PDA

View Full Version : Sound channel mixing

Mirage
02-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi guise.

I want to slightly mix the left and right sound channels on my PC, because in the case that something's only played in one of the channels, it sounds really awful when using headphones, because it's impossible to make that happen in real life. No matter where the sound comes from in real life, both ears will detect it, and the sound delay for the ear on the other side will help determine its position.

I'm looking for a program, or a driver, or a whatever that can do this effect with all the audio on my PC in real time. But I've got no idea what to look for.

crono_logical
02-25-2008, 10:02 AM
I think some creative labs drivers for their soundcards let you do funky stuff like that, if you have such a nice soundcard. For me though, if I come across such media, I just use Media Player Classic, since it's built-in audio filter lets you do channel-mapping on the fly, so you could just map the single left/right channel over both speakers temporarily :p Unless anything's changed in later versions though, you can only remap whole channels, not mix like 50% left to right or something :p

Mirage
02-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Well, i wish i had a fancy soundcard, cause then it would be easy to solve it, but I don't.

I can't rely on things like MPC either, cause this is most often a problem in games. I need something that intercepts all audio on some deeper level. Like a virtual sound driver or something. And whole channels is ew. I don't want monophonic audio. Btw, mapping each channel to 50% would be just the same as mono too :p.