PDA

View Full Version : Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

SuperMillionaire
02-25-2008, 09:40 PM
In 2008/2009, Capcom will debut a NEW LIVE ACTION Street Fighter movie that will focus on the character of Chun-Li. It will be called Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li and will star Kristin Kreuk as the title character.

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (2009) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0891592/)

KentaRawr!
02-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I would have much preferred something on Oro.

Oh well.

Ouch!
02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Somehow I will have a very hard time reconciling Lana Lang with Chun-Li.

SuperMillionaire
02-25-2008, 10:01 PM

What do you mean by that?

Roogle
02-25-2008, 10:18 PM

Kristin Kreuk is only partially of Chinese descent. Ouch! is saying that it will be difficult for her to play an ethnic character like Chun-Li because the actress has an authenaticated, American look to her after playing Lana Lang on Smallville for a number of years.

Ouch!
02-25-2008, 11:47 PM

Kristin Kreuk is only partially of Chinese descent. Ouch! is saying that it will be difficult for her to play an ethnic character like Chun-Li because the actress has an authenaticated, American look to her after playing Lana Lang on Smallville for a number of years.
Pretty much.

Markus. D
02-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Ooooh~

But Chun-Li is ftw?

Ashley Schovitz
02-26-2008, 02:01 AM
All I got was a Can't display webpage page.

SnoopyG
02-26-2008, 03:29 AM
Kristin Kreuk better be working on those thighs if shes gonna be chun li

Dreddz
02-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Michael Clarke Duncan as Balrog?

A match made in heaven.

Necronopticous
02-26-2008, 08:57 AM
One can only wonder if she's going to be getting thigh implants.

http://www.JEREMYTIME/upload/chun_li_mk.gif

Creeping Shadow
02-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Didnt capcom learn after the first street fighter movie.

Big D
02-26-2008, 09:16 AM

Maybe it'll be like a fatsuit... only with muscle, rather than fat. And pants, rather than a suit.

Or they might try to suspend the suspension of disbelief by giving her a plausible physique...

NeoCracker
02-26-2008, 09:20 AM

Maybe it'll be like a fatsuit... only with muscle, rather than fat. And pants, rather than a suit.

Or they might try to suspend the suspension of disbelief by giving her a plausible physique...
And thats why it's doomed to fail. :p

Markus. D
02-26-2008, 09:29 AM
My guess is that it will be a revised Chun-Li design.

Raebus
02-26-2008, 09:35 AM
This sounds like a good movie already.

*Ignores criticisms*

Roogle
02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Is this movie already in development? The Internet Movie Database has credits for a majority of the main characters.

TyphoonThaReapa
02-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Oh boy. This won't end well...:rolleyes2

SuperMillionaire
02-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Is this movie already in development? The Internet Movie Database has credits for a majority of the main characters.

Well, it probably is in production already. Thailand will be a major filming location.

Creeping Shadow
02-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Oh boy. This won't end well...:rolleyes2

My thoughts exactly.

SuperMillionaire
02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
I just hope it will be better than the first movie.

Creeping Shadow
02-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I just hope it will be better than the first movie.

Maybe a little but I really doubt it. This whole thing kinda caught me off gaurd in the first place. I mean its wierd enough that they're doing another street fighter movie, but why are they making it about one character? The only people who will be able to relate to this movie are the fans.

Roogle
02-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I worry because, historically, movies based on video games tend to have a high rate of failure at the box office. I recall hearing about this movie in the works a long time ago, but you hear about all sorts of franchises possibly releasing a movie at some point, so you don't think much about it.

LunarWeaver
02-26-2008, 11:51 PM
I hope Vega attacks her and she throws a couch like she did in the Street Fighter II anime movie. I would love to see Kirstin do that :jess:

Creeping Shadow
02-27-2008, 03:40 AM
I hope Vega attacks her and she throws a couch like she did in the Street Fighter II anime movie. I would love to see Kirstin do that :jess:

Man that scene was cool, Hell that whole movie was cool.

SuperMillionaire
02-27-2008, 04:46 PM

Looks like Chun-Li really is the strongest woman in the world...

