PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Sequels

Heath
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Lately I've been playing a lot of Perfect Dark (N64) which has quickly become one of my favourite games and had the chance for a quick go on Perfect Dark Zero while at a friend's house the other day. While I'm not sure I played enough to really know if it was that disappointing (only played two levels on co-op), it was - at least - a bit of a let down for a first go.

Anyway, I'm sure we've all played a decent first game and had a sequel disappoint us, so which ones stand out for you as being particularly disappointing?

Araciel
03-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Tetris 2

KoShiatar
03-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Tetris 2 sucked pretty hard.
However, lately I'm playing Breath of Fire III. It's not really what I'd call disappointing, but I definitely expected better. It has to be said that the English translation ignored the existence of full stops and other nice punctuation marks and worsened the game more than it deserved. :(

Captain Maxx Power
03-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Deus Ex 2 by a long, long, long, long, long, LONG margin.

Breine
03-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Alundra 2 is the worst sequel ever! The first Alundra was such a good game, and then they went and ruined it with horrible 3D graphics, a stupid story and some terrible voiceover acting.. ugh!

Dreddz
03-03-2008, 05:02 PM

Same but maybe deduct a long.

Actraiser II is another very disappointing title. Most disappointing sequels are still ok games but just couldnt match up to the original. Actraiser II on the other hand genuinly sucked alot. Maybe one of the most horrible games on the SNES. Strange seeing as it was still developed by Quintet.

Momiji
03-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Alundra 2 is the worst sequel ever! The first Alundra was such a good game, and then they went and ruined it with horrible 3D graphics, a stupid story and some terrible voiceover acting.. ugh!

I guess the joke's on me then. I played Alundra 2 a long time ago (like 7 years ago) and hated it, but I had never played the original, and I really don't intend to.

Roogle
03-03-2008, 05:07 PM
However, lately I'm playing Breath of Fire III. It's not really what I'd call disappointing, but I definitely expected better. It has to be said that the English translation ignored the existence of full stops and other nice punctuation marks and worsened the game more than it deserved. :(

I have always felt that Breath of Fire II had a worse translation than Breath of Fire III.

I think I was slightly disappointed by Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria as a successor to Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Since Valkyrie Profile 2 is a prequel and a sequel at the same time, in terms of storyline, it presents its ending in a confusing set of events by throwing in alternate dimensions and time travel.

Dreddz
03-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Alundra 2 was still a good game if you could get past the controls and the cat with a key in its back.

Roto13
03-03-2008, 05:11 PM
For me, the absolute most disappointing sequel of all time is Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. The first game, Sands of Time, was a work of art and deserving of the Game of the Year awards it got. For Warrior Within, they decided to replace the cool Arabian/rock soundtrack with death metal, they gave the the sand creatures blood to make it more violent, they took away the female characters' clothes, they made the female enemies give off weird sexual grunts and one-liners, filled it to the brim with backtracking to increase the length, and didn't do any play testing at all. It was like the game developers wanted to piss in the faces of all of the fans of the first game.

Luckily, they fixed most of that stuff for the last game in the trilogy. But I can honestly say that the main reason I haven't replayed the whole trilogy in such a long time is because of the second game.

Nifleheim7
03-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Devil May Cry 2 and Gran Turismo 2 are the first to come to mind.

I know lots of people who love GT2,but to me it felt that it didn't improve anything from the original.Instead i think the physics were much better in the first title (the cars in GT2 felt that they were moving on air).GT was a landmark for racing games and i was expecting maybe a bit too much for it's sequel.
I don't remember much about DMC2 (thankfully),only that i was very bored when i was playing it,which was the complete opposite feeling of playing the original.

Tavrobel
03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
FFX-2. Where FFX was quality work with its plot, game balance and system mechanics, FFX-2 decided to screw around with it and make it suck. The battle system was less than revolutionary, and the plot just made a bunch of gaping holes in what could conceivably be a well-crafted world.

Shoeberto
03-03-2008, 05:47 PM
I really enjoyed Alundra 2. Just sayin'.

Yamaneko
03-03-2008, 05:49 PM
It wasn't that bad.

NeoCracker
03-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Both BoF II and III were great games. :mad2:

Though Lufia: The Legend Returns and Ruins of lore were a couple of the most disappointing sequels ever. :(

Captain Maxx Power
03-03-2008, 06:15 PM
It wasn't that bad.

No really, it was. Crap interface, crap gameplay, crummy story, and it somehow looked WORSE than it's predecessor.

I think I was slightly disappointed by Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria as a successor to Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Since Valkyrie Profile 2 is a prequel and a sequel at the same time, in terms of storyline, it presents its ending in a confusing set of events by throwing in alternate dimensions and time travel.

It's my firm belief that TriAce is steadily becoming collectively more insane. If you track their games from their inception there's been a slow decline into predictable/unnecessary/bizarre storylines. I imagine Star Ocean 4 will involve you fighting against mutated bunnies for ninety hours on an undeveloped planet which later turns out to be the main character's mum.

Tavrobel
03-03-2008, 06:18 PM
I imagine Star Ocean 4 will involve you fighting against mutated bunnies for ninety hours.

That sounds really awesome, actually.

Nifleheim7
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
FFX-2. Where FFX was quality work with its plot, game balance and system mechanics, FFX-2 decided to screw around with it and make it suck. The battle system was less than revolutionary, and the plot just made a bunch of gaping holes in what could conceivably be a well-crafted world.

