PDA

View Full Version : The 80th Academy Awards.

Breine
02-25-2008, 11:19 AM
So yeah, I had to stay up all night to see the Oscars because of the time difference and all, but as usual it was worth it (that is, if you're a fan of movies.. as I am). Here's (http://www.imdb.com/features/rto/2008/oscars) a list of the winners if you for some reason missed the actual show.

So, what are your opinions?

JKTrix
02-25-2008, 01:06 PM
This part sticks out for me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5YuXOXCnMo)

I didn't see most of the show, partly because I hadn't seen most of the nominees. Was glad I caught that part though.

Loony BoB
02-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Didn't see 'em. Looking at the results, it's all rather predictable for me this time around.

charliepanayi
02-25-2008, 08:04 PM
The Coen brothers really deserve that, as does No Country for Old Men. 'Oscars get it right' shock! If you had told me ten years, five years, or even just one year ago that the Coens would be getting a directing Oscar one day, I'd have had carted you away!

Daniel Day-Lewis and Javier Bardem's awards are both very well deserved. I have not seen Marion Cotillard's performance but I have heard it was very good. I suspect the Oscar people though giving three Brits acting awards would just be too much and our press would have never shut up about it XD

Miriel
02-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Marion Cotillard winning the Best Actress Oscar was one of the highlights of the night. She was so thrilled and so deserving. And Cate Blanchett's reaction to when Marion won was brilliant. She looked ecstatic and really happy for her. What a classy lady!

I like Jon Stewart but I don't really think he's that great of an Oscar host. Made me laugh a couple times but... eh, he doesn't really seem to MATCH that well with the show. Ellen or Conan was far better I think.

I really loved all the recaps they did on past movies, winners and acceptance speeches. It made me feel super nostalgic. I'm sure that they only did the recaps cause they were afraid the writer's strike would still be on, but I appreciated them. Seeing movies like The Godfather and acceptance speeches by Charlie Chaplin was really amazing. Just makes you think about the incredible history of this industry and how far it's come.

I Took the Red Pill
02-25-2008, 10:59 PM
I wanted There Will Be Blood to win Best Picture, but I was completely expecting No Country to take it. I'll settle for Day-Lewis taking Best Actor though.

MKusanagi
02-26-2008, 12:08 AM
I lost interest when they didn't nominate A Mighty Heart. Hollywood is nothing but superficial freaks.

LunarWeaver
02-26-2008, 12:15 AM
I watched about half of it. I'm glad Juno got nominated for quite a few and won one :jess:

I figured No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood and the people behind them would sweep it, and voila. I really need to see those two movies!

Namelessfengir
02-26-2008, 12:21 AM
all award show suck

you did your work you got your money nothing else about you matters

Dreddz
02-26-2008, 08:03 AM
There will be Blood should of won best picture. Or Sweeny Todd if it was up for that award. But I dont mind really, the Oscars havent meant anything in years.

NeoCracker
02-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Sweeny Todd so deserved Best Picture.

Miriel
02-26-2008, 08:51 AM
It's always so funny to me when people make comments about the Awards meaning nothing and how somehow, if someone is snubbed or overlooked, it invalidates the whole deal.

The Oscars are a popularity contest. Which means that some people are gonna be overlooked, but it's silly to think that there can ever be an accurate assessment of what is the "best" of any art form. It's so subjective. Whatever the case, it doesn't change the fact that EVERY SINGLE YEAR, the Oscars showcases some of the best work that the film industry has to offer. If it weren't for "Oscar buzz" a lot of non-blockbuster films like There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, and Atonement wouldn't find much of an audience. It's an integral part of the Industry, and if you're not part of the Industry, you probably don't give a crap. But as a fan of films in general, I appreciate these sorts of Award ceremonies where films that have enriched my own life are celebrated.

Breine
02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
It's always so funny to me when people make comments about the Awards meaning nothing and how somehow, if someone is snubbed or overlooked, it invalidates the whole deal.

The Oscars are a popularity contest. Which means that some people are gonna be overlooked, but it's silly to think that there can ever be an accurate assessment of what is the "best" of any art form. It's so subjective. Whatever the case, it doesn't change the fact that EVERY SINGLE YEAR, the Oscars showcases some of the best work that the film industry has to offer. If it weren't for "Oscar buzz" a lot of non-blockbuster films like There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, and Atonement wouldn't find much of an audience. It's an integral part of the Industry, and if you're not part of the Industry, you probably don't give a crap. But as a fan of films in general, I appreciate these sorts of Award ceremonies where films that have enriched my own life are celebrated.

So true, so true. Plus, it's just a great show to watch if you're a movie fan.

I agree that Marion Cotillard winning for Best Actress was a great moment, especially because I didn't think she would win. I really liked her speech, and she seemed genuinely happy.

I also thought Jon Stewart was funny. I especially liked it when he asked: "So have you figured out which democrat you're gonna vote for?", and such other political remarks. The Wii Tennis moment was also funny. On a whole Ellen was better, though.. I love my Ellen.

..and also, I think the recaps were meant to be there the entire time - it was kinda an anniversary show, and seeing all the past winners for the actor awards and Best Picture award was very neat.

charliepanayi
02-26-2008, 08:11 PM
It's fun anyway noting all the terrible mistakes the Oscars have made over the years, and arguing about them. They're a mile away from perfect, but they're at least usually interesting.