PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice exports large .doc files

Shoeberto
02-21-2008, 05:33 AM
I need it to cut down.

I have a scholarship due in a few weeks, and I went to submit part of it tonight - my essay and resume. However, the submission form only takes uploads in .doc format, and doesn't allow the files to be greater than 60kb. OpenOffice seems to bloat files a lot when it exports them - a 15kb .ods becomes an 85kb .doc.

Does anyone have recommendations to cut down on this? I can't really take any data out of the file (my resume is only one page, and that's over 80kb).

crono_logical
02-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Other than open/resave in Word itself, not sure :p You don't have any images embedded in it or something, do you? :p

rubah
02-21-2008, 02:44 PM
He has bullets, munty. I resaved it for him in textedit and it went down to 20kb but the bullets disappeared since textedit is like 'lol whats a bullet'. He said he resaved it and it went back to 78kb.

Basically, anyone with word needs to try and resave it and see if it dips below 60 :)

Flying Mullet
02-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Do you need someone with Word to do this? If so, I have it.

crono_logical
02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Why should bullets bloat the filesize? :p Seems strange :p

Flying Mullet
02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Bullets can have lead in them and lead is heavy.

Shoeberto
02-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Since the school network was weird earlier and I couldn't actually get here, I just went ahead and used the computer lab to copy and paste into a new Word document. Ended up nearly quartering the filesize. Thanks anyways guys.

rubah
02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Used to be open office doc files were smaller :(

Big D
02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
I never noticed the filesize issue... but Open Office tends to eat pieces of formatting now and then: bullet points, upper and lower margins, that sort of thing. Quite stressful when you're preparing something important like a resume or a court document. For a while, I was dealing with papers where precise formatting was absolutely crucial - the difference between the acceptance or rejection of a $185 court application, so I used a cybercafe to check whether Open Office had done it right.

Gmail can help - if you attach a file, you can view it as an HTML document, which gives you a basic overview of what's worked right and what hasn't.