PDA

View Full Version : Gaming History 101

LunarWeaver
03-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Let's say you are a Professor at a University teaching a Gaming History class. You must assign 10 games to a classroom that they will play and discuss to teach them about the industry.

This is not a personal "10 favorite games" list. :(

Here are what I'd make the little bugs do:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (Atari 2600)
Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Tetris (NES)
Mortal Kombat (SNES)
Resident Evil (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)
The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (N64)
Halo (Xbox)

Tavrobel
03-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Pick a group of games that have impacted the face of the current gaming industry?

Donkey Kong (Arcade)
Super Mario Bros (NES)
Legend of Zelda (NES)
Pokemon R/G/B/Y (GB)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
Doom (PC)
FFIV (SNES) -- this is the first one that mattered
FFVII (PSX) -- this one split the generations
Dragon Quest/Warrior (NES)

There's more I could think of, but I only listed the first 10.

NeoCracker
03-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Basically 101 Would be 10 of the Most popular and Revolutionary pre NES games.

First off, Some ARcade Games
Pac Man
Space Invaders

Then, Home Console Games
Pong - The first one ever to hit homes. (I might be wrong on this)

I can't think of many more Pre NES games though.

The next class, however, would be NES, SNES, and Genesis Titles.

The remaining class's would be from PS and N64 on.

Tavrobel
03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I have this feeling that if you assigned anyone with a game from 2000 or beyond, you might wind up losing students.

phbr
03-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
System Shock (PC)
Monkey Island (PC)
Pong (._. ?)
Half-Life (PC)
StarCraft (PC)
Dune 2 (PC)

LunarWeaver
03-01-2008, 06:12 PM
101 is just a silly title I used for no reason! Don't be so literal Crackaface :aimmad:

It can be any from any time period. Assume these people have no lives and plenty of time to play them. And even if they aren't interesting, they still have to beat them :bigsmile: It's not like teachers assign fun homework all the time.

They wouldn't necessarily have to make an impact. Take something like... Soul Calibur probably had more impact on the Fighting genre than Mortal Kombat, but MK had lots of controversy so I picked it. It's kind of up to you.

Tavrobel
03-01-2008, 06:16 PM
It can be any from any time period. Assume these people have no lives and plenty of time to play them. And even if they aren't interesting, they still have to beat them :bigsmile: It's not like teachers assign fun homework all the time.

No, the point I was trying to make, is that if you gave them a post-2000 game (say, WoW), you might literally start losing students. Games, starting with FFVII, started to be come far more massive and filled with extra stuff. They became progressively more time consuming, as opposed to 32 levels in Super Mario Bros, a large chunk of which you could skip (1-1, 1-2, 4-1, 4-2, 8-1/2/3/4).

LunarWeaver
03-01-2008, 06:20 PM
That's why I said assume they can play them all, despite the time factor :( It's not a real classroom xD I just wanted to see what people would pick. I was sick of top 10 favorite listsss.

NeoCracker
03-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Oh shut it Lunar, I'll be as literal as I want.

And when I get arsed to get a list of games by dates, I'll make 101, 201, and 301 lists, so HAH!

KentaRawr!
03-01-2008, 06:21 PM
If I were a professor at such a school, and I was assigning 10 games for students to play, I wouldn't go with the more popular titles and systems, because they probably already know about those things. I'd try to focus more on games for systems that failed, and analyze how the competition went. Then, for a special treat, the 10th game would be Halo 3. :p

LunarWeaver
03-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Cracka, you're just trying to cheat your way out of a list of 10 you cheeky monkey.

But that's like not teaching grammar and spelling in English just because you can speak the language already. :(

KentaRawr!
03-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Well, gosh. :0

First one would be Pong. It's one of the first Video Games, and thus, should be played for more than a few rounds. I'd focus on how this, and whatever spawned in its creation, seemingly had an extremely direct control of the values that represent the player's location, and how in later games, the system itself did much more math for the playing experience. The only thing the system worked out in Pong was the ball, and the values of the paddles were directly represented by the player's position on the dial. Such a method of direct control isn't seen on a mass level until much later, but even then, the system does most of the math.

Next up, we'd go on to a classic Computer RPG, to analyze how the system keeps track of data, and how the Computer's ability to calculate is absolutely crucial to the gaming experience. Also, I'd note that the control scheme was entirely different from Pong's. In Pong, your paddle was directly represented by the setting on the dial. In this, you add to either the X or Y axis by 1 or -1.

Then we'd go on to Metroid, for the NES, but just for the Password System. This is to show directly how saving works. The Password system in Metroid is possible because there's so little to store on the save file. It also has to be made in a specific format, that the company does not share with the public, as to avoid letting players cheat. Each part means something. We'd also take a quick look at the physics of the game. When Samus hits an enemy, she's knocked backwards in relation to where the enemy was. Meaning, in the opposite direction. When the X and Y values get so close to one another, that happens. But if the Y value is above the enemy's value by such an amount, (you jumped over) you aren't hit by the enemy, and you don't go backwards. The X and Y values of both Samus and the enemy must be very close for the reaction to happen.

