PDA

View Full Version : Box box box box box = ?

Momiji
02-22-2008, 02:43 AM
This computer is pretty old, so I can't read languages with different characters, like Japanese. All I see are boxes. So I ask: what can I download so I can read them?

Thanks in advance. <3

rubah
02-22-2008, 03:00 AM
you will be able to read japanese characters if you download an asian character set or an IME.

The character sets probably will require an actual cd copy of windows, so the IME is the easiest way to go about it if you're lacking that; Microsoft Global Input Method Editors (IMEs) (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/recommended/ime/default.mspx)

Momiji
02-22-2008, 03:15 AM
No luck. I downloaded the IME, and it wouldn't install, saying it wouldn't work on my version of Windows (XP.)

rubah
02-22-2008, 03:41 AM
what version of xp?

Momiji
02-22-2008, 03:44 AM
It's either Home or Professional. I can't remember which.

rubah
02-22-2008, 04:08 AM
well I mean like sp1 or sp2 or the OEM version. I guess more pertinent is 'do you have office xp if no click the link to go to the global page'

crono_logical
02-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Windows XP doesn't need a download :p Go to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages > tick Install support for East Asian languages. You can tick the other one too if you want, then apply/OK :p You might need the XP CD or install files to hand though :p

You might be able to get away with installing Office XP instead with such support if you don't have the XP CDs, but I've not tried that way myself before :p

Momiji
02-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Windows XP doesn't need a download :p Go to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages > tick Install support for East Asian languages. You can tick the other one too if you want, then apply/OK :p You might need the XP CD or install files to hand though :p

You might be able to get away with installing Office XP instead with such support if you don't have the XP CDs, but I've not tried that way myself before :p

That's the thing. I can't find the XP CD.

Baloki
02-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Download a copy of XP and burn it then? Since you have a legal key it doesn't matter where you get the CD from.