PDA

View Full Version : Laptop power supply woes

Roto13
02-28-2008, 06:58 PM
My husband has a European laptop. His power supply is currently stuck somewhere between here and Brazil and he needs a new one. I'm wondering if a North American power supply will work with it. We don't want to have to order a new one from Europe. :P

crono_logical
02-28-2008, 07:09 PM
As long as the adapter gives the correct output voltage/current, I wouldn't think it'd be a problem :p Both my laptop adapters support both 110 and 230 V input, just a matter of me changing the kettle lead plug on the other end if I really needed to to fit the other socket shape :p

rubah
02-28-2008, 07:09 PM
DISCLAIMER: I am not an electrical engineer of any kind and my suggestions are highly speculative. Don't do it if you don't want to risk something exploding xD

If you have something that would supply more enough enough power, odds are it probably won't supply too much, so if you can plug it in, try it. But be careful!

Roto13
02-28-2008, 08:20 PM
A small part of me wants to try the power supply from my new laptop. xP Instead I think we're going to try to find a universal power supply to try out. It's either that or buy a new laptop at this point. :P How many of those things are we going to buy this month?

Renmiri
02-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Going from 230 V (Europe) to 110 V (US) is not a big problem for a limited time - like 1 minute. See if it works, if it doesn't turn it off quickly. Then get a transformer to go from 110 'v to 230 and plug the laptop to it.

The opposite might fry a laptop though (going from 110 to 230 V). So don't try your laptop in Europe :p

PS: Brazilian heh ? Same here :D