Then, we'd go on to Sonic the Hedgehog, for more on physics. The more Sonic runs, the faster he gets. This is acceleration. When you let go of the button, and stop adding to the acceleration, he goes slower. If you hit the opposite direction, then his speed gets closer to 0 at a faster rate.

The things seen in the previous games are absolutely crucial, and commonly used in EVERY video game today. After that little bit, I'd make a quick note of a more recent game, Smash Bros. Brawl, and how if you knock the character "Toon Link" high at a very fast rate, and Toon Link uses his Down-A, he freezes mid-air for a short period of time. Let's say the upwards force of an enemy's attack was 10, and the downward force of Toon Link's Down A was 15. He'd stop the upwards force, and go down at whatever rate 5 represents. However, if the upwards force was 15, and Toon Link's Downward Force was 15, then Toon Link will be stuck in the air. If the upwards force was 20, and the Downward Force was 15, then Toon Link would still be stuck in the air, because Toon Link moving downward at a rate of -5 would be weird.

I'd also note how Video Game systems and Computers have increased in how much they can do mathematically at one time over the course of time, and use this to lead into the next lesson: Competition.

I don't feel like writing more. :3

LunarWeaver
03-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Wow, Ken really went serious teacher on that business. I'd say he gets the job.

Tavrobel
03-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Wow, Ken really went serious teacher on that business. I'd say he gets the job.

I was about to say the same thing.

Roto13
03-01-2008, 06:47 PM
1. E.T. - The game that destroyed the leading video game company at the time, the game that nearly killed the entire video game industry, and the game that summarizes why these games based on movies need to stop.

2. Pac-Man - One of the oldest real "main characters" in gaming. Pac-Man had personality and was a character, not just an avatar for the player.

3. Super Mario Bros. - This game breathed life back into the video game industry. After E.T. and Atari failed so miserably, Nintendo took a chance and released the Famicom/NES, followed shortly by Super Mario Bros.. This game revolutionized platformers and spawned about a bajillion clones.

4. Enter the Matrix - Enter the Matrix is a horrible game by most accounts, but it sold over five million copies in all! It was a rush job that sold ridiculously well because of marketing alone. That's something that should be examined, in my opinion.

5. Street Fighter II - Revolutionized fighting games. The first fighter to include that much depth and influence so many games that came after. It's even still popular today and many fighting games still try to emulate it's success.

6. Mortal Kombat - Mortal Kombat brought violence in video games to the forefront and showed that games don't necessarily have to be for kids. The game that caused the creation of the ESRB.

7. Virtua Fighter - Renowned for an incredibly amount of depth and pushing the 3D fighting genre, Virtua Fighter is to 3D fighting games what Street Fighter II is to 2D fighting games.

8. Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy - The fathers of the modern RPG. I put them both together because neither of they both played important roles in popularizing console RPGs. One thing to note is that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest have giant audiences in America and Japan respectively.

9. Tetris - Tetris is still played and remade today. Every falling block style puzzle game is a tribute to Tetris.

10. Galaxy Game/Computer Space/Pong - Galaxy Game was the first coin-op video game ever made. Computer Space was the first video game ever commerically released. Pong was the first one to become popular enough to really call the video game industry an industry at all. They all very important.

I could write a longer list, but I think 10 works. xP

LunarWeaver
03-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Roto skips the chance to force The Ocarina of Time on students?! =0 I find that game important because it was one of the first to use full 3-D really well. Mario 64 was no slouch either, but...

Roto13
03-01-2008, 08:01 PM
If I was to teach about full, free-roaming 3D, I think I'd use Mario 64, yeah. The first Zelda would get a mention for being the first game with a battery backed save system, doing away with passwords. Also for being a kick-ass, non-linear adventure game.

LunarWeaver
03-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Since Roto explained his I want to explain mine! Which nobody will ever read xD

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (Atari 2600)
I have the same reasoning. It encompasses a lot of lessons at once: bad franchise-based games, the industry utilizing names for profit, developers pressed to make a game in a short amount of time... They even mass-produced it to the point there were more copies than there were Ataris.

Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Obviously this one is important. It's a platformer, it made gamers out of millions, it revitalized the industry's importance, etc.

Tetris (NES)
Tetris is simple but effective. It really created its own genre. It's a game that works even now, but more than that this is my "casual game". It shows games don't have to be for hardcore teenies in their dark bedrooms, but for your grandma, too.

Mortal Kombat (SNES)
Figured I should have a fighting game. I chose this one for the violence controversy, namely Sub-Zero's spine maneuver. I find this game an important step of changing how the industry was looked at. Oh, Jack, how you must love this one!

Resident Evil (PSX)
Showed that games can be more than shooting or running side-to-side. This was a horror game! It is not the first of the survival-horror type (hi Alone in the Dark), but it did refine it into what it is. And when you got bit by a zombie more blood than 4 human bodies can even hold flies out, and that's always fun.

Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
This game set a new standard for voice-acting and storytelling. Its cinematic direction and story -- through those unabashed amount of cutscenes -- showed that games can be every bit as epic as a movie. I find it very important to show that games are not all about "pew pew" noises and "shooting things". This game carries a strong political message and interesting characters as well as any other medium.

Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
The game that was a damn book. Like or not, I would gamble this is the most famous RPG. Graphically it was amazing, including the CG movies (back then). It popularized a genre in the West, and that's gotta mean something.

Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)
Well, what game isn't copying off the "sandbox" feel these days? Extremely controversial for letting you run people over, shoot cops, bang hookers, etc. And it got away with it all. This is like the "push the envelope" game.

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (N64)
It's heralded as one of the best of all time, and for good reason. It has a target lock-on system that was rather unique at the time and an Adventure formula that is still copied to this day.

Halo (Xbox)
It's one of the highest selling franchises of all time with only 3 games under its belt. It started a craze and became synonymous with its console. Plus, I needed a first-person shooter.

I guess my students are SOL when it comes to racing games.

Aerith's Knight
03-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Mario bros (NES)
Zelda (NES)
Mario Kart (SNES)
FFVII (PSX)
Doom (PC)
Dune 2 (PC)
Half life (PC)
GTA 1&2 (PC)
Halo (Xbox)
Pokemon r/b/y (GB)

Old Manus
03-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I'd start off with Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing. After this first lesson, the entire class will want to jump off a bridge, and I get the rest of the year to myself.

Breine
03-01-2008, 10:17 PM
In a random order:

Gran Turismo
Tetris
Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Tomb Raider (PSX)
Metal Gear Solid (PSX)
Final Fantasy (NES)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
Tekken 3 (PSX)
Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
Halo (X-Box)
..and the 11th: Metroid Prime (GameCube)

Man, this was hard.

Bolivar
03-04-2008, 06:30 AM
First
1) Pong - something like a genesis
2) Pac Man - showing the creativity that was alive even with limits compared to:
3) ET - lack of creativity with limits

Second
4) Super Mario Brothers - obviously, compared to
5) Sonic - two very similar ideas, but almost completely different in presentation, arguably a good foundation for divering paths a game, and consoles, can take

6) Street Figher II - Improvement on the capabilities led to improvement upon all aspects, and possibly still the best overall fighting game.
7) Mortal Kombat II - again, a comparison, and divergence, focusing more on novelty, but also noted for using live actors instead of illustrations, art direction, basically the other way of doing things again.

Third
8) Mario 64 - arguably the advent of real 3d on a console, compared to
9) Final Fantasy VII - the death of "few-buddies-n-a-garage" development teams. The birth of the camera as a storytelling tool, not just in videos. Its arguably what killed the cartridge.

To End:
10) Half Life - I know people who called this the rebirth of PC-Gaming, others the rebirth of FPS. Also there especially for multiplayer aspects. With its graphics, gameplay, connectivity, it's basically where games are at right now, when taken in context to all the previous entries.

Honorable Mention: definately GTA III, that would be the 11th, but i think Half Life can do its job.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Ten games aren't enough. I'd just make multiple courses based on era, as with literature.
1. E.T. - The game that destroyed the leading video game company at the time, the game that nearly killed the entire video game industryThis game is certainly evocative of the crash, but it alone didn't cause it.

Quindiana Jones
03-04-2008, 08:57 PM
The only game anyone need ever play is clearly FFX.

ljkkjlcm9
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
ones that had huge effects, obviously if it's the first one, it'd be the first of the genre and their effects

-Pong(first popular)
-ET (explained by people earlier)
-Donkey Kong or Pacman (first huge arcade)
-Super Mario Bros (first real system seller, and action/adventure)
-Dragon Quest (first huge RPG)
-Tetris (biggest puzzle game ever)
-Wolfenstein 3D (started the huge FPS genre)
-Myst (huge puzzle/exploration)
-Command & Conquer (first big RTS)
-Intellivision Baseball (couldn't think of a good sports one, but I remember loving this game)

THE JACKEL

scrumpleberry
03-04-2008, 09:40 PM
*headsplode*

I can't think of any ten games, particularly not spanning all genres and generations. Maybe for RPGS, but...this is too great a task for me. I must concede. Away..!

edczxcvbnm
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
1) Pong
2) Space Invaders - Rise of Arcades
3) ET - The point everyone credits as the turning point toward the market crash
4) Super Mario Bros - Best selling game ever(40 million copies), characters and formula still exist today, was a great game that people still love to play and much more
5) DooM II - Technological Achievements
6) Quake - See DooM but for 3D
7) Super Mario 64 - I view this as a precursor to many games. Grand Theft Auto III even. Mario 64 had open ended gameplay. You could just go into a world and do whatever. No real set path on how to beat the game. Many others tried to copy the success it had as well.
8) Metal Gear Solid - Redefined what a game can be with presentation, story, graphics and more. This was further realized by its sequel Metal Gear Solid 2. Some would argue FFVII and I think it nailed the presentation but not on the story aspect or the way the graphics were utilized to tell the story. Not to mention that Metal Gear had much better localization(Noles Pole anyone?).
9) Counter Strike - While not the first online multiplayer game, I think this is the one that brought online gaming out in a big way.
10) Reserved for when someone finally does something monumental with the Wii.