PDA

View Full Version : Fie on you!

Araciel
03-03-2008, 06:46 AM
You people who leave messenger signed in even when you're not around.

I mean honestly...I leave mine on only when I'm going to be at my computar machine within five minutes.

I suppose I'm being needy but I just get annoyed when someone is 'away' for a week, and 'away' actually means in another country.

What are your instant messenger habits, and are you one of those people who rouse such ire in me?!

I am on messenger if I'm at my computer...which is often.

Avarice-ness
03-03-2008, 07:07 AM
I'd leave AIM on for ever if I had faith in my computer not over heating for being on for a long time. Solely because with AIM you can atleast tell how long they havn't touched the computer. Person you want to talk to is on away, just look at their idle time!

As for MSN, I usually sign in as appearing offline then have myself set as away. Basically everyone knows that I tend to not talk to someone that messages me and if I've signed in it means I want to talk to someone specific.

Either way, I like AIM better just 'cause I won't get a million messages like "ARE YOU THERE" because yeah they can see my message says "I'm sleeping" and I've been idle for 6 hours.

My boyfriend leaves msn on all the time alot, what's worse though is he signs online as being online and no one will message him til he goes on away. :p

Like I told him "If your signed online in the first place it's implied that you can get to the computer and talk"

Araciel
03-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Well...you CAN put yourself in an away status, and even leave a personal message describing what the heck you're doing...but most just seem to ignore it...Shame on them for finding things more important than a computer messenger program.

Avarice-ness
03-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Well...you CAN put yourself in an away status, and even leave a personal message describing what the heck you're doing...but most just seem to ignore it...Shame on them for finding things more important than a computer messenger program.

If I'm not at the computer or doing something that requires me to not talk to anyone online then I just sign off, I don't see what the harm in signing off is.

rubah
03-03-2008, 07:27 AM
I like to leave my 'classes' away message up for days because I forget about it.

Araciel
03-03-2008, 07:30 AM
I like to leave my 'classes' away message up for days because I forget about it.

You're SO off my buddy list...owait you weren't onit anyway hee hee hee

Vyk
03-03-2008, 08:34 AM
I went through a dry spell in instant messaging where nobody would talk to me for weeks so I quit worrying about my status. Then just kinda got used to it. If I'm not there, then my messengers work kinda like an answering machine. I do use away messages on AIM. Unless I pass out at random. Which has been known to happen recently.. :(

Araciel
03-03-2008, 08:36 AM
AIM opened my computer's floodgates to all kinds of foulness that I will not mention here.

KoShiatar
03-03-2008, 09:10 AM
When I'm AFK, I usually put up a sign saying so, and since I have MSN Plus! installed I can also be more specific (on the couch, making supper and so on). I try not to leave it on when I'm sleeping or outside the house, though.

Rantz
03-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Away from the computer?!?

Araciel
03-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Away from the computer?!?

:p

Ashi
03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
I was one of the people that would annoy you. My computer used to be on all the time, and with that my messenger and online game where my alternate character would be selling goods while I was away. I don't know why I left the messenger on, I guess I just forgot. Felt like it took too long to turn on the PC, the game and messenger. Even then, though, my msn status was always 'away'.

These days, though, I am rarely on msn. Kept forgetting about it, I mostly purged my msn list when I stopped playing that online game so my list of contacts has decreased drastically - and the ones that stayed are 24/7 afkers.

Jessweeee♪
03-03-2008, 03:05 PM
You people who leave messenger signed in even when you're not around.

I mean honestly...I leave mine on only when I'm going to be at my computar machine within five minutes.

I suppose I'm being needy but I just get annoyed when someone is 'away' for a week, and 'away' actually means in another country.

What are your instant messenger habits, and are you one of those people who rouse such ire in me?!

I am on messenger if I'm at my computer...which is often.

If I'm signed in I'll be away a maximum of five hours, but usually just half an hour at the most xD

My friend is CONSTANTLY signed in and always away, so I never know if they're out of town or just busy playing Halo or sumthin and don't want to be disturbed.

