PDA

View Full Version : Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV

Sephex
03-04-2008, 03:02 AM
New album. Came out online yesterday. 36 instrumental tracks. No track titles. Will come out in stores April 8th. Go download nine tracks for free at: Ghosts - Splash (http://ghosts.nin.com/) or pay $5 for the whole thing. Speical packages cost more. For example, if you pay Trent $300, he will give you a signed copy of one of 2,500 limited edition copies.

My take: Very different and very weird. But good. It is already growing on me. If this wasn't NIN, I would still like it. For those of you NIN fans bitching a moaning for something different: Well, this is it. Close-minded need not apply.

Momiji
03-04-2008, 03:07 AM
Wow, this is sudden.

I might check it out eventually.

Sephex
03-04-2008, 03:12 AM
Yeah, no **** this came out of nowhere. Trent Reznor himself said he quietly released it with no press. The man has balls. I am glad I got it pretty much right away.

Momiji
03-04-2008, 03:15 AM
Well, he doesn't exactly attract the press as much now that he isn't on a record label anymore, right?

I'm sure he knows what he's doing. He seems to be incredibly smart after all.

Moon Rabbits
03-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Not really. He's not the first to do that. Besides, $300 dollars for an autograph? Bulllll. I'd agree that he has balls if maybe he released it solely online, no fee, and no press.

Momiji
03-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Not really. He's not the first to do that. Besides, $300 dollars for an autograph? Bulllll. I'd agree that he has balls if maybe he released it solely online, no fee, and no press.

I never said he was the first, I just said he knows what he's doing. :sweat:

Nominus Experse
03-04-2008, 03:19 AM
I'll download this to see if Trent has redeemed himself from the failure that is With Teeth and Year Zero.

Sephex
03-04-2008, 03:34 AM

Well, there are only 2,500 of that verision. That's obviously for insane collectors that are willing to drop that kind of money. I'd say that's a reasonable price. And it's not just for the autograph. It comes with other stuff, too.

And he does have balls becuase Radiohead (I like them, just so you know, so I am not dissing them here) promoted the fact that they released their album online. NIN did not at all. It literally came out of nowhere (although there were a couple of vauge hints a couple of weeks ago).

I'll download this to see if Trent has redeemed himself from the failure that is With Teeth and Year Zero.

If I recall from the Year Zero thread, you seem to be madly in love with early NIN/Pretty Hate Machine type stuff, so this will probably be WAY too out there for you. Not saying that's a bad thing, just trying to warn you.

Nifleheim7
03-04-2008, 06:27 PM
For me Reznor simply lost it after the downward spiral...Strange,it feels like yesterday when this was one of my favourite bands.I stoped carring around 1999-2000.

Close-minded need not apply.

Thanks for the heads up!;)

Sephex
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
No Problem! :)

Which reminds me, I find it strage that most people formerly liked Nine Inch Nails don't like them anymore because:

A) They want every album released to sound exactly like Pretty Hate Machine.

B) They are bitter that The Fragile wasn't The Downward Spiral part II.

Not taking cheap shots at anyone in this thread, it's just something I noticed, and I don't get it. If NIN still sounded like Pretty Hate Machine to this day, I don't think many people would be interested anymore. Hell, most music critcs would say that the most sucessful peroid for NIN was 94-97. Sure, they don't have the mainstream exposure that they did during 94-97 anymore, but there are still many, many fans that enjoy NIN (example: The servers to download the new album crashed because there were much more people downloading it than expected).

I feel that if The Fragile was just another Downward Spiral, the very same people who lost interest because they viewed The Fragile as too big of a departure from how they thought NIN should sound would be disappointed that they waited five years to hear the same record released in 1994.

I mean, I can understand why people think this way, but I just don't get it. Every band is going to have their style, sure...but I rather hear variety in between each record unlike [insert most of today's music here].

Momiji
03-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Hell, most music critcs would say that the most sucessful peroid for NIN was 94-97. Sure, they don't have the mainstream exposure that they did during 94-97 anymore, but there are still many, many fans that enjoy NIN (example: The servers to download the new album crashed because there were much more people downloading it than expected).

I think it was more popular then because NIN's musical genre was fairly new back then. Now there are a bunch of copycats and wannabes that want to be as good, so obviously Reznor's style had to change so he remained more unique. Genius, IMO.

Sephex
03-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Well, the genre wasn't new, but Trent's take on it was. Still, I see your point.

Nominus Experse
03-05-2008, 02:10 AM
I think most people's irritations with where Trent has taken NIN lies not in the fact that its not another Pretty Hate Machine or Downward Spiral - I hope, anway - but rather that they are upset with where exactly it went. It's somewhere new, and obviously this has to take place (otherwise the band sounds like a broken record that get re-hashed from time to time - which is dull to the highest degree), but when it ends up in veins of a particular musical genre that earlier fans do not quite like - if at all - it causes this unrest, I believe.

At least, that is how I perceive it.

The same thing has happened with quite a few bands that I like (Skinny Puppy, Marilyn Manson, Flogging Molly, Modest Mouse, Icon of Coil, etc...). It's usually not that they simply and suddenly suck now - in terms of musical ability and style - but simply that they have begun traveling along a path that I no longer care for.

I will full heartedly agree with the observation that some "fans" simply want the re-hash, nothing more, which is sad.

Sephex
03-05-2008, 02:27 AM
I think most people's irritations with where Trent has taken NIN lies not in the fact that its not another Pretty Hate Machine or Downward Spiral - I hope, anway - but rather that they are upset with where exactly it went. It's somewhere new, and obviously this has to take place (otherwise the band sounds like a broken record that get re-hashed from time to time - which is dull to the highest degree), but when it ends up in veins of a particular musical genre that earlier fans do not quite like - if at all - it causes this unrest, I believe.

At least, that is how I perceive it.

The same thing has happened with quite a few bands that I like (Skinny Puppy, Marilyn Manson, Flogging Molly, Modest Mouse, Icon of Coil, etc...). It's usually not that they simply and suddenly suck now - in terms of musical ability and style - but simply that they have begun traveling along a path that I no longer care for.

I will full heartedly agree with the observation that some "fans" simply want the re-hash, nothing more, which is sad.

Well, I am glad I am not the only one that feels that way. Nine Inch Nails is my favorite band, but I can't stand talking to most other fans on the internet.

Old Manus
03-05-2008, 09:28 PM
I actually prefer the Fragile to TDS

downloading now btw