PDA

View Full Version : Two Rules of Humanity?

Araciel
03-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Was talking to a friend a while ago and he postulated that the only two things he's learned about people that are always true are that

1. Nobody likes to look stupid.

and 2. Everybody likes to win.

While I can agree that those are both true, I'm sure there are more things that I would agree apply to everyone's personality.

I tend to correct people when it comes to spelling, grammar, pronunciation etc...Really I'm by no means an authority on these subjects, as I would assume is evident in my posts here, but I try to impart what bits knowledge I can to try and help people.

So, poor structure aside, do you think there are more rules? What rules would you add to the list?

(this is in general for the purposes of not inciting responses such as 'generalizing people is wrong,' etc...)

also, do you think I should stop correcting friends and family on their poor use of English?

Avarice-ness
03-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Was talking to a friend a while ago and he postulated that the only two things he's learned about people that are always true are that

1. Nobody likes to look stupid.

and 2. Everybody likes to win.

While I can agree that those are both true, I'm sure there are more things that I would agree apply to everyone's personality.

I tend to correct people when it comes to spelling, grammar, pronunciation etc...Really I'm by no means an authority on these subjects, as I would assume is evident in my posts here, but I try to impart what bits knowledge I can to try and help people.

So, poor structure aside, do you think there are more rules? What rules would you add to the list?

(this is in general for the purposes of not inciting responses such as 'generalizing people is wrong,' etc...)

also, do you think I should stop correcting friends and family on their poor use of English?

I actually don't agree with the everyone likes to win.

If I won a free pistacio ice cream I'd prolly give it to someone else and be depressed about winning something I can't stand. Sure I won, but winnings not everything, especially when it's not worth it.

Araciel
03-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Hrmm well then I have misjudged humanity...Wouldn't be the first time ;)

SwordFighter_Dago
03-03-2008, 07:43 AM
The first one also doesn't apply to everyone, I have a friend who looks stupid on purpose just because he wants attention. Though I think that's something we actually CAN agree on: Everyone needs attention, even if it's only for a small bit.

Araciel
03-03-2008, 07:43 AM
I would argue that it means no one wants to look stupid WHEN THEY DON'T INTEND TO, but I thought it was implied.

FightClubFan#47
03-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Everyone will laugh if they see either a handicapped person or midget on TV, unless they are a midget or a handicapped person, ow was traumatized by a midget or handicapped person.

Quindiana Jones
03-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Everyone lies. :bigsmile:

Madame Adequate
03-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Everyone is... nope, not coming up with anything.

You'll always find exceptions.

~*~Celes~*~
03-03-2008, 01:29 PM
It's impossible not to :)

Tavrobel
03-03-2008, 02:18 PM

Corollary: Everybody sins. So go break into their house.

Peegee
03-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Generalizing is wrong xP

Let's try a few ones that seem universal:

Everybody doesn't want to die
Everybody has a biological imperative to mate and spawn the most fit child possible

..wait these are overcome with a(n) (ir)rational mind...

I'll try one. Nietzsche once argued that life (sentient?) have one goal above all things (even living), and that is the will to power. Life is a will to power and nothing more. I'm not sure if this is what you mean when you said that people didn't want to lose (your exact words were that we wanted to always win), but off the top of my head I would imagine life would be boring if I were all powerful or if I were somehow incapable of failure.

Then again my only rebuttal of the will to power is that I lack sufficient creativity to entertain myself. I'm far too tired to come up with some rebuttals. You do it.

edit: stupid typos and missing letters. Ugh

Captain Maxx Power
03-03-2008, 02:35 PM
There's really is only two rules of humanity;

1 - Captain Maxx Power is better than everyone else
2 - People really ought to listen to Captain Maxx Power. Seriously.

Peegee
03-03-2008, 02:43 PM
There's really is only two rules of humanity;

1 - Captain Maxx Power is better than everyone else
2 - People really ought to listen to Captain Maxx Power. Seriously.

I listen to you. What do I get?

This reminds me. What consequence if any is there to not following the 'universal motivation of all humanity' , presuming there is one?

Aerith's Knight
03-03-2008, 02:56 PM
people want power without responsibility

Peegee
03-03-2008, 03:02 PM
people want power without responsibility

Replace power with money = me.

Aerith's Knight
03-03-2008, 03:06 PM
power is illusive.

People with power work so hard just to keep it, that they dont enjoy it at all.

same with money

Trying to obtain huge amounts of money, you either have to work so much that you dont have the time to spend it, or not spend it at all.

thats why i embrace mediocrity.. well maybe an rich mediocrity ^^ physics pays well.

rubah
03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
1) Don't talk about Fight Club
2) don't talk about fight club
???

I'd say, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

The Ceej
03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Everyone lies.

You stole one of my two rules. The other is that no one likes to be lied to. That kind of makes us all hypocrites.

scrumpleberry
03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Everyone is... nope, not coming up with anything.

You'll always find exceptions.

True true. I thought of a few, but then thought "but what if...nah, that wouldn't work."

We have to also remember those with masochistic streaks.

Christmas
09-23-2023, 07:03 AM
Can be me or cannot be me. :bigsmile: