PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Gervais

Jess
02-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Let's discuss Ricky Gervais! Do you like/dislike him?

I think he is fantastic. He co-wrote and co-directed both The Office and Extras and played the lead role and I love them both. I also enjoyed Night at the Museum! I think his podcast with Karl Pilkington and Stephen Merchant is hilarious. I've also been to see him live doing his standup show Fame and have watched Politics and Animals on DVD. He was great live. :jess:

Namelessfengir
02-22-2008, 06:33 PM
okay... lets get some of your statements worked out.

1. the office sucks
2. extras... obviously sucks too
3. night at the museum stared ben stiller so it sucked

as for who this guy is never heard of him... so no hes not funny

Tavrobel
02-22-2008, 06:44 PM
You, sir, are delusional. Gervais is hilarious.

Jess
02-22-2008, 06:45 PM
okay... lets get some of your statements worked out.

1. the office sucks

as for who this guy is never heard of him... so no hes not funny
Just because you haven't heard of somebody it doesn't mean they're not funny. xD

Namelessfengir
02-22-2008, 06:58 PM
yeah i can funny is a matter of taste. if ive never heard of him i can say "hes not funny" cuz i have no proof otherwise. and since his intellectual property is boring and lame i must assume he comedy would be the same

my logic is supreme

Quindiana Jones
02-22-2008, 07:26 PM
<s>okay... lets get some of your statements worked out.

1. the office sucks

as for who this guy is never heard of him... so no hes not funny</s> I AM AN IDIOT.

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. :bigsmile:

I think The Office sucked. And then the Yanks copied it and completely butchered it. Well done, thickos.

Extras was OK.

But I do love Ricky Gervais live. He is hilarious when doing stand-up!

Cz
02-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Didn't like The Office all that much, but Extras was very well done, particularly the recent Christmas special. Gervais' stand up and radio show are decent too. He's not the funniest guy around, but better than most of the people who make it big, so good for him.

Tallulah
02-22-2008, 11:44 PM
I never really got into The Office, and I disliked Extras (my housemates loved it, for some reason, never really understood why)

However, I really like his stand-up work. I wasn't expecting much when I watched the Animals DVD one night with my housemates, but I thought it was really good.

Madame Adequate
02-22-2008, 11:57 PM
He was not absolutely eye-gougingly, walking-out-of-the-theater intolerable in Night at the Museum, and that is the only kind thing I have to say about this man's abilities.

Extras was good fucking awesome when it had real actors in. The rest of the time, it's :skull::skull::skull::skull:.

Heath
02-23-2008, 12:34 AM
I really like Extras and The Office. His stand-up isn't fantastic, but it's watchable and enjoyable enough. Been watching Extras again lately. He's definitely a funny actor and comedian, but there are better ones out there. Even if the only character he actually plays is Ricky Gervais. There are certainly people I prefer to him, such as Paul Merton.

Edit: Though if I'm to be honest, in Extras I much preferred Stephen Merchant.

Edit again: Though I suppose Gervais is playing more of the straight man in Extras than in the past.

Rantz
02-25-2008, 09:28 PM
I think he was exceptionally good in The Office, but he could have ended his acting career with it for what I care. In Night at the Museum and Stardust, it felt as he was just doing the same character in different suits. So as a general actor I wouldn't rate him very high, but for The Office, he was perfect.

As a writer, I haven't seen any more from him outside of The Office, so I can't really judge fairly, but his writing in The Office was superb, and closing the show before its decline shows good judgement.

DK
02-25-2008, 09:33 PM
The only comedy performer currently going around that is less funny than Ricky Gervais is Catherine Tate.

Spiffing Cheese
02-26-2008, 03:00 AM
I loved The Office because it had the ability to embarrass me so much I wanted to cry and be in total hysterics at the same time.

I never watched Extras, and his stand-up's okay.

Loony BoB
02-26-2008, 10:01 AM
The Office was okay, but in the end I got a bit bored.

Extras, the ones I've seen at least, are funny. I loved the one with Patrick Stewart because dammit, the whole "I've seen everything" thing makes me laugh hard every time I hear it. I need to see the rest of the series because I've only seen 2-3 of them. Yeah, three.

I enjoyed the Simpsons episode he wrote and starred in, especially the time where he tells a joke and the time where he sings a song to Marge. Classic moments!

Don't know much about his standup and he'd be hard-pressed to compare to the best of the many, many standups I've seen in my lifetime.

Balzac
02-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Ricky Gervais was best in The 11 O'Clock Show.