PDA

View Full Version : The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

Shlup
03-04-2008, 02:55 AM
There have been rumors of a third installment of Disney's The Little Mermaid for awhile now, and I had heard both that it would be a prequel and that it would feature her mother. I also heard the project was put on permanent hiatus, but, while browsing Amazon I found this (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Mermaid-Ariels-Beginning/dp/B000XUOIQO/ref=sr_1_51?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1204599213&sr=1-51).

And now I am full of glee.

Discuss.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AXE7IhfdL._SS500_.jpg

Big D
03-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Wonder if she'll be born, or hatch from an egg...

edczxcvbnm
03-04-2008, 05:44 AM
The movie sounds like painful labor XD

Avarice-ness
03-04-2008, 05:53 AM
The movie sounds like painful labor XD

Nah, Watching the cinderella movies with my neices were painful labor. I welcome anything little mermaid with open and loving arms!

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid:_Ariel%27s_Beginning)

Wait, Eric's in this? Is that possible, I thought she had never seem him before the original little mermaid.

Shlup
03-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Well, they live near each other so it's reasonable that they cross paths without her seeing him.

Also, the Cinderella movies were good, dammit. The Little Mermaid II was horrid though.

Rinoabella
03-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Ariel looks weird in that artwork! Yes, I'd like to see them explain in detail how Ariel came to exist O_o Maybe she hatches from a shell!

Avarice-ness
03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Ariel looks weird in that artwork! Yes, I'd like to see them explain in detail how Ariel came to exist O_o Maybe she hatches from a shell!

It says the movies based a year before the original little mermaid takes place, but in the little trailer it shows king triton when he's got his brown/red hair, so I'm assuming there's going to be flashbacks or something.

Or he just got really old really fast.

blackmage_nuke
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I hope Flounder gets to sing for once

Breine
03-04-2008, 10:15 AM
The direct to video/DVD sequels that Disney has made a lot of these last couple of years are really bad, and make the good original movies look bad as well imo. They should just stop making all these cash-ins already, and concentrate on the movies that actually make it to the cinemas (like e.g. "The Princess and the Frog", which I'm actually looking forward to seeing).

Avarice-ness
03-04-2008, 10:27 AM
The direct to video/DVD sequels that Disney has made a lot of these last couple of years are really bad, and make the good original movies look bad as well imo. They should just stop making all these cash-ins already, and concentrate on the movies that actually make it to the cinemas (like e.g. "The Princess and the Frog", which I'm actually looking forward to seeing).

I'm not looking forward to that.

I'm actually looking forward to Rapunzel. Disney 3D~

http://gallery.awn.com/data/521/Rapunzel-Unbraided.jpg

For some reason I think "The Princess and the Frog" will just bring issues. It's aimed at african americans and for the past two years there have been name changes on some of the characters and even title changes because they've offended people and ended up getting called racist.
Plot really doesn't appeal to me either.

"A fairy tale centered on a young girl named Princess Tiana who lives in New Orleans' French Quarter during the Jazz Age."

Where'd my old fairy tales go, the one's I could read in a story book!
Oh well, I get that with Rapunzel. =D

Marshall Banana
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
It doesn't look, sound, or feel like The Little Mermaid to me. =(

Disney lost its magic at some point after it released The Lion King.

Avarice-ness
03-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Agree'd.

For some reason since then, Disney's been more focus'd on either live action movies or just straight to DVD movies. Granted kids like my neice's who are 3 and 9 will love the DVD released, but it really kills the die hard fans who knew what a GREAT disney movie was.

