PDA

View Full Version : Gamestop holding a Smash Bros. Brawl tournament. The prize is $5000 and other crap!

KentaRawr!
02-26-2008, 02:55 AM
Before this post begins allow me to apologize for breaking the seemingly infinite tradition of having all Smash Bros. Brawl discussions take place in the count-down thread. However, something of this magnitude does seem to be deserving of its own thread to me, and considering that thread is mostly for the discussion of the Daily Updates, as well as counting down to the game, I believe this thread breaks no rules.

Now then, on to the topic at hand! Gamestop is holding a tournament for Smash Bros. Brawl in various stores across the U.S., (Including Alaska) with a prize of $5000, a Plasma T.V., a Wii Console, and a bunch of games. (http://www.gamestop.com/gs/ssbb/tournament/default.asp) All the details are in the previous sentence. Click on it and magic links you to the page. But, one thing to note is that everyone 13 years and older are allowed to enter, so my previous thoughts of not winning $5000 are diminished, and so slim at the same time. :3 If you're totally lazy and don't want to navigate their flashy page (not in techy terms) here are their rules, (http://www.gamestop.com/gs/ssbb/tournament/ssbbtourney_rules.asp) and here's the Gamestops participating in the first round. (http://www.gamestop.com/gs/ssbb/tournament/SSB-Brawl-Tourney-Stores.pdf)

Sooooo, yeah.

Discussion starts now. :monster:

XxSephirothxX
02-26-2008, 03:00 AM
Cool, one of those is my local Gamestop. That might be a fun way to kick off Spring Break.

edczxcvbnm
02-26-2008, 03:03 AM
hmmmmm....maybe I will go to get my ass kicked XD

ljkkjlcm9
02-26-2008, 03:44 AM
I could probably win the local one lol
but as it turns out, I have a very important female in my life visiting through til the 10th of March, so I'll be too busy with her. She is far more important than ANY video game, even smash bros.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
02-26-2008, 04:15 AM
Then he wouldn't have an excuse when he loses, though. :P

ljkkjlcm9
02-26-2008, 04:49 AM
Then he wouldn't have an excuse when he loses, though. :P

I don't lose, but I've always been more of a non-competitive gamer. I mean don't get me wrong, the games I'm good at, there has been no challenger in my school who has beat me! And that's quite a large number of people! But of course, I just like to play among friends, for fun, though they hardly seem to have fun when they always lose lol.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
02-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Hmmkay.

Evastio
02-26-2008, 11:29 PM
It sucks that I won't be able to participate in this. I guess all I can hope for is that the winner won't be using a 3rd Party Character. Even if it's Toon Link, Sheik, Link, or Fox that wins I'll find it much better than Sonic or Snake winning. Then again, with Sonic's high vulnerability to Shield Grabs and his lack of extremely powerful finishing moves and Snake's unique fighting style compared to other characters (like relying mainly on his explosives for his smashes and not melee attacks which will make him hard to master) it'll probably be somewhat unlikely that those two will win the tournament.

but as it turns out, I have a very important female in my life visiting through til the 10th of March, so I'll be too busy with her. She is far more important than ANY video game, even smash bros.
Taking your girlfriend with you doesn't sound like that bad of an idea unless she's really that against it. I mean if girlfriends ask you to go shopping with them for clothes every now and then, I don't see why they wouldn't be okay with going to this, especially considering it's a one time thing. Also, good luck with her.

ljkkjlcm9
02-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Taking your girlfriend with you doesn't sound like that bad of an idea unless she's really that against it. I mean if girlfriends ask you to go shopping with them for clothes every now and then, I don't see why they wouldn't be okay with going to this, especially considering it's a one time thing. Also, good luck with her.
Thing is, she's only here for a week, I don't know when I'll see her again. A smash bros tournament would be a great waste of time I could better spend on her. Plus, she is not into games, much at all, mostly cause she stinks at them.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
02-26-2008, 11:43 PM
It sucks that I won't be able to participate in this. I guess all I can hope for is that the winner won't be using a 3rd Party Character.

If you don't stop complaining about 3rd party characters in Smash Bros. I'm going to eat you.

ljkkjlcm9
02-26-2008, 11:52 PM
It sucks that I won't be able to participate in this. I guess all I can hope for is that the winner won't be using a 3rd Party Character.

If you don't stop complaining about 3rd party characters in Smash Bros. I'm going to eat you.

yeah, what he said

THE JACKEL

Evastio
02-27-2008, 12:05 AM
To me having Snake or Sonic win this tournament would be like you guys finding out that Darth Vader or Yoda won a US wide Soul Calibur IV tournament. Besides, it's not like it's unreasonable to be disappointed about the Smash Bros. series not being Nintendo anymore like it was for the past two games.

But if it's really annoying you guys that much I guess I'll stop. That doesn't mean I'm going to be okay with them in Brawl though.

ljkkjlcm9
02-27-2008, 12:07 AM
To me having Snake or Sonic win this tournament would be like you guys finding out that Darth Vader or Yoda won a US wide Soul Calibur IV tournament. Besides, it's not like it's unreasonable to be disappointed about the Smash Bros. series not being Nintendo anymore like it was for the past two games.

But if it's really annoying you guys that much I guess I'll stop. That doesn't mean I'm going to be okay with them in Brawl though.

lol you don't have to be ok with it, you just have to accept it!
I think Darth Vader and Yoda in SCIV is weird, but they're in the game and I accept they are usable characters just like any other.

And it doesn't matter which character the person uses. They're either good, or they're not.

THE JACKEL

Evastio
02-27-2008, 12:17 AM
And it doesn't matter which character the person uses. They're either good, or they're not.
On that topic, I wonder if any MLG Melee players will be in that tournament. If there are then this will probably make it... interesting. I guess it'll still be fair seeing how Melee's and Brawl's control feel (I don't know what else to call it) are completely different even with the Game Cube Controller since it's slower and floatier. That's what I heard anyways.

ljkkjlcm9
02-27-2008, 12:18 AM
On that topic, I wonder if any MLG Melee players will be in that tournament. If there are then this will probably make it... interesting. I guess it'll still be fair seeing how Melee's and Brawl's control feel (I don't know what else to call it) are completely different even with the Game Cube Controller since it's slower and floatier. That's what I heard anyways.

the one thing that might bother me, is that it's a release tournament with the new game. But I know some people probably have imports of it, or modded Wii's to play the japanese version. They'll have an advantage over the other players.

THE JACKEL

KentaRawr!
02-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah. My participation is really just to have a great first time playing the game, but with a shot at a prize in the first round. I don't exactly expect myself to win the whole $5000, but that would be great.

NeoCracker
02-27-2008, 12:27 AM
My location is actually doing it. :P

I'm so going for the Prize, and Metaknight shall be my champion.

Roto13
02-27-2008, 02:20 AM
If you're going for the prize, maybe you should play as someone you've played as before. :P

Momiji
02-27-2008, 02:22 AM
There's one nearby that's in this event. I might go. I don't have the game on reserve though, so I probably won't get it for a while (I don't have any money anyway), so I'd like to at least play it once.

Monol
02-27-2008, 02:37 AM
My buddys and I are going to a midnight tourney before the game comes out. Were wicked at melee so we have TINY advantage but i think it should be oddles of fun either way. Wish us luck yo'z! :D

NeoCracker
02-27-2008, 03:04 AM
If you're going for the prize, maybe you should play as someone you've played as before. :P

1) That would make sense
2) I'm so out of practice I hardly think it will matter. :P
3) I'm basically hoping all the good players either a) don't know of said tournament, or b) can't make it.

Masamunemaster
02-28-2008, 10:49 AM
oh yeah knox TN is where Im going...and I will destroy all with ZELDA....MWAHAHAHA

Ultima Shadow
02-28-2008, 02:50 PM
It sucks that I won't be able to participate in this.Seconded. >_<

*starts crying like that kid in the video in that Halo thread*

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!?!?!?

