PDA

View Full Version : Default Job and Garment Grid GoGo!

LunarWeaver
02-27-2008, 09:11 PM
I am going to do a game using only the default jobs: Gunner, Thief, and Warrior. Then, obviously, only the default First Steps grid. Also no accessories granting other abilities, because that's cheating! I will then chronicle my adventures and you will all watch them with interest (this thread will receive 0 replies).

If anybody wants to do it with me I would be most pleased :bigsmile:

Editga: For the sake of stuff-

Yuna must be a Gunner
Rikku must be a Thief
Paine must be a Warrior
No accessories
No changing jobs
No special Garment Grids
Must be on Active
No pickle jars allowed on the Celcius

Skyblade
02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
The default jobs aren't that bad. The biggest problem will be using Rikku to keep you stocked up on Potions. Without a class that has any inherent healing, it will be an annoying trip, but not impossible. Are you going to use stat boosting, status preventing, or elemental absorbing accessories? Or no accessories at all?

Edit: Since your pic shows Yuna in Songstress, I have to wonder if you'll be using it too.

LunarWeaver
02-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I took that picture the first time I could get in the menu. I switched to Gunner right after that. I didn't even realize I still had Songstress on! At the end there'll be proof I didn't do any of the rest.

It's not impossible by any stretch, just for fun to make it harder. I guess I can do no accesssories :mastersha We'll call it a mini-challenge! I can't do these "Level 1 beat the end boss" things xD

Skyblade
02-27-2008, 10:18 PM
I wasn't complaining, just wanting to get the rules straight.

Items won't be as much trouble as I at first suspected. Forgot that you can always buy some (I basically never use shops in my games). Or play Sphere Break and go digging to get rare ones like Elixirs and Mega Potions.

LunarWeaver
02-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Oh, I know, I didn't mean for it to come off like I was reprimanding you or anything!

No no, Sphere Break is for other people xD I couldn't play it to get things even if I wanted to.

Markus. D
02-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Songstress ;]

Pretty much counts too (as you're forced to transform into it in the second battle).

Don't forget to spam songs! having a +10 in that certain buff can reallllllly help in terms of buffing up damage.

As for dances... maybe only to really level up (Pilfer EXP works a sort of charm too >_>)...

I reccomend using three gunners later on as they can get some NASTY damage with the EXP Shot or whatever it's called...

And yeah, you're all set :3

Edit: I did a similar challenge to this (Cept I used acc and ggs >_>)... It allowed me to appreciate the Gunner other than for spamming Trigger Happy and well, My most recent play through had me constantly switching to a Songstress in the Via-Infinito, on the later floors :]

LunarWeaver
02-28-2008, 02:35 AM
Miiika-chan :aimmad:! I can't spam songs or use three gunners! I have to use the Gunner, Thief, and Warrior jobs on all three respective girls with their abilities and no accessories the whole way through, silly. So when I say default, I mean I can't change it to anything else at all, not even three of the same default jobs.

That songstress picture was an oopsie.

Also, update n' such. (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/LunarWeaver/?action=view&current=FFx-2start004.flv) Those percents on the other jobs are there when you get them and cannot be helped.

Roogle
02-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Thank you for documenting your challenged playthrough on the forums, LunarWeaver.

I have played a similar playthrough of Final Fantasy X-2. Yuna was automatically equipped with an accessory to give her access to White Magic from the start of the game, and Rikku was equipped with an accessory to give her access to Black Magic at the start of the game. Paine was equipped to have better statistics than the other two characters. My reasoning for allowing Yuna and Rikku to use White and Black Magic was because of events in Final Fantasy X.

Markus. D
02-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Miiika-chan :aimmad:! I can't spam songs or use three gunners! I have to use the Gunner, Thief, and Warrior jobs on all three respective girls with their abilities and no accessories the whole way through, silly. So when I say default, I mean I can't change it to anything else at all, not even three of the same default jobs.

That songstress picture was an oopsie.

Also, update n' such. (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/LunarWeaver/?action=view&current=FFx-2start004.flv) Those percents on the other jobs are there when you get them and cannot be helped.

D: Okay, I get it now!

>_<! This is kewl~ :33

LunarWeaver
02-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Yeah, I explained it really bad XD

Thanks for changing the title, Roogle.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm trying to sneak into the Syndicate right now. Ormi and Whatevergun were actually quite hard. I wish they'd sell me hi-potions already!

