Crossblades
04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
The Final Fantasy Wikia article on Leonora (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Leonora) is only a stub, currently, but it offers you a little more about the character than her artwork and sprite.

Well, so much for my theory:p

Takara
04-22-2008, 09:56 PM
So far, I think she's the one with the nicest sprites.

Evastio
04-23-2008, 12:18 AM
It looks like I was right. :D

Evastio
05-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I guess I can double post since this is a timely update.

The site has now revealed Gekkou, Zangetsu, Izayoi, and Tsukinowa. They seem to be Edge's allies.

Bahamut2000X
05-13-2008, 02:56 PM
A whole party of ninjas? Sounds awesome to me. :up:

Roogle
05-13-2008, 07:47 PM
I am sure that some have realized that Final Fantasy IV the After: Tsuki no Kikan features a large cast of characters.

It appears that the plot, as it currently stands, is divded up amongst various characters allowing the player to build and manage full parties simultaneously. Rydia and Luca, for example, team up early on in the game and they are accompanied by those dolls, Cal and Brena, as party members.

Evastio
07-08-2008, 01:05 AM
The site now shows Hal is a new character. I'm guessing she's a scholar or something.

I'm really hoping the last character that they haven't shown yet is Golbez.

Bahamut2000X
07-08-2008, 03:32 AM
If Golbez makes it back from the other side of the universe I'm going to beat up some SE execs.

Evastio
07-09-2008, 02:38 AM
The Lunarian's moon making it back to earth is part of FFIV The After's plot though. It even mentioned that their moon came back to earth on the site.

Evastio
09-25-2008, 09:45 PM
The last character has been revealed as the "Man in Black." He's probably a Lunarian judging by his long white hair.

I'm thinking he may actually be Golbez...

Wolf Kanno
12-27-2008, 07:34 AM
Here's an article (http://www.famitsu.com/k_tai/news/1220825_1350.html) for the game from the Famitsu website.

It has screenshots and an interesting promo poster.

Crossblades
12-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Here's an article (http://www.famitsu.com/k_tai/news/1220825_1350.html) for the game from the Famitsu website.

It has screenshots and an interesting promo poster.

I don't know a lick a Japanese. Is it talking about porting the game to a portable system or is it just giving an overview on the cell phone game?

Takara
01-17-2009, 04:33 AM
After learning about the epilogue of the game, I have the urge to introduce Tokita's skull to a brick wall.

scrumpleberry
01-17-2009, 02:53 PM
This cast is starting to look a bit stupidly huge tbh. If they'd stopped with Luca, that'd be great.