PDA

View Full Version : Why the Forgotten Capital?

Sephitachi7
02-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Why do you this Aeris' death place was changed from the Great Cave to the forgotten Capital?

Bahamut2000X
02-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Whut? :confused:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-23-2008, 06:03 PM
It wasn't. Stop believing rumors from seven years ago.

Sephitachi7
02-23-2008, 06:38 PM
It is true that they are not fact, but I wouldn't call them rumors because they do have a pretty strong basis. Oh and sorry I forgot to include that I'm basing this on The Final Fantasy VII Citadel: Secrets & Mysteries (http://www.ff7citadel.com/secrets/sa_seen1.shtml). If you read it through to 'What We Shouldn't Have Seen IV' you'll see that they make some pretty compelling arguments as to why this is true.

So I'll rephrase my question. Why do you think that Aeris' death place was chosen to be the Forgotten Capital and not any other place?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm familiar with the article, and the "arguments" it poses are laughable.
So I'll rephrase my question. Why do you think that Aeris' death place was chosen to be the Forgotten Capital and not any other place?What better place to kill the last remaining Ancient than an abandoned city once populated by her kind?

Bolivar
02-23-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm tired of seeing people on the internet using the word "laughable".

The article was interesting, except part of it stems from the authors thoughts on a resurrection scene. The creators have stated that one character was to die, that they determined his from the start, and later that they had no intention of bringing them back. Now, as to if they were going to kill her at the Northern Cave, they post some interesting points but I doubt it. Her only dialogue is minimal, she should have had some when the group is all united before they head out from the cliff climber's house, or the part where Cloud gives a party member the black materia, they all say something then, I think. The one part that is puzzling is why Aeris' theme is playing. My guess is that it's just the music they gave if someone were to access it from the debug room.

Onto your second question, it's a little weird. At that point she knew Sephiroth was going to have her killed, and Aeris knew it could very possibly be Cloud to do it. She also knew that she had to return to the planet to be able to stop Sephiroth, so she wanted to pick a spot where she could die...somewhere serene. I'm guessing she had never been there, and she chose that as the place.

The Crystal
02-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Aerith didn't knew she was going to die, didn't want to, and didn't need to.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-24-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm tired of seeing people on the internet using the word "laughable."And what's with people calling foods "delicious," right?

Sephitachi7
02-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Aerith didn't knew she was going to die, didn't want to, and didn't need to.

Tifa does say that she didn't think Aeris wanted to die at all. But then at the end you see Aeris' face probably symbolizing that she was controlling the lifestream and therefore needed to die in order to return to the planet and do what she needed to do.

As for the arguments being 'laughable', actually I think some of them are pretty strong. This is of course my opinion, but I think a playable character having lines after they are not supposed to is a pretty strong argument to there being some uncertainty of where she was going to die. This does not serve any purpose in testing because they could have done the testing with a playable character.

Bolivar
02-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm tired of seeing people on the internet using the word "laughable."And what's with people calling foods "delicious," right?

I think cliche appeals to internet trendiness are lame and becoming redundant. But that's just me.

Now, as far as what me, sephitachi, and the crystal have been talking about, it's questionable over whether aeris "wanted" to die or not. Tifa does say she doesn't think that was the case at all, and that's obviously the writers pointing towards an alternative. I think she didn't "want to" per se, obviously she was a young woman whose life was just beginning. At the same time, alot had changed, alot had happened, and she knew the only way she could stop Sephiroth was by becoming one with the planet, and subsequently chose the forgotten capital as a place to pray before Sephiroth (or Cloud) came to kill her. She knew no one could protect her, after seeing what happened to Cloud at the temple of the ancients.

The Crystal
02-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Aerith's dead helped to save the planet, but there is no way she could know that, at the time.

If that was her plan, she would have mentioned it in "The Maiden who Travels the Planet", but she didn't. And she wouldn't have said "Then, I'll be going now. I'll come back when it's all over." to Cloud in his dream.

She was there to summon Holy. The spell would destroy Meteor, and screw with Sephiroth's plans. Why she would want to die? To help destroy something that would have already been destroyed by Holy?

Aerith wanting to die, don't make any sense within the story, it's not backed up by any official source, and it's contradicted by Aerith herself(in Cloud's dream).

Bolivar
02-24-2008, 10:47 PM
That's true, but didn't holy have the opposite effect when it was summoned?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-25-2008, 01:51 AM
Holy had the opposite effect...of Meteor. It drove it back, although it ultimately needed the Lifestream's assistance to finish the job.

I think cliche appeals to internet trendiness are lame and becoming redundant.I must be oblivious to that particular vein of "Internet trendiness." I only used the word because it best suited my opinion.

The Crystal
02-25-2008, 04:28 PM

No, it didn't. That was an error of the translators.

Big D
02-25-2008, 10:16 PM

No, it didn't. That was an error of the translators.Indeed. It wasn't "having the opposite effect", rather it was "doing more harm than good". Meteor had already fallen so low that Holy had to be at a very low altitude to counter it; the clash between the two powers was so close to the ground that the energy was harming Midgar.

Roogle
02-25-2008, 10:26 PM
I think that the Forgotten Capital had a special significance to the background story of Aerith Gainsborough; furthermore, I would have liked to see her thoughts of that area from her perspective before her death, and I think that would have given us the insight needed to understand why the Forgotten Capital was the fitting location of her demise.

Fynn
02-26-2008, 10:17 PM
I think they did intend to make Aeris live a little longer, but then changed the location of her death to the Forgotten Capital, so that it would make no sense. It was a little out of place to make you take part in a carefree snowboarding mini-game after her death, though...

cloud21zidane16
02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
I heard somewhere once that it was to seperate the story a little, because having her killed at Northern Cave along with meteor being summoned, the weapons being released and Cloud going missing would have been to much in one go;)
Makes sense i guess:)

MJN SEIFER
02-27-2008, 10:45 PM

Yes it was laughable, but seeing as the whole article is a joke then surley it was meant to be laughable*.

*I still fell for it all though.

Sephitachi7
03-14-2008, 07:27 PM

Yes it was laughable, but seeing as the whole article is a joke then surley it was meant to be laughable*.

*I still fell for it all though.

It was not meant to be a joke. And the arguments were not 'laughauble' but actually very solid. There of course is no way in telling now that the site is no more, at least last time I checked.

MJN SEIFER
03-15-2008, 06:12 PM
If it's the article I think it is, then the writer actually admited it was a joke/hoaxs. I will link to the page when I can.