Vyk
03-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I thought they just ran out of ideas. Started scraping the bottom of the barrel. Then got into that pissing contest with Pixar

Avarice-ness
03-04-2008, 12:11 PM
I thought they just ran out of ideas. Started scraping the bottom of the barrel. Then got into that pissing contest with Pixar

Nah, It's like the fact that Disney will be putting out the Rapunzel movie. There are seriously a nice amount of untouched fairy tales but apparently not the money to make them or something.
Beauty and the Beast was the last "fairy-tale" disney movie and it came out in 1991. Ironically, all the fairy-tale movies are the first to get sequels and prequels, so why don't you just make more NEW fairy-tale movies? It makes no sense to me. =[

Breine
03-04-2008, 02:42 PM

I'm not looking forward to that.

I'm actually looking forward to Rapunzel. Disney 3D~

http://gallery.awn.com/data/521/Rapunzel-Unbraided.jpg

For some reason I think "The Princess and the Frog" will just bring issues. It's aimed at african americans and for the past two years there have been name changes on some of the characters and even title changes because they've offended people and ended up getting called racist.
Plot really doesn't appeal to me either.

"A fairy tale centered on a young girl named Princess Tiana who lives in New Orleans' French Quarter during the Jazz Age."

Where'd my old fairy tales go, the one's I could read in a story book!
Oh well, I get that with Rapunzel. =D

I see it in a completely different way - I think it's cool that they finally have a black person as the lead in a movie, and that it's set in New Orleans during the Jazz Age only gives it that much more of an edge compared to a lot of the other Disney movies. Also, just that's it's a return to 2D animation really appeals to me.

This Rapunzel movie also looks promising, though.

Roto13
03-04-2008, 05:15 PM

I think it was sometime after Pocahontas, personally.

I didn't realize there was a second Little Mermaid movie. xP

Polaris
03-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Uhhhh :bigsmile: I think I'll buy that to my little sis :D From what I've seen with the Lion king the three films were awsome and Little Mermaid 2 as well so can't really wait to also see the 3rd one :)

Shauna
03-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Also, the Cinderella movies were good, dammit. The Little Mermaid II was horrid though.

Not Cinderella II. No, that movie cannot be classed as "good". :( Cinderella 3 was alright though. I feel lame saying that, because I've actually seen the movie. =[
I agree with your second point, though - The Little Mermaid II sucked so much.

I will probably find a way to see this when it comes out. I always find a way. :cool:

Big D
03-04-2008, 09:19 PM
I never saw the original Little Mermaid until last year, at my friend's 20th birthday party:p So the straight-to-video sequel has mercifully avoided my notice. Except for The Lion King 2, I haven't seen any modern Disney sequels, and certainly none of the straight-to-video kind.

Vyk
03-04-2008, 09:22 PM
The Little Mermaid had a series, that was a prequal. I actually kinda liked that show. Much like the Aladdin series. Quality shorts. And I really enjoyed the sequals to The Lion King. And for some reason I remember enjoying the sequal to The Little Mermaid. I stopped paying attention to all that jazz after a while though. I wasn't a big fan of the original Cinderella. So I couldn't be bothered with sequals to that. They need to do something like The Black Cauldron again :[ Quality fantasy/fairy-tale with NO SINGING

scrumpleberry
03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Down with sequels D:

Sorry, but the originals are awesome, and then the sequels just lose it all.

I didn't realize there was a second Little Mermaid movie. xP

You didn't miss out on anything, don't worry.

Germ Hamee
03-05-2008, 01:32 AM
There was a time when the word Disney was synonymous with the word magic for me. Since they switched to 3D, it seems like they've been more concerned about making family comedies than enchanting children. That disappoints me, because growing up with really good Disney movies was an integral part of my childhood, and it makes me sad to think of how many kids are missing out on that now. I really hope this Rapunzel movie brings them back to their roots.

As far as the sequels go, The Lion King II was so atrociously terrible that I refuse to touch another Disney sequel again. Clouding out a good movie with something so bad and calling it CANON (in the Disney universe) does nothing but ruin the originals for me. I also disapprove of how they've been re-releasing classics and adding new songs that are as equally terrible as their sequels.

