PDA

View Full Version : PDF files

Roto13
02-26-2008, 11:41 PM
I have a .doc file I need to convert to a PDF. Is there a free program I can use to do that? :P

rubah
02-26-2008, 11:50 PM
Neooffice can, therefore by definition, open office can.

Foxit probably can also, I'd imagine even the GIMP might could. Start with your word programs and pdf readers though.

Roto13
02-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I tried with Open Office and I couldn't find an option to save it as a PDF. D:

I did find a website that would do it for me. It's slow, though. :P It's going to take an hour and a half. It's a free trial so it's temporary, so I guess if I need too many more, I'm out of luck. xP

crono_logical
02-27-2008, 12:06 AM
My version of GIMP doesn't write PDFs :p

Install CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/) (I think you need both the writer and the Ghostscript converter), it makes a virtual "printer", so anything you print to it from any program that allows printing will create a PDF document file instead :p

Roto13
02-27-2008, 02:59 AM
Hey, it works perfectly. Thank you very much. :)

o_O
02-27-2008, 03:05 AM
Openoffice exports to PDF perfectly for me.

I always just used the PDF button on the top toolbar. :p

Roto13
02-27-2008, 04:00 AM
I just looked again and it's still not there. xD How odd. But whatever. It's certainly no trouble to do it this way from now on.

rubah
02-27-2008, 04:39 AM
In neooffice it's in file->export pdf

(neooffice can effectively be considered open office for the mac, but there are a few differences)

My version of GIMP doesn't write PDFs

I was guessing, actually, sorry xD I thought I remembered some image program that did it, so I took a stab. Of course that would be from a JPEG so nm me xD

JKTrix
02-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Seems like the issue's solved, but I would also recommend "doPDF (http://www.dopdf.com/)". It's free, doesn't use "GhostScript" (just one less thing to have on your PC) and allows you to 'Print' from pretty much any application that can print, straight to a PDF file. There are other programs like it, but this one's probably one of the more accessible ones.

Roto13
02-27-2008, 03:04 PM
In neooffice it's in file->export pdf

(neooffice can effectively be considered open office for the mac, but there are a few differences)

Still not there. xD

Vyk
02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
My OpenOffice Writer has it o.o

Which I've never known. Super

Version 2.1

Roto13
02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Maybe I have an older version or something. Or maybe something went oddly wrong during installation. xP I dunno. I'm gonna redownload and reinstall it.

EDIT: There we go. It magically appeared when I reinstalled. xD Stupid everything. I blame Bill Gates.