PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering......

Cloud88
03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
How do you personally pronounce these names???

Tidus-----------T-eye-dus
Seifer-----------Seff-er
Raijin-----------Rah-jhin
Fujin-----------Few-jhin
Balthier--------Bahl-thee-air

and a few others I can't think of.
Its just I've heard other people say Seifer as Safe-er and on the Beyond Final Fantasy disc you get with FFX, Tidus' voice actor says Tee-dus. So, what do you guys say? :plotting:

blackmage_nuke
03-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Tide us (I know its wrong but i dont care)
Scyther (like the pokemon)
Rage in or ray gin
Fuu gin
I pronounce Balthier same as they do in the game

Comet
03-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Tai Dus
Seefer
Ray Jin
Few Jin
Quiz Tis (I heard it's supposed to be Keystis)

Avarice-ness
03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Tie-dus. (I don't play kingdom hearts games, so Tee-dus means nothing to me.)
Sigh-fer
Rye-Jin
Foo-jin
Bal-thee-air

Takara
03-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Tie-dus. (I don't play kingdom hearts games, so Tee-dus means nothing to me.)
Sigh-fer
Rye-Jin
Foo-jin
Bal-thee-air

*nods*

Fynn
03-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Tee-dus
Sigh-furr
Rye-jin
Foo-jin
Bal-thee-air (like in the game)

Here's some others that I've seen confused:
Tifa - Tee-fah,
Aeri - Ay-ris
Lucrecia - Loo-cre-tzee-ah,
Refia - Reh-fee-ah,
Rydia - Rye-dee-ah,
Krile - Krill-eh,
Celes - Cell-ess,
Quistis - Quiss-tiss,
Zidane - Zid-ayne.

hhr1dluv
03-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Tidus - T-eye-dus (in KH I, it's pronounced Tee-dus. But in KHII, it's pronounced this way).
Seifer - SIGH-fer
Raijin - R-eye-jin
Fujin - Foo-jin
Balthier - (like in the game) Ball-theer
Tifa - Tee-fuh
Aeris/th- heiress
Lucrecia- Loo-crech-ee-uh
Rydia - Rid-ee-uh
Celes- Suh-less
Quistis- Key-stis (I've heard that this is closer to the correct pronunciation of the name than Quiss-tis, because the name is French in origin...I think).
Zidane- Zi-don

Araciel
03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
pretty boy
jerk
dumbass
eyepatch
balls pirate

:)

Mercen-X
03-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Seifer-----------Seff-er
Fujin-----------Few-jhin

I used to pronounce Tidus as (tight-us) which is too close to a derogatory term. Now it's just tee-dus.
I used to prounounce Seifer as safer, but when I learned it sounded more like sy-fah, I started calling him Cipher.
I've always called Raijin and Fujin (ry-jinn) and (foo-jinn).
I call Balthier (ball-th'ear).
Personally, I disapprove of the DoC pronunciation of Lucrecia being (loo-cret-see-ah).

I also disapprove of the pronunciation of Brother. lol.

T-eye-dus (in KHII, it's pronounced this way).
Rydia - Rid-ee-uh
Quistis- Key-stis (I've heard that this is closer to the correct pronunciation of the name than Quiss-tis, because the name is French in origin...I think).
Zidane- Zi-don
Where in II do you hear the name Tidus?
I used to call Rydia (rid-ee-ah), but now I use ree-jah.
I typically pronounce Quistis as kwiss-tus but that keys-tus sounds intriguing.

Elly
03-05-2008, 11:58 PM
i use the Japanese pronunciation rules identical to White Wizard's use except for Zidane which i pronounce more closely as "Zee-dahn"... it always irked me when ppl would say Tie-dus, Tif-uh, or Yuh-fee, those names are Japanese use the right pronunciation rules, of course Quistis isn't a Japanese name so it is pronounced Quiss-tiss same for Seifer pronounced identical to Cypher both names are European in origan so they are to be pronounced with European pronunciation rules, Seifer using German Pronunciation rules and Quistis using English...

basic japanese pronunciation of vowel sounds are as follows:
a -ah
i - ee
u - somewhere between ooh & uh
e - eh
o -oh

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-06-2008, 01:05 AM
i use the Japanese pronunciation rules identical to White Wizard's use except for Zidane which i pronounce more closely as "Zee-dahn"... it always irked me when ppl would say Tie-dus, Tif-uh, or Yuh-fee, those names are Japanese use the right pronunciation rules, of course Quistis isn't a Japanese name so it is pronounced Quiss-tissTidus, Tifa, and Yuffie aren't real Japanese names. And the correct pronunciation of Quistis is "kis-tis."

