PDA

View Full Version : Crystal tools Engine

Depression Moon
02-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I apologize if there was a topic already on this, but I didn't find it so I would like to share with you that Square has changed the name of the White Enigine to the Crystal Tools Engine and they have a watered down version of it for the Wii here's an article listing to it IGN: GDC 2008: Final Fantasy Updates (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/854/854309p1.html)

Ashley Schovitz
02-23-2008, 11:41 PM
You didn't mention if they'r planning on using this for the Xbox too are they?

Captain Maxx Power
02-24-2008, 01:23 AM

First, Square Enix's "White Engine," the companywide technology platform, has been renamed Crystal Tools (and is designed for use with the PS3, 360 and PC).

Vivisteiner
02-24-2008, 10:25 AM
OMG TEH FFXIII IS NO LONGER PS3 EXCLLUSIVE OMGOMGOMG

...not quite.

Bolivar
02-24-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm wondering if this means that games made with this on the ps3 will look just as good as they would on the 360. If so, then this another roadblock in finally getting to see the true potential of the ps3. I thought Square would be the ones to do it, we'll just have to wait and see.

Vyk
02-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Lets hope everyone takes note this time if it works, and abuses their breakthroughs. Unlike on the PS1 when loading times could have all but vanished completely :[ But nobody took Square's lead

Ashley Schovitz
02-24-2008, 11:39 PM

First, Square Enix's "White Engine," the companywide technology platform, has been renamed Crystal Tools (and is designed for use with the PS3, 360 and PC).

Oh Iw as too lazy to read the link. This doesn't refer that the company will try to crossover the game to other companies right?

Captain Maxx Power
02-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh Iw as too lazy to read the link. This doesn't refer that the company will try to crossover the game to other companies right?

No, it just means the engine will probably be up for licensing by other companies. Though knowing Squenix's track record it'll only be given out to very specific companies. It certainly won't be as open as say Source or UnrealEngine 4 are. It will mean that the company will be able to maintain a market share on the three main "hardcore" gaming platforms, though I imagine there's still going to be interest in the Wii (which probably can't even run the CTEngine). I'm actually surprised it's taken them this long to outsource their in-house engines, but I'm guessing CT's is most likely the first complete suite they've ever created i.e. usable by people outside of the company.

toad626
03-07-2008, 10:51 PM
No, the reason is because of the PS3's piss poor sales. SE won't make any money on new games if they don't branch out to the other systems. I knew this was coming. Makes sense to me, as that's what I would do if I was in charge of a 3rd party company. Why stick with one system? Especially when that system is getting its assed kicked by 2 other consoles. Granted it could over take Microsoft in due time, but It's safe to say Nintendo will own this generation. As there's still shortages. I might get one just for Virtual Console as I love my SNES. Licenseing out the engine to other companies is just a side way to make a little extra cash. The big bugs is for their own games appearing across multi platforms. That's how EA got so large.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-07-2008, 11:07 PM
We've considered licensing out Crystal Tools, but this brings with it certain considerations like supporting licensors...which isn't something we want to deal with at the moment.