KentaRawr!
02-27-2008, 05:31 PM
^It was an inflatable couch I bet.

Ishin Ookami
02-28-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm predicting thigh master jokes throughout the film as well as a live action rendition of the animated flicks shower scene.

SuperMillionaire
02-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm predicting thigh master jokes throughout the film as well as a live action rendition of the animated flicks shower scene.

I don't see the need for the shower scene. Sorry.

JKTrix
02-28-2008, 01:28 PM

Did you ever watch the Street Fighter 2 animated movie? I'd actually be disappointed if there wasn't any kind of shower scene. Not because there's a 'need' or any desire for lustful fanservice, but more for an homage to the old film. I doubt Kreuk will be up for that though. It would probably be funnier if, when the shower scene arrives, they play it up all suspensefully only to find out that it's Guile or something. An homage to the old film and a poke at the fans at the same time.

And looks like someone already used my thigh implants joke (http://jktrix.wordpress.com/2007/01/04/chun-li-movie-confirmed-capcom-wants-more-movies/). Though I think this movie is supposed to be a sort of 'backstory' of Chun-Li, so maybe they'd explain her lack of monster thighs by saying 'it hasn't happened yet'.

Avarice-ness
02-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Couldn't they have got someone who like..

Wasn't meek and scrawny? I mean when I think of a real life Chun-Li I think of a pretty buff, tall, purely asian chick.

I also thought that Kristin (sp) was like a fourth or an 8th asian, I would have been happier with someone who looked more authentic.

Then again if Cammy's in the movie and she works out well then that's all I care about!

SuperMillionaire
02-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Did you ever watch the Street Fighter 2 animated movie? I'd actually be disappointed if there wasn't any kind of shower scene. Not because there's a 'need' or any desire for lustful fanservice, but more for an homage to the old film. I doubt Kreuk will be up for that though. It would probably be funnier if, when the shower scene arrives, they play it up all suspensefully only to find out that it's Guile or something. An homage to the old film and a poke at the fans at the same time.

And looks like someone already used my thigh implants joke (http://jktrix.wordpress.com/2007/01/04/chun-li-movie-confirmed-capcom-wants-more-movies/). Though I think this movie is supposed to be a sort of 'backstory' of Chun-Li, so maybe they'd explain her lack of monster thighs by saying 'it hasn't happened yet'.

If you're gonna give fanservice, put Chun-Li in a swimsuit, but PLEASE don't show her naked!

Roto13
02-28-2008, 06:55 PM
I think Joel might cry if she doesn't have a nude scene.

JKTrix
02-28-2008, 07:54 PM
If you're gonna give fanservice, put Chun-Li in a swimsuit, but PLEASE don't show her naked!

By now I think I already know the answer...but I'll ask again.

Have you seen Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie? I can't quite fathom why you're so against it. For one, it's already happened. Also, the chances of there being any similar nudity in the western-produced live film is almost nonexistant, so you're worrying about something that will most likely not happen. Have you ever seen a shower scene in a tv show? They hardly show anything--usually just a pair of legs and a bare back with some steam.

I'm drawing way too much attention to this, as it didn't even last that long in the first movie. It's a different kind of 'fanservice' it would bring to the live movie. Less of the 'omg boobz' type, more of the 'hey they just drew reference to the other movie' type. I'm not trying to say the movie needs nudity, because I don't want that either. Just trying to make sense of why you're adamantly against the shower issue.

Necronopticous
02-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm all for seeing Kristin Laura Kreuk as naked as they can possibly convince her to be.

Ouch!
02-28-2008, 09:19 PM
They should play "Kickin' It Like Chun-Li" somewhere in the movie.

Peegee
02-28-2008, 09:29 PM
There was a thread today at another forum of 'what is the best video game movie'

I said Silent Hill

It looks like even with Chun Li as the title character my opinion will not change.

It might've worked if they casted somebody who was actually Chinese. It also doesn't help that I don't like looking at KK

Ishin Ookami
02-28-2008, 11:12 PM

I didn't say there was a need for it, I'm just predicting that there is going to be one. They had a shower scene with Lara along with partial nudity (from the side) and I passed on RE 2 and 3 but in the first RE, we more or less got the full monty from the fifth element chick (for some reason I forgot her name). Even Aki Ross donned a barely there bikini to advertise Spirits Within, and Tifa, while not being in any way naked, definitely seemed to have a larger rack in Advent Children than in the game, which is saying quite a bit.