Markus. D
02-29-2008, 12:41 PM
DUDE!

Pilfer~

edit: or steal >_>?... use!

LunarWeaver
03-01-2008, 03:55 AM
I steal like a maniac, but they don't give as many high-potions as I assumed. It quite frankly depresses me!

Here's an update on how things are going (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/LunarWeaver/?action=view&current=FFx-2start008.flv) :grover:

IronOcean
03-01-2008, 04:57 AM
that sound like alot of fun it will be tough but in a fun way i will let you know how i do!

Markus. D
03-01-2008, 01:00 PM
ZOMG! I've started doing this playthrough myself xD

My Rikku has these mastered (Discluding the already mastered ones... I think):
First Strike (If you don't have this, you're killing yourself :()
Initiative
Item Hunter
Pilfer Gil (I don't use it :\)
Pilfer HP (I have potions... so I don't use this, not enough HP from it anyways :3)
Pilfer MP (The core of Thief Upkeep in lonnnnnng battles)
Sticky Fingers (I only got this so I could get Master Thief >_>)
Master Thief (YES!)
Soul Swipe (For when beserk is needed :]... combine it with Paine's Power/Armor break :DD)

Painekins... is a warrior... D:!
All the breaks mastered
Delay Attack
Delay Buster (Apart from the breaks, 'tis allllll you need a warrior for :D)
SOS Protect (It will help a little in the Via)

Yuna the Gunner (:(...)
Darkproof (Very useful ^^!)
Burst Shot (Only because I wanted the crowd ones T_T)
Scattershot (For when the better one is not needed ;]... much lower MP cost)
Scatterburst (KABOOM! Instant all around Criticals :DDD)
On the level (Screw trigger happy, Have Yuna Overleveled and you can pretty much 1/2/3/4 hit bosses xD!)

They'll eventually all max and I'll get confused.

I've also noticed how very frail a party is without a White Mage/Songstress :[

EDIT!: I also noticed while playing that there is no Pilfer EXP :[...

LunarWeaver
03-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Yay someone else is doing it! :jess: You're my favorite person now.

Without magic this game is definitely tough. Apparently the game expects you to have stat boosting accessories, too. Yearg! But I can do it.

I wish there was a Pilfer EXP :( I was using Pilfer Gil for a while, but then I sold so many accessories that I got rich and decided it was useless.

At this point my girlies pretty much know everything. Make sure you have Stop Proof before Baralai. He's a prick with that D:

I need to go steal Light Curtains...

Renmiri
03-01-2008, 08:23 PM
No pickle jars in the ship ?

NOoooooooo!!!!

Congrats on doing the challenge. Sounds like fun :D

Tavrobel
03-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Without magic this game is definitely tough.

Wow. I must have been doing this challenge without knowing it.

Markus. D
03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Without magic this game is definitely tough.

Wow. I must have been doing this challenge without knowing it.

lawl~ :3

As for the challenge.

ZOMG! I'm in the Via-Areas, full mastered now and can't get past the first boss XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

LunarWeaver
03-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Are you talking Via Infinito!? You're that far already? :0

Seraphic
03-02-2008, 06:13 AM
That fight against Baralai seemed tuffies.
I wonder how the rest of it will go,lol.
I know sometimes i would have to rely on the super dresspheres just to stay alive.
But I suck,so who cares.

Markus. D
03-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Are you talking Via Infinito!? You're that far already? :0

Yeah... I've played through it that many times I can kinda... breeze through a new game and end up with about 80-90% in about a three day span :P

I can tell I really need to level, the first boss of the Via was not a cakewalk at all :[ (pure luck... not the Thief kind).

LunarWeaver
03-04-2008, 03:49 AM
Daaamn. I've played this game quite a lot, but not that much. It's been too long and I forgot a few things, too. Most of the sidequest stuff bores me anyway. I'm not even gonna try Via Infinito. That's too much bullplop for me. If you beat it using this challenge, I'll hail you as a God. I don't know how the final boss will be possible, though.

I'm at Chapter 4 these days. Updates are fun, I guess. (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/LunarWeaver/?action=view&current=FFX-2Dragon.flv)

Now I get to see Yuna prevent a war through a J-Pop ballad.

