PDA

View Full Version : don’t listen!

Vincent Valentine 007
02-22-2008, 05:54 PM
I enjoy these forums but the thing I dont like is when people criticize a game when it has just come out , I think if you have just bought a game you shouldn’t go on these forums and be told why its bad and why its good you have to make up your own mind it puts you off the game and gets you thinking the good things and the bad things about it instead of enjoying it! what does everyone think?

KoShiatar
02-22-2008, 06:45 PM
You sure have a point, however it sometimes is possible to get a fairly correct idea of the game from previews and reviews. But sometimes it just get really ridiculous, like when Advent Children had yet to come out and there were people reviewing it on IMDB just cause they had seen the trailers. :P

ReloadPsi
02-22-2008, 07:44 PM
I hear you all on the whole thing of judging by trailers and previews but there's nothing wrong with having an opinion on a game once you've actually played it, even if you played for ten minutes and didn't like it. Hell, I've given enough games a "chance" and still not liked them (basically to stop people accusing me of not giving it a "chance") to fill up about fifteen weekends which I frankly would really like to have back.

Bolivar
02-22-2008, 10:33 PM
That's probably part of the reason I didn't check out the FFXII forum until I had beaten the game and formed my own opinion.

I think there's nothing wrong with forming a negative opinion when a game first comes out as long as you know what you're talking about. If you have yet to play/beat the game, then don't read them. I'll probably do the same when XIII comes out.

Also, some FF-internet-fans are a very cynical bunch, so you just gotta block out the negative, stay with the positive, know what I mean?

Vincent Valentine 007
02-23-2008, 01:08 PM
That's probably part of the reason I didn't check out the FFXII forum until I had beaten the game and formed my own opinion.

I think there's nothing wrong with forming a negative opinion when a game first comes out as long as you know what you're talking about. If you have yet to play/beat the game, then don't read them. I'll probably do the same when XIII comes out.

Also, some FF-internet-fans are a very cynical bunch, so you just gotta block out the negative, stay with the positive, know what I mean?

yea you make a lot of sense really

Jessweeee♪
02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I stay away from those threads if I can help it n.n

Goldenboko
02-23-2008, 04:17 PM
I find that something new is always going to be met with hostility. Originally I hated FFX. But eventually I gave it a few more tries, it grew on me, I beat the game, and it became awesome. Just learn to ignore initial complaints.

theundeadhero
02-23-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't have a problem with people forming opinions and expressing them. That's what communicatoin is all about. If someone forms one prematurely in your eyes give them a chance to develop to see if they keep it or change it.

LunarWeaver
02-23-2008, 07:54 PM
I have no problem reading other's opinions because it doesn't sway my own, and it's inevitable opinions will be fast and fierce when dealing with something popular. When it's popular, it gets extreme to the point of silliness. If opinions had any kind of control over me, I'd hate everything. This is the internet, after all.

Raebus
02-23-2008, 07:59 PM
Its kind of annoying but I try to not pay attention to people who make opinions based on trailers and such.

Evastio
02-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Yeah. Especially with FFIV: The After. :mad:

Vyk
02-23-2008, 11:03 PM
I have a very specific palet for games. They have to be worth my time. Almost from beginning to end. I hate tedium. I can't get into jRPGs anymroe 'cause of the need to grind and such. When people bash a game. I figure they have reason. If its a game I had been looking forward to. I have to realize, it probably won't be perfect. I'd like to know if the flaws cripple the game for me before I waste the money on it..

Roto13
02-24-2008, 12:14 AM
I didn't join a forum to not read people's opinions.

Vincent Valentine 007
02-26-2008, 11:23 PM
but dont you think it puts ideas in your head before you can make your own mind up?

ljkkjlcm9
02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
but dont you think it puts ideas in your head before you can make your own mind up?

I always figured that was the point of forums. For people to express their opinions. You read, see the points of both sides of an issue, then make a decision based off of it. I mean, there are many games I wouldn't buy no matter what people said, and many games I would buy likewise. But for those games I'm not quite sure about, reading others opinions can give me an idea of what to expect if I were to buy the game.

You come here to read opinions. It's the whole point of a forum, to discuss and get advice about things.

THE JACKEL

Roogle
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
I think that it might be seen as rash to criticize a game before its release, but, at the same time, you can tell a lot about how a game will perform based on its reception by video gaming agencies and reviewers. It is one thing to say that Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus was a poorly marketed or poorly made game before its release, but it is another thing to say that Final Fantasy XIII is going to be a mistake based on the trailers that have been released so far.

Why? Because in video gaming journalism, some games tend to have more information released than others, and some games are intended to breach a point of expectations from gamers.