I like to invite all of my friends on the same messenger into one conversation sometimes :p
I have way more people on my MSN list, though, so people get annoyed when I do that xDD

Roto13
03-03-2008, 03:22 PM
That's so annoying. I mean, Jesus! I've been signed in for the past week straight, but I appear offline so I'm not cluttering up everyone else's MSN list. I wish other people would have the same courtesy.

Aerith's Knight
03-03-2008, 03:25 PM
*guiltely stares at the floor*

i usually go offline when im not around though.

Peegee
03-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm in away mode even when I'm at my computer.

PG, out to lunch since 2005.

I am perpetually (except when my computer turns off during a power outtage) on aim in away mode where my away msg is /asl

I've been that way for about 6 years now.

Aerith's Knight
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM

I am perpetually (except when my computer turns off during a power outtage) on aim in away mode where my away msg is /asl

I actually get that joke =D

at least, if it is what i think it is.

Vermachtnis
03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I have a bad habit of logging out as soon as I turn my computer on.

Captain Maxx Power
03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
People who never initiate a conversation with me when they're blatantly online piss me off. Seriously, I'm right here! I'm always the one who has to start a conversation, and if I'm busy I don't bother. Then you get people who message you when you're AFK and start bitching and moaning when you don't reply within a split second. They can go shove it as far as I'm concerned - have some bloody patience! I also don't get nearly enough hot chicks sending me messages. I should get like a thousand a second or something, it's a freakin' sausage fest. Man I hate my life.

Aerith's Knight
03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
People who never initiate a conversation with me when they're blatantly online piss me off. Seriously, I'm right here! I'm always the one who has to start a conversation, and if I'm busy I don't bother. Then you get people who message you when you're AFK and start bitching and moaning when you don't reply within a split second. They can go shove it as far as I'm concerned - have some bloody patience! I also don't get nearly enough hot chicks sending me messages. I should get like a thousand a second or something, it's a freakin' sausage fest. Man I hate my life.

there might be a reason :greenie:

Strawberry_Mew
03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
I just check my MSN 2 see who is online if no one is I just sign off XD

Roto13
03-03-2008, 04:26 PM
I rarely message people first, so if any of you get a message from me on IM, know there's a reason. xP

Psychotic
03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm only online on MSN if I'm actually there. Heck, I'm online and at my computer right now and I'm not signed into MSN.

Peegee
03-03-2008, 04:45 PM

It's supposed to indicate I'm morbidly obese...or something. I like food.

'out to lunch' actually means you're not paying attention, which sorta makes sense too.

Which is it?

Then you get people who message you when you're AFK and start bitching and moaning when you don't reply within a split second

...Daniel? Are you visiting CMP? <3

What I do in to avoid that is just go 'yo' or some sort of silly message to say hi. If they reply, cool. If not, okay, no harm no foul.

I just called a friend of mine a slacker, for example.

Aerith's Knight
03-03-2008, 05:04 PM

It's supposed to indicate I'm morbidly obese...or something. I like food.

'out to lunch' actually means you're not paying attention, which sorta makes sense too.

Which is it?

nvm =(

i thought u might have read the ultimate hitchhikers guide to the universe.

fire_of_avalon
03-03-2008, 05:11 PM
You shut up, Ara!

Jess
03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
If my laptop is on, I'm signed into MSN. I turn my laptop off if I'm sleeping or if I'm out of the house for more than a couple of hours. If I'm not at my laptop I usually put a message in my display name like '(TV)' or '(Driving!)' or I'll set the appropriate away status. If I'm not there when somebody IMs me I'll just reply to them when I come back. :jess:

Peegee
03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
nvm =(

i thought u might have read the ultimate hitchhikers guide to the universe.

I've watched the movie only =(

esoteria revealed, plox

rubah
03-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Perhaps you were having lunch at Milliways.

Peegies I'm ashamed, you need to read the books >:[ that movie has about as much semblence to HHGttG as a cat does to a lion! they might be bred off the same line, but they sure FEEL different to encounter!

*added ara*

WHAT NOW, HUH?

Quindiana Jones
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I rarely go on messenger. Well, rarelier than I used to. I'll say away if it's 10 mins or so, or I'll try to be as honest as possible with the Busy etc stuff. But mine just logs me off anyway if I'm gone to long.