Seraphic
03-04-2008, 04:34 AM
Your team seems to be getting stronger!
Although Baralai always was a tough cookie.
Yuna's songs are full of subliminal messages, thats why her songstress dressphere has magic in it.
Think about it.

Markus. D
03-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Daaamn. I've played this game quite a lot, but not that much. It's been too long and I forgot a few things, too. Most of the sidequest stuff bores me anyway. I'm not even gonna try Via Infinito. That's too much bullplop for me. If you beat it using this challenge, I'll hail you as a God. I don't know how the final boss will be possible, though.

I'm at Chapter 4 these days. Updates are fun, I guess. (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/LunarWeaver/?action=view&current=FFX-2Dragon.flv)

Now I get to see Yuna prevent a war through a J-Pop ballad.

Yeah I'm not having any luck at all inside it (SECOND BOSS > me)...

I think I'll just attempt the final boss and be done!

:D...

I'd say the only interesting and worth doing side-quest is the Crimson Spheres 'n' stuff, develops on Paine... she's rad *-*!

On the upside ... The Elemental Boss instantly wipes out my Party with Ultima :(

LunarWeaver
03-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Did you ever beat it! :jess:

Oh yeah, the Crimson Sphere stuff. That actually is pretty interesting. I'm too lazy to get them all, though.

I will tell you right now the Thief is garbage. The Warrior and Gunner are really not so bad. But she's good for stealing some nice things. I need to steal lots of X-Potions because the Hi-Potion isn't cuttin' it anymore, kiddies. I almost cringe when I level and get more HP. Mm, nonsense :grover:

Who has X-potions and Ethers to steal anyway D:

Markus. D
03-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Can't even begin to attempt to guard against Ultima.

Sooo, I fail. :(

I wanna wait till you beat Vegna :3 before I do.

sleepy_shadow
03-07-2008, 04:25 PM
What about the Itchy status effect? How have you been handling that?

LunarWeaver
03-08-2008, 02:50 AM
What's Itchy :jess: If I ever get it, I probably just Remedy that business. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, I'll manually kill them and bring them back.

I can't get past Shiva on my way to the farplane. I'm severely underleveled, ohohoho. Goddamn my lack of Curaga.

BG-57
03-08-2008, 01:01 PM
If memory serves, it's a status ailment that makes it impossible to spherechange.

Markus. D
03-08-2008, 09:19 PM
What about the Itchy status effect? How have you been handling that?

It comes across every blue moon's christmas day.

@Shiva fight.

Despite On The Level being my answer for everything... use On the Level for that battle! (That's what I'm gonna dooo~)

... I hope Shiva is not immune to Delay Buster... that would be awful ._.

LunarWeaver
03-09-2008, 10:21 PM
I don't have to worry about Itchy and Scratchy, then :jess:

I beat Shiva yesterday. Just took some leveling. I was trying to pummel her at level 35, which I'm sure is possible, but getting to level 41 made a world of difference. All my ladies needed was some good old-fashioned, tyrannical slave work.

I'll probably beat it today or tomorrow. Maybe a few days. Depends on how hard Vegnapooty ends up being.

My Burst Shot has begun to do more than On the Level D: That's probably a sign we would call not fabulous.

Markus. D
03-10-2008, 05:41 AM
I don't have to worry about Itchy and Scratchy, then :jess:

I beat Shiva yesterday. Just took some leveling. I was trying to pummel her at level 35, which I'm sure is possible, but getting to level 41 made a world of difference. All my ladies needed was some good old-fashioned, tyrannical slave work.

I'll probably beat it today or tomorrow. Maybe a few days. Depends on how hard Vegnapooty ends up being.

My Burst Shot has begun to do more than On the Level D: That's probably a sign we would call not fabulous.

D:! That's craaaazy!

As for the whole thief being crapola ordeal.

The initial double attack damage is extemely low unless you critical... I THINK Criticals are dealt through luck/chance... of which thief has the most of.
(The Garment Grid that looks like a star... of which I don't remember the name of xD!... Change through that ^^~ it gives a critical at level 17-19 (D:!) about 90% of the time...) ... Luck itself stays about the same for the theif from level 1 till 99 :\...

To bad you can't use non-first step GG in this playthrough D:!

sleepy_shadow
03-10-2008, 04:21 PM
If memory serves, it's a status ailment that makes it impossible to spherechange.
That's the Curse Effect. Itchy forces you to dressphere change.