Dolentrean
03-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Once upon a time Disney was good, they made good movies, then they stoped doing that... the end.

Miriel
03-05-2008, 09:30 AM
There was a time when the word Disney was synonymous with the word magic for me. Since they switched to 3D, it seems like they've been more concerned about making family comedies than enchanting children. That disappoints me, because growing up with really good Disney movies was an integral part of my childhood, and it makes me sad to think of how many kids are missing out on that now. I really hope this Rapunzel movie brings them back to their roots.

Um, did you watch Enchanted? I'm 21 and I was totally and completely captivated by that film. And I took my two little cousins (10 and 7 years old) to watch it and they thought it was magical.

The 80s and 90s was an amazing time for Disney, but just cause a lot of us have grown out of the whole Disney thing, doesn't mean that it still doesn't have that same magical quality for children today.

PeneloRatsbane
03-05-2008, 02:12 PM
enchanted was brilliant, best thing to come from disney since the original potc.
But all these 3d ones do suck a bit, i mean they're ok but they just don't have the right style.
Pocahontas 2 is an abomination against mankind, grrrrrrrrrrr i hated that with a passion

Marshall Banana
03-05-2008, 04:20 PM
It doesn't seem like any of us have grown out of Disney; there is just a clear difference in quality between, say, Chicken Little and Cinderella. I really like Chicken Little, though.

Germ Hamee
03-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Um, did you watch Enchanted? I'm 21 and I was totally and completely captivated by that film. And I took my two little cousins (10 and 7 years old) to watch it and they thought it was magical.

The 80s and 90s was an amazing time for Disney, but just cause a lot of us have grown out of the whole Disney thing, doesn't mean that it still doesn't have that same magical quality for children today.

Enchanted was something I was really looking forward to until I saw the trailers, which crushed my hopes and made it look like another silly Disney comedy. So I never took the time to watch it. But I'll definitely give it a shot if you say it brings back that old "Disney magic" I feel is missing from their recent films.

Breine
03-05-2008, 05:57 PM

You're probably right. We're all a bunch of old and nostalgic farts in a sense. Almost any movie you thought was good/magical as a kid still is so when you're an adult.. Nostalgia is a tricky little bastard that makes us appreciate things even more than they probably deserve.

PeneloRatsbane
03-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Enchanted was really great, it had that old disney feel to it, the animation was really pretty and classic looking and even when it went to the reality part it was almost like it was animated. i also liked the references to the classic movies like cinderella. i love the bit where they dance.

Miriel
03-05-2008, 07:06 PM
It doesn't seem like any of us have grown out of Disney; there is just a clear difference in quality between, say, Chicken Little and Cinderella. I really like Chicken Little, though.

I'm 100% sure that there's a good chunk of people on EoFF who have grown out of Disney.

I'm also 100% sure that Disney has produced crap movies all throughout its long history. This isn't something new.

I also think that one of Disney's more recent films, Lilo and Stitch is 10 times better than Cinderella. Cinderella is a classic, but it ain't all that great.

Rianoa
03-05-2008, 07:32 PM
god disney milk all the films they make till theres nothing left lion king 1,2,3 and 101 dalmations ,1,2 in cartoon and in real life insead of makeing sequals they should make sum new films

Marshall Banana
03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I was referring only to people who posted in this thread and Disney's big-time animated films. Yeah - there are hundreds of movies attributed to Disney that aren't very good and several movies that are very good - but many of Disney's major animated films (prior to Pocahontas or whichever) are like gems. Disney doesn't make gems anymore, I think; that's why I say Disney lost its touch. =O

Put 'em together and what have you got? Bippity! Boppity! Boo! <3<3

LunarWeaver
03-05-2008, 08:15 PM

Mulan! ;_;

I'll probably see this against my better judgment. I'm sure it will ruin things, though.

