PDA

View Full Version : Need urgent help please.

sillybuttons™
02-29-2008, 09:26 AM
The boss' computer has went down and this message is displayed at start up. C:\windows\system32\system missing or corrupt. Windows wont boot. I've looked around on tech forums and found a few fixes but the problem is we have no recovery disk of any kind and no backup disk (ducks to avoid intense lectures). Is there anything I can do or will he need to take it to the manufacturer or place he bought it.

OS is XP if this helps but beyond that I have no other specs.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help. :mog:

o_O
02-29-2008, 10:50 AM
You could always download a Linux live CD and perform repairs with that; but it can be a complex task and you need to be comfortable working with a command line interface.

Otherwise, there's not a lot you can do without an XP CD, unfortunately (short of dropping the drive into another computer and messing with it from there (running chkdsk or something like that)).

If you do get a hold of an XP CD, you might want to try the procedure mentioned <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545">here</a>.

sillybuttons™
02-29-2008, 02:03 PM
It's O.K. thanks. The comp was smurfed. It's away to PC world.
Close thread mods if yas want.

Aerith's Knight
02-29-2008, 04:12 PM
lol if you wanted help, why post it in the forum that gets visited least? xD

starseeker
02-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Because this is the help forum

Leeza
03-01-2008, 01:34 AM
AK, your post was totally unnecessary. This thread was started exactly where it should have been.

Problem solved. *closes*

Baloki
03-01-2008, 11:16 AM
*re-closes*