PDA

View Full Version : How important are sports to you?

White Raven
02-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Today, in the NHL world is known as Trade Deadline Day, and every sports broadcaster in Canada on this day goes crazy and they make a huge debacle.... and I can't get enough of it. I am even skipping class this morning to see who goes where and for what.

Does anyone else have a sport that does this to him/her?

:)

Loony BoB
02-26-2008, 12:56 PM
I wouldn't skip work/class for such a thing unless it was the rugby/cricket world cup and New Zealand was involved. I watch every Manchester United game, one way or another. I constantly read about sports while online at work and at home.

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but rather I enjoy the sport I can keep up with and do what I can to keep that happiness going. However, in life in general, I wouldn't say sport is the biggest priority.

Madame Adequate
02-26-2008, 02:00 PM
I care about sports just enough to check the Superbowl results, and that's it. They bore me utterly.

snacks
02-26-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't think I'd miss major important events going on in my life for them, however since moving to Pittsburgh I've involved myself in a sort of "Steelers fever" mania that runs like wildfire through this town. I'm sure it's like this in any town, but I find myself going crazy over games.

some of the boys aren't that bad to look at either.

Namelessfengir
02-26-2008, 05:44 PM
i watch the super bowl the world series and the Olympics other than that the only thing that interests me about sports is the cheerleaders

escobert
02-26-2008, 05:53 PM
I like to follow the Chicago Bears in the NFL. Other than that I don't care much for sports.

Kirobaito
02-26-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm horribly obsessed with sports, and a terrible homer. But I acknowledge it.

I do it with basically three of the four major sports here (baseball, football, basketball). If the Rangers are playing an afternoon game, I'm content skipping class to watch it. Even hockey, while I'm not obsessed with it, I watch every game I can (and that's about half of the Stars games). In April, about every night of the week is taken up by either basketball, baseball, or hockey.

EDIT: Stars scored Brad Richards. I'll take it! Though it sucks to give up Mike Smith... Tobias Stephan better be good.

Balzac
02-26-2008, 06:38 PM
They're not.

Cz
02-26-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm a big fan of the English Premier League, and go insane during the summer break when there's nothing to get excited about. I follow other sports casually, like Formula One motor racing and the NFL, and then there are other sports that I don't actively follow but that I'll watch if they're on TV, like snooker or athletics.

I don't think I've ever skipped a class for a sporting event, but that's because football matches are neatly scheduled so as not to clash with those sorts of things. And the country gets so obsessed with football during the World Cup that our school gave us the morning off to watch the England - Brazil game in 2002. :greenie:

Vermachtnis
02-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Tennis I guess. I don't go out of my way to watch it, but if I'm skipping through the channels and stop on Tennis I have to watch. The little yellow balls, the little nets, the little skirts.

charliepanayi
02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I do try and watch as much as I can of the footballing World Cup and European Championships, and always try to keep up with the Premier League and European Cup, whatever else is going on. Other sports I'll follow but I won't disrupt my life for them. Only for football. You can tell how much I like football from how often I make a jackass out of myself on the Premiership thread on this forum!

Momiji
02-27-2008, 12:09 AM
I care about sports just enough to check the Superbowl results, and that's it. They bore me utterly.

I'm the same way, only a step further: I don't care who wins the Super Bowl.

I don't like sports at all.

Jessweeee♪
02-27-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm not a sports fan :p

I definitely do not like to play them! I used to do that....I don't know what possessed me x.x

Evastio
02-27-2008, 02:33 AM
I don't follow sports and which team's winning and stuff at all. No offense guys, but I don't really get what's with your obsession over them.

Tavrobel
02-27-2008, 02:42 AM
Enough to punch out a fellow classmate who was making fun of the Eagles. Not enough to make me miss a day of school.

Madame Adequate
02-27-2008, 02:46 AM

I'm the same way, only a step further: I don't care who wins the Super Bowl.

I don't like sports at all.

Oh, I don't check them because I care, I check them because shoving 18-1 in a Pats fan's face is fucking funny.

Jess
02-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I believe I missed school a few times during the 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cup. I'd probably take days off work in 2010 for the World Cup. I love the premier league, too; I'd only take time off from something if I was travelling to Newcastle to watch the game in person at St James. :jess:

Old Manus
02-27-2008, 05:57 PM
I am the authority on Coca Cola League 1.

Breine
02-27-2008, 06:13 PM
It really depends on what sport it is, and what kind of tournament/championship it is. I think the most extreme thing I've done is to stay up late to watch a live Tennis match at 3:00 AM, but that's about it.

o_O
02-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I've been known to be out of bed in the small hours of the morning to watch various football world cup matches. Once I called in sick for a day of work so I could watch Kashif Shuja play Leilani Rorani in a squash tournament at my club. :p

Aside from that, I don't really care about watching sports enough to let it impact other things in my life. I let playing sports do that. :p

El Bandito
02-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Sports are my favorite topic of conversation and I'll be first to admit I probably pay more attention to ESPN than I do to other news such as politics.

tomothy
02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
AFL am the only sport that mine care about, sept care super much about it.

Avarice-ness
02-28-2008, 01:07 PM
I used to keep up with football, but now I only really care about it when a team I like is actually doing well. I've been to a few cowboys games and a few UT games, even though I'm an aggie. xD I can't deny a good football game and UT always brings it.

Other than that, I have a secret love for NASCAR, but that's mainly due to the fact that my dad really liked it and we used to go to chilli's or this bar by the lake and eat buffalo wings and drink margarita's while watching cars zoom at crazy speeds on one of the many Tv screens around us. Those were the good days.

I do like baseball though, but for some reason ONLY when I'm at the stadium. I went to like 4 Brewers games which where awesome ('cept one 'cause I was severely hung over) and I'd prolly attend more if my time in Wisconsin is extended for some reason.

My mom is obsessed with basketball though, but I've never been to a Spurs game only 'cause she'd get two tickets and her and her bf would go. I don't really mind though, Basketballs not really my sport at all.

So between those.

Football, then Nascar, then Baseball, then Basketball.

Yar
02-28-2008, 08:57 PM
NHL Hockey. The one and only sport I care about. I tend to plan my days around upcoming games.

Dallas Stars officially went to the number one team I hate on Tuesday.