And Enchanted was pretty awesome. Plus it had Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, and Judy Kuhn cameos :jess:! I must admit the beginning really made me long for that 2-D goodness of my younger days. I'm excited for The Princess and the Frog to see what they do. I want more than just direct-to-video efforts~

Edit: Oh, and I think audiences have a lot to do with Disney's lack of magic pow. The stuff I grew up with became less and less profitable as time went on, replaced with 10 3-D movies a year and live action pop fluff like Hannah Montanna and Lizzie McGuire. It's probly hard to justify spending tons of money and imaginative work on an animated musical when kiddles prefer to see generic crap.

Shlup
03-06-2008, 02:58 AM
I thought Mulan was entirely Disney-rific.

rubah
03-06-2008, 05:34 PM
They should do another where they have the picture of the book as though they're reading us a book (like in snow white or sleeping beauty)

Breine
03-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I thought Mulan was entirely Disney-rific.

For me they lost the magic after Mulan. I'm very optimistic, though, and think (hope) they'll get it back with some of the upcoming movies.

Kossage
03-06-2008, 10:41 PM
As for the so-called Disney Renaissance, my personal view is that it lasted all the way from The Little Mermaid to Fantasia 2000 (although most prefer talking about the Fab Four: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King). All of the films of that era are wonderful and nothing short of magnificent. So yes, post-TLK films such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame or Tarzan are very good too. And many of the post-Fantasia 2000 films have been fine as well: I mean, think of films like The Emperor's New Groove, Lilo & Stitch or Treasure Planet, all of which can stand proudly next to Disney's greatest animated classics.

About TLM3, go to the official website and check out the sneak peek (http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/animatedfilms/littlemermaid3/#) that has recently appeared there if you haven't done that already. We finally get to see Ariel's mom after all these years! There are a lot of other surprises in store in the sneak peek as well, but you'll have to go and see it yourself. ;)

Although I didn't expect much from this film, the sneak peek got me more interested in some of the plot issues, particularly because it has some interesting foreshadowing stuff. Although the sneak peek answers some of the questions I've had about the plot of TLM3, there are still some things that need an answer. I'll check this film out sooner or later. I don't know whether this film will become as nice as films like Mulan 2 or Cinderella 3 (both were rather nice in many ways), but I'm sure it'll be better than the dreadful Cinderella 2 or Atlantis: Milo's Return. I hope many of the secrets are revealed in TLM3, but we'll have to wait and see. I'll try to keep my expectations low, but I hope Disney will surprise me.

As for TLM2, although it wasn't as good as the original, it wasn't as bad as people say it is. Sure, some of the animation in it looks stiff, some of the characters and the plot kind of rehash old ideas, but there are some nice narrative bits and some nice character moments as well as a couple of nice songs (particularly "For a Moment" which is beautiful). :)

P.S. Although this goes a bit off topic, I just can't help but reply to the comments about Enchanted: it was surprisingly good and very touching despite its parodic aspects. To me it was more of a tribute to Disney than an actual parody, though, and I adored Amy Adams's performance as well as maestro Alan Menken's beautiful and catchy songs. ^^

Marshall Banana
03-06-2008, 10:48 PM
They should do another where they have the picture of the book as though they're reading us a book (like in snow white or sleeping beauty)
I love that! =O

I also like the opening of Beauty and the Beast.

Tallulah
03-06-2008, 10:49 PM

QFT. :p

The Lion King is considered by many of my friends, as well, to be the last great Disney film. After then, aside from most of the Pixar collaborations, it just sorta went downhill. :(

KentaRawr!
03-06-2008, 11:36 PM
The Lion King was easily their best movie. Totally moving. :p And the game for the SNES was cool, too.

I sure hope this movie doesn't end up sucking.

Strawberry_Mew
03-07-2008, 12:05 AM
I am really looking forward to this <3 When I saw the preview on the 3rd Cinderalla Movie I wuz Excited but bummed at the same time cuz the preview didn't really have anything on it. Thanks for the info P.Plum <3