I can't believe i forgot this one!:eek:
Maybe my subconcious finally came to terms with it,and erased it's existence(or at least it's connection with FFX).

LunarWeaver
03-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Devil May Cry 2 disappointed me. And Alundra 2 was pretty awful! I regret buying that big time. It was ... unplayable.

Silent Hill 4 did not make me happy.

Breine
03-03-2008, 08:06 PM

Wow, really? Have you ever played the original then?

Madame Adequate
03-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Final Fantasy IX. Nestled in among the giant win of VII, VIII, and X, is a game that is merely extremely good, and certainly not to my personal taste.

FF XII is much worse, because I don't even class that as particularly GOOD. Whereas with IX it's more my own tastes, with XII I do actually think it falls short in many, many ways.

Suikoden IV. I don't even know where to start, but fortunately they made up for it with SV, because that's nearly as good as II was.

I was hugely disappointed by Deus Ex: IW but I think it's a pretty good game. It's just that when you follow on from DX you've more than a little pedigree to live up to.

And every Sonic game after S&K. Which breaks my heart :(

scrumpleberry
03-03-2008, 09:40 PM

Wow, really? Have you ever played the original then?

I played both and loved them both. That said, my standards weren't incredibly high at the time.

p.s. the cat with a key in it's back annoyed me, but I also thought it was REALLY, REALLY CUTE.

Quindiana Jones
03-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Final Fantasy IX. Nestled in among the giant win of VII, VIII, and X, is a game that is merely extremely good, and certainly not to my personal taste.

FF XII is much worse, because I don't even class that as particularly GOOD. Whereas with IX it's more my own tastes, with XII I do actually think it falls short in many, many ways.

These points have rendered the rest of what you said invalid. Please try again.

Dreddz
03-04-2008, 12:26 AM

Oh come on, how can Sonic Adventure of disappointed?

Sarc the Swordsman
03-04-2008, 01:40 AM
I was really disappointed by Shadow Hearts 3. I loved the first two games and they remain two of my favourite RPG's ever, yet the third game was just...horrible.

Nominus Experse
03-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Devil May Cry 2 was simply terrible.
FFX-2 (The gameplay was fun, but jesus christ! The story was an abomination!)
Silent Hill 4 really could have been better.

Madame Adequate
03-04-2008, 02:01 AM

Oh come on, how can Sonic Adventure of disappointed?

It wasn't bad but it wasn't exactly Sonic 3 either.

Harle: I will accept that VIII is a matter of taste, but anyone who dislikes FFX is just a plain old fashioned bad person.

Crossblades
03-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Breath of Fire III. I dont what it was about that game, but I just couldn't enjoy it just as much as Breath of Fire II and IV (II and IV are my favorites btw :P ) But I never actually finished it, so eventually I'm gonna give it a second chance. Who knows, maybe I'll end up liking it =)

Sarc the Swordsman
03-04-2008, 03:19 AM
Oh, I forgot about FFX-2. It was very disappointing and mostly rendered FFX pointless. (Yuna and Rikku becoming...uh...well it went from a serious story to a Charlies Angel rip off.)

Heath
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I was really disappointed by Shadow Hearts 3. I loved the first two games and they remain two of my favourite RPG's ever, yet the third game was just...horrible.

I've yet to play the third game, so perhaps I've not been missing much.

Roogle
03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
It's my firm belief that TriAce is steadily becoming collectively more insane. If you track their games from their inception there's been a slow decline into predictable/unnecessary/bizarre storylines. I imagine Star Ocean 4 will involve you fighting against mutated bunnies for ninety hours on an undeveloped planet which later turns out to be the main character's mum.

triAce has never had games with extraordinarily strong stories. I think that it is unfortunate that the games are constantly trying to delve into deep, philosophical issues, but lose focus due to plot holes and bad character development. Star Ocean 3 had a relatively weak storyline and was a disappointing sequel to me, too —

Captain Maxx Power, I have watched your posts and you and I have a lot of little things in common. It's a little eerie...

Skyblade
03-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Every game in the Civilization series after Civ II.

Master of Orion III.

Germ Hamee
03-05-2008, 01:22 AM
Super Mario Sunshine as a successor to Mario 64. What the hell was THAT?! I was almost offended at how bad it was.

And I have to just say that the most unexpectedly GOOD sequel for me was FFX-2, contrary to popular opinion. It looked so bad it was scary, and I always thought FFX was a generally forgettable game in the first place. I had no intention of playing it, but it was forced upon me and I'm pretty grateful for that. I think I even liked it better than FFX. The story was nothing amazing, and sometimes the dialogue made me cringe. But it was FUN.

Montoya
03-05-2008, 08:20 AM
To some extent, Wind Waker. For the longest time I was thinking, "This is going to get good." Then it ended. I was like, "WTF?" The boss fight didn't feel like a boss fight. The dungeons didn't feel like dungeons. I had no problem with the graphics, it just felt like the least fulfilling Zelda title I've played.

Markus. D
03-05-2008, 05:24 PM

<3 aww I liked that whole bizarro thing!

I'd have to say Drakengard 2 (By no means do I hate it)... but in terms of living up to the psychotic events of Drakengard, it was just way to light hearted :3

Pete for President
03-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I'd say Tenchu 3 was quite dissapointing.

nozkits
03-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Anything Dynasty Warriors.