PDA

View Full Version : PS2 – used or new?

Rantz
02-25-2008, 05:33 PM
I've always been a bit behind in the gaming world. Me and my brother bought a NES when the SNES was in fashion and a Playstation around the time when PS2 started to get widespread. Now the seventh generation consoles are starting to feel comfortable in homes around the world, I just got paid and I'm thinking about buying a PlayStation 2.

The thing that's nice about being late is that you can get as much gaming for half the price or less, you just have to wait a few years. :) Now, the choice is between a used console or a new, and what I need to know is how robust and reliable PS2 is. Does the quality diminish quickly, and what differences are there between different versions of the console?

What it boils down to is, is there any point in buying a used console, or will I just start getting problems within a month? What is your general experience on this?

The console has been bought. Thanks for the advice! New question is as follows:

About [modchips and similar]. I've seen many different solutions, but I don't find much info about the variations. Is there any particular solution that:

works best?
is easiest to install?
is cheapest?
is all of the above?

LunarWeaver
02-25-2008, 05:37 PM
360 or gtfo

I can tell you I went through two Ps2s pretty fast, but I played them a lot. They're pretty :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty consoles and break when you sneeze on them, but other times that's not true. My brother, for instance, has had his since the day they came out and it still works, all while treating it badly. It seems kind of random to me. I think the slim ones were supposed to be more durable and 44% more sexually attractive.

You could probly buy a used one and get away with it as long as it's still in decently good shape. But new ones are only like, what, 130 these days? The next batch of systems won't be coming for a while yet, so you might want to get a new one if you'll have it for a good amount of time. You don't want to buy it and then get the dreaded "click-click-click Can't read disc" situation.

Rantz
02-25-2008, 06:00 PM
The ideal situation would of course be to get a used one still in good condition and some games along with it, and still get away with a price less than that of a new console. I'm a cheap bastard like that. But yeah, my main concern is a long lifetime, and if that means I have to get a new one, I guess that's what I'll do.

Namelessfengir
02-25-2008, 06:26 PM
mine was a first gen ps2 i got off my friend for 30 bucks. it sucked on dvds but i knew that when i got it. that lasted two years till i got tangled in the wires and took it down the disc tray disconnected

it was old enough that i just went and got a slim (thats started to twitch on dvds though)

Vivisteiner
02-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Ive had my PS2 for many years now, and it gave me nary a worry at all.

Nifleheim7
02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
I would suggest you go for a new and slim one.

Germ Hamee
02-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Get one of the new slim ones. If you buy a used one and after a week start getting Disc Read Errors, you'll be sorry. I've gone through two PS2s because of this, and the slim model really isn't THAT expensive. The only decent reason I can think of to get a used PS2 is if you plan on playing a game that requires the hard drive add on. Assuming you can find the hard drive extension, the old fat models are the only ones that support it.

Rantz
02-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll get a new one, if I do buy one at all. It's either that or new shoes!

But I can't play Final Fantasy games on a pair of shoes, can I? Unless it's really good shoes.

Shiny
02-25-2008, 08:00 PM
My brother bought a used one and it ended up breaking the following month. I bought a new one years ago and it's still playable.

Ashi
02-27-2008, 06:15 AM
My first PS2s are no longer functional (one was bought on the same week of the european release date). I reverted to the slim ones a few years ago and they've been great ever since. My pet peeve with the original version is that the discs always made a lot of noise while the game loaded. I recognized this but when my mother used to play her Silent Hill games she associated the sound with the "scary moments".

You could probably do well with a used slim, but you never know. The price of a new ps2 where I am has dropped drastically in the past year.

Montoya
02-27-2008, 06:56 AM
I've gone through two PS2 and the current one I have doesn't play PS1 games so I think I'll go for another one.
Get a new one, it's a system worth getting.

Namelessfengir
02-27-2008, 07:24 AM
get a silver one

XxSephirothxX
02-27-2008, 09:07 AM
I'd go new. They're cheap now, anyway. Also, make up for the bit extra you pay for a new console by purchasing a swap magic disc or a modchip. To, you know, "back up" all "your" games.

Rantz
02-27-2008, 01:37 PM
About that. I've seen many different solutions, but I don't find much info about the variations. Is there any particular solution that:

works best?
is easiest to install?
is cheapest?
is all of the above?

Also, the console (new, slim, black) is ordered, along with some games. Now I have to eat soup throughout March. Thanks, EoFF! :monster:

Ashi
02-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Haha. Congrads. You made the right decision.

Also, I live on instant noodles for a similar reason. :)

Jess
02-27-2008, 03:54 PM
I have had my PS2 for years and have never had any problems with it, but with buying a used one you don't know who previously owned it and whether they looked after it or not so it looks like you made the right choice. :jess:

escobert
02-27-2008, 04:31 PM
My first gen PS2 still works or last I knew it did.

Heath
02-27-2008, 06:13 PM
I've had some trouble with 'disc read errors' off my PS2 but I got one of the first lot that arrived in Britain and didn't have any trouble with it until about the third or fourth year of owning it. Buying new, like you have done, was probably the best bet. Enjoy your PS2!

Nifleheim7
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Congrats for your new system!
I hope you like soup.:D

Breine
02-28-2008, 03:41 PM
I've had my PS2 for 6 years now and there's never been anything wrong with it. But, if I were you I'd still buy a new one.. because, well, they're cheap these days and the fan inside it isn't as noisy in the newer versions. Plus, it's slim.. :)

Jessweeee♪
02-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Well, my brother got his four years ago, and it's only now starting to act a little funny :p

The controllers need to be replaced, the analog sticks in one direction too much, also the R2 button sticks. The disc tray makes a funny noise before it ejects...but that's the only problem for now.

I can't remember if it was new or used, but it's pretty durable, if you consider all it's gone through these past four years xD

Ashi
03-02-2008, 08:52 AM
While we're on the subject of controllers. I've only ever had to replace a controller once, and that was for the PSX because, well, there was an accident that we won't get into right now :). However, my own PS2 controllers seem to survive a lot more than my siblings' so they end up borrowing some of my extras a lot. Kind of puzzling.

Mirage
03-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Just get a new PS2 dude, they cost like nothing anyway, you'll be looking at a $50 difference between an old and a new or something.

Rantz
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! I updated the first post with the new question.

Aerith's Knight
03-03-2008, 04:37 PM
new.. the things cost nothing anymore anyway.

sry i havent modded this yet.

if you need help in modding xbox/nds get back to me.