PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles.

Montoya
02-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm taking a class: History of American Pop and Rock Music in college (don't ask me why, couldn't answer it myself). But we're in the week where the topic is The Beatles. My question then is: How many of you are actually real fans of the music?

fire_of_avalon
02-26-2008, 04:17 PM
I for one don't really love them. There are a few songs I like, but overall the Beatles just don't do it for me. And I refuse to be ashamed of that.

Roto13
02-26-2008, 04:20 PM
*thrusts hand into the air*

I love the Beatles! Though I think a lot of the "greatest band ever" mentality comes from marketing, they're still way up there. :P

My whole family loves the Beatles, actually. It's in my blood. :P

Every Beatles fan needs to see Across the Universe, imo.

XxSephirothxX
02-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I didn't think Across the Universe was very good.

And I'd consider The Beatles the greatest band of all time for their incredible range and influence. Not to mention how damn good their songs are.

Sergeant Hartman
02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
I've got all their albums, Abbey Road is my favourite.

The Beatles are just great.

Old Manus
02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm taking a class: History of American Pop and Rock Music

The Beatles.lol wut?

Zeromus_X
02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
I don't think they're really the "greatest band ever", but their music is definitely very enjoyable, most of the time.

I didn't think Across the Universe was very good.

I didn't either. xD

Balzac
02-26-2008, 05:26 PM

The Beatles.lol wut?

^

Yamaneko
02-26-2008, 05:32 PM
They were and have been influential in regards to the evolution of pop music and the viability of studio bands in the industry, but I would never go as far as to cite them as the best Rock band ever; not even close. They had some catchy tunes, utilized the studio effectively and had a brilliant marketing team, but I would much rather listen to some Beach Boys or Yardbirds any day of the week.

PeneloRatsbane
02-26-2008, 05:59 PM

The Beatles.lol wut?

^

yup i was wondering about that

Montoya
02-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I know they're from England but it's still part of the course. :eep:

Tallulah
02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Why didn't we have any cool classes like that? :mad2:

Yeah, The Beatles were a very good band, and a lot of my favourite groups are heavily influenced by them e.g. Oasis

Roto13
02-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I like a few Oasis songs, but after a while it's like "Hey, we're the Beatles!" "No you are not!"

Yamaneko
02-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I can't stand that band.

Quindiana Jones
02-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I think The Beatles were amazing. They were influential to pretty much everything that came after.

However, I don't like that many of their songs. I admire them, true, but some of their songs sucked bad. Admittedly, a lot of them rocked too!

Cz
02-26-2008, 09:15 PM
The Beatles released a lot of fantastic music, and you'll find more classic songs on an album like Revolver than in most bands' entire discography. While they're not my personal favourite band, I've got no problem with those who claim that they're the greatest band ever, since by most standards of measurement they just are. They've sold more albums than anyone else, had more number one singles than anyone else, and had a huge impact, culturally and musically. That's about as close as you're ever going to get to definitively calling any group the "best ever".

charliepanayi
02-26-2008, 09:28 PM
They were one of the finest bands around in their day (one of the best songwriting partnerships there was, and George Harrison wasn't too shabby either. Ringo may be mocked a lot but he was still a good drummer), and their influence has been unquestionable, whatever you think of their music. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album and Abbey Road are all pretty essential in my opinion anyway. The 'Long Medley' on the second half of Abbey Road is testament enough to how good they were.

Necronopticous
02-26-2008, 09:39 PM
If I absolutely had to choose my favorite artist, it might very well be the Beatles.

rubah
02-26-2008, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't want to only listen to them for the rest of my life.

Big D
02-26-2008, 10:14 PM

The Beatles.lol wut?Indeed... I'd say it's because The Beatles totally reshaped American pop, and world pop in general, because of the sheer enormity of their influence. While they're not American, they're an integral part of American pop music history.

The Beatles' early work was great. Accessible, catchy, original. Great live concerts.
I don't really care for their later work, though. When the suits got replaced with flowery kaftans, and hallucinogens became the main creative influence, they stopped producing stuff I can really care about.

Breine
02-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I really like The Beatles and their influence on music throughout the years is undeniable, but I don't love them. There are many other artists/bands out there I'd rather listen to.

theundeadhero
02-28-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't like many of their lovey dovey songs, but other songs they made are fantastic.