Sarc the Swordsman
03-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Tidus-----------Tie-does
Seifer-----------Sy-fer
Raijin-----------Ray-gin
Fujin-----------Few-gin
Balthier---------Bahl-fear

Dr. Acula
03-06-2008, 03:38 AM
I usually pronounce them how I read them.
Tye-dus
Seff-er
Ray-jin
Few-jin
Bal-thee-er
Tiff-ah
Yuff-ee
Loo-cree-shah
Rye-dee-ah
Seh-less (Celes)
Kwiss-tiss
Zid-ayne
Cry-lee or sometimes Cry-el (Krile)

PeneloRatsbane
03-06-2008, 07:46 AM
loo-crays-eah
Asha (for like 5 minutes before i realised its Ash)

Forsaken Lover
03-06-2008, 07:56 AM
"Sigh-fer. Or is it See-fer? You don't say Kigh-fer Sutherland do you?" -Spoony

Elly
03-06-2008, 01:45 PM
well so far the compilation of VII has proven me right on what rules to use for Yuffie and Tifa, the trailer for X which comes on "The Spirits Within" clearly pronounces Tidus as Tee-dus unlike the american comedian Titus (Tie-tus)... sure those names may be made up but it has always been clear which pronunciation rules to use for which names as most names in the FF series are generaly Japanese, German, & English in nature... now as for Quistis what languages pronunciation rules gives you Kis-tis because that one i always thaught was English (UK) in nature, i could be wrong due to the uniqueness of that name and it could possibly be French... oh, if Tidus was pronounced Tie-dus wouldn't it be spelled Taidus...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-06-2008, 10:54 PM
as for Quistis what languages pronunciation rules gives you Kis-tisJapanese is a phonetic language. The correct pronunciation of any of these names is obvious if you just look at the Japanese spelling of them.
oh, if Tidus was pronounced Tie-dus wouldn't it be spelled Taidus...I never said Tidus was pronounced tie-dus. I only said it's not a real Japanese name.

Elly
03-07-2008, 03:30 AM
i do believe that's what i've been saying, lol, except in refernce to the romanji spellings... on the Tidus thing i was speaking generaly to those that mispronounce it, not directly to you... i try to stay general as opposed to targeting singular posts, well most of the time anyway...

hhr1dluv
03-07-2008, 03:44 AM
Originally Bespoken by hhr1dluv
T-eye-dus (in KHII, it's pronounced this way).
Rydia - Rid-ee-uh
Zidane- Zi-don
Where in II do you hear the name Tidus?

Selphie says it at the beginning of the game, when she's walking to school with Kairi.

Jessweeee♪
03-07-2008, 04:27 AM
How do you personally pronounce these names???

Seifer-----------Seff-er
Fujin-----------Few-jhin

and a few others I can't think of.
Its just I've heard other people say Seifer as Safe-er and on the Beyond Final Fantasy disc you get with FFX, Tidus' voice actor says Tee-dus. So, what do you guys say? :plotting:

Tee-dus
There was a trailer somewhere were where it was pronounced this way, it is also pronounced this way by James Arnold Taylor, his English voice actor. He talks about it some on his website. I ignore the KH pronunciations because Wakka says Tee-dus and Selphie says Tye-dus. Though I'd take Wakka's word over Selphies when it comes to Tidus's name.
Sye-fur
Ray-jin (pretty sure that's not right)
Foo-jin
Ball-thee-air (I mean they say his name in the game...It's not like the whole Teedus vs. Tyedus issue D: )

Cloud88
03-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Just the names I missed out on earlier:

Tifa - Ti-fa
Aeris/Aerith - Air-iss/Air-ith
Lucrecia - Loo-cree-shia
Refia - Re-fee-ah
Rydia - Ri-dee-ah
Krile - Kr-eye-l
Celes - Cell-es
Quistis - Quiss-tiss
Zidane - Zid-ayne (And NOT Zid-ahn, like the footballer)

Elly, please forgive my lack of understanding of Japanese pronunciation, but as I got FF VII and VIII when I was a mere 10 years old, I wasn't really sure about how to pronounce it and I stuck with the pronounciation I already had. I just seem to be stuck making really crap pronounciations with later FFs.:p [!] google_ad_section_end [/!]

And another one actually:
Chocobo - Choc-obo
I know that the games pronounce it Choke-obo but I like my way.

Elly
03-07-2008, 10:32 PM
nah i'm not really miffed about the pronunciation that much, it's all a learning thing, as long as when we learn the right way and use it right it's all good... the point though is no one likes to hear their language butchered, i'm sure no one understands that more than those in the UK, man the way we americans butcher the English language is astounding, lol... it just bugs me occasionaly because i have a thing for linguistics and phonetics, which is why i posted the phonetics of Japanese vowel equivelants earlier, sorry if i came off a bit gruff... oh yess Jess, you were right on most except the one you thaught you got wrong Rai is pronounced like the grain Rye, and Cloud the way Japanese phonetics breaks down it would be Cho-ko-bo, where most of the english va's pronounce it cho-kubbo most of the time running it together like a train-wreck, though with Wakka's accent it makes sense the way he says it...