PDA

View Full Version : FRAPS

Carl the Llama
02-24-2008, 12:35 PM
ok so I want to make some vids for youtube but dont know if FRAPS is classed as as a 3rd party bannable program so my question is this: is FRAPS a program that will get me banned or not? also if its a no do you know of a way to reduse the size of the said video's or another program that allowes me to make game vids?

Bahamut2000X
02-24-2008, 04:20 PM
I doubt it. I've used it before (though not recently) and never got in trouble. It's also a background type program which doesn't affect FFXI like other 3rd party programs so I dunno if they can even trace it back to you. Regardless lot's of people use FRAPS or some similar form for taking pics and videos and don't get in trouble so I'm sure your fine. :)

Del Murder
02-24-2008, 05:32 PM
The things that will get you banned are those that give you some kind of unfair advantage in the game. Like running faster or auto-claiming certain monsters.

Renmiri
02-24-2008, 06:02 PM
I haven't used FRAPS but I use Autoscreenrecorder for my SL movies. It records in high def AVI format, which makes each movie HUGE, like hundreds of megabites

I use Quickvideo converter 2.0 to convert it to Flash or wmv or other smaller format, but quality does suffer a lot. What is worse, unlike digital movies, a screencapture movie really suffers: text on screen gets almost unreadable with any lowering of the quality, same for icons or menus.

Check out my Autoscreen attempts here (uploaded the original AVI to youtube, no conversion)

YouTube - FFX at Second Life - Besaid Temple (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl2NGmmEYBM)

YouTube - 20 years of Final Fantasy Anniversay party at Second Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWfw_hNWg6o)

Markus. D
02-26-2008, 01:51 AM
You must include the squenix copyright at the bottom of the video at all times when showing the FFXI footage (I assume... just like images :D).

Or just be kewl like Omecle and pwn things with fraps anyway :3

Roogle
02-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Third party programs will not fall under the jurisdiction of Square Enix unless it manipulates or interferes with the operation of Final Fantasy XI. FRAPS and other screen capturing programs are fine.