Roogle
03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I think that Itchy and Curse are relatively rare status effects. I recall players going through the entire game and never being inflicted with Itchy.

BG-57
03-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Which is why I don't remember it too well.

sleepy_shadow
03-11-2008, 07:10 PM
A lot of the 'Ochu' beasties inflict itchy, and so does the 'Ultima Weapon' beasty.

LunarWeaver
03-12-2008, 01:26 AM
I put Ochus in soup before they have a chance to move! And by that I mean I avoid them.

I'm at the Farplane. Sweet soggy pixiestick, the Magus Sisters were fucking haaard.

I might have to do a little more leveling. When I chain a lot, Pilfer HP actually does quite a bit. Enough that it heals her without using a potion and hurts them, anyway. Not saying I use it as my attack or anything, but just saying. Just SAYING, Tavrobel.

This has actually been a lot of fun. Although I had to skip most of the cutscenes because I've seen them so many times. And because they do too many poses for my mental health.

sleepy_shadow
03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
That's no kidding. Yuna does the whole 'hands on hips leaning back defiant' pose in almost every cutscene. It's enough to make ya gag the 3,000000000000 time she does it (in one playthrough . . .)
Nice work on making it to the farplane.

LunarWeaver
03-16-2008, 04:26 AM
UH-OH, I beat this a few days ago but was too lazy to say anything until now. Turns out Vegnagun was actually pretty easy. My problem is I hoard all my items even at the end of games. It's like I get all these mega-elixers then never even use them. Oh well.

Here's me beating Shuyin if anyone gives a flying duchess. (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/LunarWeaver/?action=view&current=FFX-2Shuyin.flv)

This was a lot of fun. I didn't do any sidequests or level up too much, making it fairly difficult. I loaded my New Game + after and realized how boring it is when it's that easy.

Thanks to anyone who bothered coming in here and checking it out :count: Maybe someone else will do it before this thread gets old or something.

Seraphic
03-17-2008, 05:49 AM
I saw your shuyin defeat a couple hours ago and was impressed greatly <3
I might do this some day and tell you about it on a post-it.
You sir,are made of greatness.
Still think it needs more Berserker dressphere.

Markus. D
03-18-2008, 08:28 AM
UH-OH, I beat this a few days ago but was too lazy to say anything until now. Turns out Vegnagun was actually pretty easy. My problem is I hoard all my items even at the end of games. It's like I get all these mega-elixers then never even use them. Oh well.

Here's me beating Shuyin if anyone gives a flying duchess. (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i29/LunarWeaver/?action=view&current=FFX-2Shuyin.flv)

This was a lot of fun. I didn't do any sidequests or level up too much, making it fairly difficult. I loaded my New Game + after and realized how boring it is when it's that easy.

Thanks to anyone who bothered coming in here and checking it out :count: Maybe someone else will do it before this thread gets old or something.

Grats :D!

Roogle
03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I think that the game seems to flow better from a storyline standpoint when you leave out the aspect of dresspheres and all of that. If I attempt to have the characters play only as their default job, I would likely use better Garment Grids and load them up with the same job class. If I remember correctly, you can do that, right?

Markus. D
03-19-2008, 06:29 PM
It's possible, but requires multiple playthroughs.

And is quite pointless if you plan on gate passing all gates (in most Garment Grid Cases).

LunarWeaver
03-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Like Mika-chan says, you can put multiple Dress Spheres on one Grid, but you have to play through multiple times to get more than one. But it's not like going through those nodes is all that great. I'd just slap them on for the bonus and call it a day myself.

And it really did flow better using only those three :jess:. It was kinda fun, in an odd way, to see their cutscene selves match up with their battle selves throughout the entire plot, too.

Roogle
03-19-2008, 06:39 PM
I think the goal would be to allow all of the characters to use their default job without having to switch to other dresspheres and still allow the use of powerful Garment Grids with abilities only activated by passing through all of the nodes.

And it really did flow better using only those three :jess:. It was kinda fun, in an odd way, to see their cutscene selves match up with their battle selves throughout the entire plot, too.

I always thought that it looked very inconsistent to have them constantly dress in the default gear, yet somehow change fast enough in time for a battle. I guess it would have looked a little weird with some job classes walking around casually. Trainer? Berserker? Psychic?