To me having Snake or Sonic win this tournament would be like you guys finding out that Darth Vader or Yoda won a US wide Soul Calibur IV tournament. Besides, it's not like it's unreasonable to be disappointed about the Smash Bros. series not being Nintendo anymore like it was for the past two games.Don't worry. I'm sure Marth, Fox or possibly R.O.B or Ike will end up on top. From what I've seen, those characters seems to have been performing the best so far. R.O.B really is underrated, and without a doubt a potential top-tier character. And Ike seems waaay better than I thought he would be at first.:greenie:

THE JACKAL
Girlfriends? More important than Brawl? You're INSANE! =O

Lionx
02-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Heaven or Hell...LETS ROCK~! Hope i dont get eliminated on Round 1, i dont know how good NorCal Smash community is (only seen one good guy so far).

KentaRawr!
03-06-2008, 10:42 PM
2 days left, guys! :D Remember, you've got to sign up on Saturday, March 8th, at least 30 minutes before the tournament starts. You'll have to call your gamestop to see when their tournament starts. If you're a minor, such as myself, you've got to bring a parent to sign you up.

Also, here's the full prize list.

PRIZES & APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES (“ARV”):

One (1) Grand Prize consisting of: one (1) Vizio 37” LCD TV (ARV: $900.00), entire First Party Nintendo Wii Software Library (ARV: $700.00), one Nintendo Wii Console (ARV: $250.00), selected Nintendo Wii Accessories as determined by Sponsor (ARV: $150.00), $5,000 Cash (ARV: $5,000) and the Grand Prize Trophy (ARV: $500.00). Total ARV of Grand Prize is $7,500.00.

One (1) Second Prize: A $1,000.00 GameStop Gift Card (ARV: $1,000.00).

Eight (8)Semifinalists Prizes: One (1) Trophy (ARV $35.00 each) plus a 2day/2)night trip for Regional winner only (unless Regional winner is a minor in which case a parent or legal guardian will need to accompany traveling minor) to San Jose, California to participate in Round 4 (“Event”), ARV: $1,600.00 each. Actual ARV of each Semifinalists prize may vary based on location of Regional winner’s residence and fares at time of departure. If actual value of Semifinalist prize turns out to be less than the stated ARV, then the difference will not be awarded.

ARV of all prizes to be awarded: $21,300.00.

Monol
03-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Lets do it! (Hope to win the first round at least)

Yoshi for brawl :p

Ultima Shadow
03-07-2008, 09:26 AM
I HATE YOU ALL! :(

KentaRawr!
03-07-2008, 03:38 PM
:)

Roogle
03-07-2008, 06:09 PM
I wish that I was skilled enough in the Super Smash Bros. series to progress far enough in the tournament to win a prize. If this was an older Street Fighter game, I would be all over this like white on rice because I really like contests and tournaments, but I tend to be a few years late when it comes to learning the game. This tournament should be fairly difficult for everyone, though, considering that the game is only being released now. No one will have a chance to practice, so it should technically be even, but I think that skills with the previous Super Smash Bros. games and playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl by import will play a heavy role in deciding the winner.

KentaRawr!
03-07-2008, 07:05 PM
A lot of old veterans are actually having some trouble now. Sure, Melee and 64 skills will apply in some aspects, but the mechanics (according to those who imported) feel very different, and as everyone knows, a lot of Advanced Techniques that gave an advantage in quick-attacking are out, so everyone's at least got the same arsenal at this point in terms of techniques, and that's what the Dojo showed us. This will be a contest on who can learn the most, and who has the quickest reflexes. But, of course, playing Melee and 64 will help you recognize specific situations, and how to take advantage of them, so vets have that edge.

Edit: It snowed hard so unexpectedly. My Gamestop was closed for today due to the snow. There was a sign on the door saying they'd open at 9:00 AM tomorrow as compensation, and then, they'd continue with the regular Brawl Launch. I just hope it includes the tourney.