PDA

View Full Version : I hate Triple Triad with the power of a thousand suns

Captain Maxx Power
02-21-2008, 11:12 PM
God I hate this damn game. But like a sap I'm determined to play a "perfect" game so I have to abolish rules. Right now I'm trying to get rid of Plus in Trabia using the guy in the locker rooms in the Garden (19 hours clocked and I'm not even done with Disc 1 yet), but he f******** refuses to drop that bastard Plus rule. I've counted; 27 times I've tried mixing the rules with Galbadia to get rid of it and each time Same has been established. Anyone have any idea what the odds are of it occurring or even some personal testimony to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Also for a side topic how annoying is Triple Triad, really?

Flying Mullet
02-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Triple Triad is in FFVIII, which makes it inherently annoying.

Tallulah
02-22-2008, 12:09 AM
The Random rule just smurfing ruined it for me. :mad2:

Once you have it, that's it, and it's such a hassle trying to get it abolished. You have to save, start a game, quit and hope for the best... it's pure luck.

Though I remember the first time I played it, on the French version of the game. I just placed a few cards here and there not knowing what the hell I was doing (I didn't have my dictionary near me at the time) and, by some miracle of nature, I won! :D

Jessweeee♪
02-22-2008, 01:11 AM
I LOVE TRIPLE TRIAD :kaoclove:

...I do NOT like the Random rule, though. I don't like not having the Open rule either :p

...but more importantly, the Random rule is awful.

Marshall Banana
02-22-2008, 01:22 AM
I can play Triple Triad for days; I love that I always win. =O

Xurts
02-22-2008, 06:54 AM
There's not really any method you can use to abolish rules faster, it's mostly a matter of luck. Find someone close to a save point and keep mixing rules until the one you want is abolished. Remember that you don't have to play the game, just challenge, mix, and quit right away. I've noticed rules have a tendency to spread more than they are abolished, but it'll eventually happen.

Big D
02-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Triple Triad was neat for two things: getting almighty items by refining rare cards, and defeating the CC group to get an extra scene with Quistis and Squall.

Captain Maxx Power
02-22-2008, 11:40 AM
OK I messed up big time. I tried spreading Same to Trabia to see if I could get rid of Plus by having Same already present. Of course that doesn't work cause now he won't mix rules because there's nothing new. So now I'm going to have to wait until I can get FH's rules to use. FYI this was after about four hours of trying to abolish Plus. I really, really, really, really hate this.

...ah for crap's sake, what moron removed the "Head smashing on wall" smilie from the list? Now I don't even have an adequate expression of my rage. :hot:

blackmage_nuke
02-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I think triple triad for completion or collection purposes is very annoying, but when i play it just for fun and the occasional rare card its rather enjoyable

BG-57
02-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Triple Triad is simply my favorite minigame of any FF.

That being said, I agree that Random is horrible and I'm not such a fan of Same or Plus either.

The hardest part is getting the Laguna card because almost every rule is in effect when you play. I just keep playing away and reset if I lose.

Liberi_Fatali
02-23-2008, 05:09 PM
I really hate the Direct rule.

Captain Maxx Power
02-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Triple Triad is simply my favorite minigame of any FF.

I've already called the hospital. They're sending a guy round with tranquilizers and a straight-jacket to subdue you forthwith.

BG-57
02-24-2008, 01:17 PM
I would describe it more as an addiction than insanity. :p

Xurts
02-24-2008, 06:55 PM
OK I messed up big time. I tried spreading Same to Trabia to see if I could get rid of Plus by having Same already present. Of course that doesn't work cause now he won't mix rules because there's nothing new. So now I'm going to have to wait until I can get FH's rules to use. FYI this was after about four hours of trying to abolish Plus. I really, really, really, really hate this.

...ah for crap's sake, what moron removed the "Head smashing on wall" smilie from the list? Now I don't even have an adequate expression of my rage. :hot:
Yeah, if you spread rules you won't be able to mix anymore. For some regions like Trabia where you only need one card you don't have to abolish every rule. Just abolish Random and spread Open. It shouldn't hard to win then.

Triple Triad is also my favorite FF minigame. IMO, it's so much more enjoyable than Tetra Master or Blitzball. Both of which suck.

Jessweeee♪
02-24-2008, 07:25 PM
I love the plus rule! It's so much fun n.n

...except for when you don't have open and you take a terrible gamble!

Roogle
02-26-2008, 03:20 PM
I thought that the Queen of Cards character was created to allow the player to choose or abolish select rules. I remember coming across her at various points of the game and disregarding her services because I was not a Triple Triad player. Does she charge too much or are her services ineffective?

Liberi_Fatali
02-26-2008, 11:30 PM
The card queen only spreads rules-- she won't eliminate them.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Why are you trying to spread rules in the first place?

Liberi_Fatali
03-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Why are you trying to spread rules in the first place?
That's the point-- I've never met anyone who wants to spread rules. We just want to break them!! So the Card Queen's services are not desirable.

Captain Maxx Power
03-03-2008, 06:23 PM
I've officially given up on Triple Triad for this playthrough. Screw it, I'll just get uber stats the old fashioned way; Abusing Mega-Potion creation and buying materials from the Pet Shop in Esthar.

Cloud88
03-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Actually, (I'm not sure if this will help or hinder, or if you guys already know about this), theres a guy in Balamb who doesn't play with any rules except for One. He abolishes all the rules you're trying to spread. He's down where you board the boat to go on the SeeD mission with Seifer and Zell. It just makes it easier when it gets the rare cards you want. Hope that helps!:)

rubah
03-04-2008, 12:27 AM
the queen is pretty good for when you accidentally abolish open.