Basically, the bottom line seems to be that if you wanna pull the fanboys into a video game flick, show some breasts.

As for the Lana Lang.... eeeeeech. poor casting choice. Ming Na Wen made a better Chun Li. Can we just call a do over and fire the casting guy that made that call?

SuperMillionaire
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Let's get off the sexy stuff, okay? Back to the action.

Roogle
02-29-2008, 06:23 PM
They should play "Kickin' It Like Chun-Li" somewhere in the movie.

Man, I'm just kickin' it like Chun-Li (http://youtube.com/watch?v=EjLrxRz1sVI).

Breine
02-29-2008, 08:35 PM

Haha xD Man, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Anyway, Chun-Li is interesting in the way that she was one of the first video game female characters out there to gain popularity, but an entire movie based just on her? ..I'm not sure about this.

Araciel
03-01-2008, 12:12 AM

Yeah it would most likely be CG if at all, since she looks barely able to pick up a hamburger. Also she's as Asian as I look.

SuperMillionaire
03-01-2008, 05:00 PM

Haha xD Man, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Anyway, Chun-Li is interesting in the way that she was one of the first video game female characters out there to gain popularity, but an entire movie based just on her? ..I'm not sure about this.

The last movie was based on Guile. And although it wasn't that successful, it did spawn a spinoff animated series based jointly on the movie and the games.

Seraphic
03-01-2008, 05:32 PM
I think shes popular enough to be in a movie all by herself.
Shes not one of the first, she is THE first female fighter EVER.
Also, I think Kristin Kreuk is a good choice for a western street fighter movie.
I dont know about you,but when you look at Chun-li in the games,at least the recent ones, she doesn't look TOO Chinese.
Maybe that might be because of the anime design type thing, but I think a half asian, or at least partly asian woman is a good thing.
But what are you gonna do, even if you are asian but not the right nationality, people will still hate you.

KentaRawr!
03-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Hold on now, she's not the first female fighter. There were more than a few games before then that had female characters fighting. Samus used a gun. :)

SuperMillionaire
03-01-2008, 07:03 PM
She was the first to gain popularity.

LunarWeaver
03-01-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant the first female in an actual fighting game within the fighting genre xP

SuperMillionaire
03-02-2008, 03:31 AM
Yes. Because of her popularity, in many hero vs villain stories, sometimes, the protagonist is a female.

Seraphic
03-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Yeah theres been villainous females,but thats not what I'm talking about.
As for as females in a 1 on 1 fighting game, as in theres a life bar and you press the punch and kick button to win, Chun-li is the first.
And from what they say of the script,it seems like it could be cool,like a Kill-Billesque revenge movie,but probably not as cool.
I'll still watch it because of my love for the character, but I wouldn't expect or anything or take it seriously.
Always with a grain of salt people :kaoyatta:

Roto13
03-02-2008, 04:52 AM
Her thighs aren't big enough.

Markus. D
03-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Couldn't they have got someone who like..

Wasn't meek and scrawny? I mean when I think of a real life Chun-Li I think of a pretty buff, tall, purely asian chick.

I also thought that Kristin (sp) was like a fourth or an 8th asian, I would have been happier with someone who looked more authentic.

Then again if Cammy's in the movie and she works out well then that's all I care about!

Actors for action movies these days go through an extremely heavy training regime (sometimes spanning on for 6 months or more! Did you see the aftermath of the Supporting Actors in Blade Trinity? eh? That scrawny guy was ripped to ZOMG! and so was Jessica~).

Hopefully this will be the case... where she'll get massive Thigh Muscles.

Seraphic
03-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Plus, if a real woman had her kind of muscles...because Chun-li is pretty much built all the way around from her arms to her legs, I don't think the woman playing her would be very appealing.

SuperMillionaire
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Not a female bodybuilder... She needs some muscle, but she shouldn't look like a bodybuilder. Maybe a personal trainer...