I hate people who stop talking to you randomly during a conversation. I also don't like it when people just ignore your "Hi"s. That's just rude. I at least say something like "Hey, I'm gonna be off in a min." And if I just don't want to talk to them for now I'll say that and block them. :bigsmile:

Tallulah
03-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm always on Appear Offline... :D

Araciel
03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
General concensus: I hate you all.

smittenkitten
03-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I have my messengers on all the time, but can't be bothered to change from away whenever I'm actually on. :D

rubah
03-04-2008, 12:02 AM
okay my status is 'available' SWARM ON ME, HORDES.

Captain Maxx Power
03-04-2008, 12:56 AM
General concensus: I hate you all.

Welcome to the Dark Side. :radred:

XxSephirothxX
03-04-2008, 01:43 AM
I like using status messages and believe in the idea of people being able to leave me a message anytime, even though this is never actually necessary. Self-important ftw. :cool:

theundeadhero
03-04-2008, 01:56 AM
Dude, just say hello to see if I'm there or not. My messenger might say I've been away for hours but maybe that's just because I haven't talked to anyone on it for a while.

Sarc the Swordsman
03-04-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm kind of fed up of MSN at the moment. I always talk to people when they message me...but recently certain contacts have just really been annoying me. I need new people to talk to!

Feel free to add me: drew_james_89@hotmail.com

I'm always up for a good chat! As for bad MSN habits...sometimes I get distracted by youtube for a few minutes.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-04-2008, 02:20 AM
I sign-in offline. Most of the time I stay offline and only message those who I want to talk to. Eventually I might change my status to online, away or busy depending if I want to be bothered or not or that whoever I talking to wants to send something to me so I need to change my status. If I am going to get the mail or doing something in the kitchen or just away from my computer for five minutes or so, I will not change my status. Very rarely, while I am online, I will end up falling asleep. How that happens is I am set to online but I lay in bed to read and fall asleep in bed. :/

Annoying are those who expect me to reply ASAP. -__-;

Most of the time when I am online people do not message me anyways so I just lurk offline since it is less of a hassle.

~*~Celes~*~
03-04-2008, 02:48 AM
I sometimes accidentally leave msn signed in while I'm asleep and so I'll wake up to several "Kari? Are you there?" messages D= But most times, I'll remember to sign off.

I always have skype running because I talk to Alan on it =] Aim, I'm hardly ever on because I only use it to talk to my school friends.

Other than that, I try to set messages if I'm gone somewhere for hours on end. I ALWAYS find "are you there?" messages anyway though >.>

Sarc the Swordsman
03-04-2008, 02:49 AM
I always sign off if I know I'm going to be away from the computer for a decent amount of time. Even if it's only ten minutes to so, I'll at least change my status or personal message on MSN to away.

One thing I can't stand though, is when people ignore you when you message them. >_< (And they change their message and things so you know they're online.)

Blue Harvest
03-04-2008, 02:16 PM
I always sign in as appear offline and change it to online straight away. I always change to away unless I'll only be gone for a few seconds, in which case I'll tell whoever I'm talking to.

Jessweeee♪
03-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I always sign in as appear offline and change it to online straight away.

Me too :p

Otherwise my computer freezes if people message me as soon as I sign in x.x

Breine
03-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I only use MSN sometimes, but when I use it I'm pretty much always online. Really dislike the "away" thing as well.

Cloudane
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Heh, many years ago when I was in school, the internet was small and cute and grey and ICQ was all the rage... I'd leave it on 24/7. But then there was only a couple of close mates on it anyway.

Nowadays I don't like IMs much. It's not like I'm completely anti-social, but sometimes it's annoying when I'm trying to browse the web or write forum posts and there are a bunch of people bugging me with small talk. I could just leave it on 'Busy' but I'd be inclined to leave it on busy all the time so instead I just don't bother running it :p

If people want to "chat" and make small talk there is always facebook/bebo/etc or even email. Those who are likely to have an actual purpose for contacting me already have my mobile number, so IM is pretty much redundant and mostly annoying.

Aerith's Knight
03-04-2008, 03:40 PM
okay my status is 'available' SWARM ON ME, HORDES.

but you're not available.. so that would be lying :p

Momiji
03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm the kind of person who never says if I'm away or not. Generally, if I don't answer you within 10 seconds, I'm away or busy.