PDA

View Full Version : Must... Resist... Hype...

Wolf Kanno
03-04-2008, 08:24 PM
So Crisis Core comes out here in a few weeks, and all my FFVII fanboy friends are wetting themselves in anticipation. I, as the only non-FFVII fan in my group of friends have a dilemma. I want to play CC especially since its been getting pretty good reviews (though I try to take them with a grain of salt cause I know fully well the media loves VII like a golden idol) but also cause it does involve a part of the VII story I'm actually interested in... The events of Nibelheim up to Cloud returning to Midgard.

My problem is the fact I'm disgusted by the rest of the plot cause its basically the plot of VII except in a less grander scale. Spiky haired protagonist with a big sword, loses mentor, finds himself, and fights uber-bishonen super SOLDIER who goes crazy after finding out he's a biological experiment... I don't mind stories that speak of history repeating itself, but this is just too close and the idea of Genesis (especially since Dirge of Cerberus makes him out to be a big deal) ruins the story of VII for me a bit. Why care about pretty boy bad ass Sepiroth when there is another uber bad ass (and shh... its a secret but he's still alive) pretty boy is here? I'm already listening to horrible fan speculation from my friends about Genesis and Sephiroth combing into one to become the ultimate bishonen bad ass! I'm left feeling that the compilation has made VII the joke of the FF series...

Granted, I'm one of the more outspoken critics of VII but its only due to the fact I feel it gets too much credit for things it never deserved. Still, I like the game and its hard for me to watch it get beaten like a dead horse.

Aerith's Knight
03-04-2008, 08:32 PM
me no care.. im getting it anyway :)

maybe a little for the new psp.. ooh shiny xD

Bolivar
03-04-2008, 10:28 PM
it's supposed to be pretty good... i think when dirge of cerberus wasn't all that, the critics pointed it out. I've seen alot of the videos, it looks like it actually does build up the story of VII rather than just ride its coatails. I agree on the Genesis part, I don't think he was originally supposed to be there and is just a way to go back and change the storyline. but it seems interesting nonetheless and alot of the scenario seems to be nostalgia done right.

Jessweeee♪
03-04-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm just totally ignoring absolutely everything I hear about it, then I'm going to get the game.

..because when you have people say "Oh, I want to play that game, IT LOOKS SO KEWL I LOVE FFVII" then you hear the reply "OMG FFVII IS SO OVERRATED I HAET" and then "OMG STOP JUMPING ON THE FFVII HATE BANDWAGON" and then "OMG STOP JUMPING ON THE FFVII LOVE BANDWAGON." Then you have someone saying something similar to what I'm saying now, and then "OMG STOP JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON BANDWAGON." After awhile the conversation becomes BANDWAGON BANDWAGON BANDWAGON and not FFVII at all, and it's enough to make me not want to play it.

(IMHO the word bandwagon should be censored to something very silly).

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
03-05-2008, 12:54 PM
very important inpur from jesswee there i think we all agree :D

i agree that the ff7 story has been warped by the compilation, although not for better or worse really, it's kept its reputation nicely. although i do agree with wolf that it's over-rated.

reviews rarely tend to alter my opinion on whether or not to buy a game, and the fact this game is getting good reviews doesn't change how much i want it. i would buy it out of blind faith anyway, just like the rest of you ;) this place is like one big happy family!

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
03-05-2008, 01:15 PM
I'll get it just like I got Dirge of Cerberus and hope I'll be less disappointed.

Most of you people are forgetting the FF7 fanboys that realise that that the compilation isn't as good as the original game. Which by the way is not overrated. Hey, it's a PSP game so don't expect anything too awesome. But hopefully it's at least as good as Advent Children and better than Dirge of Cerberus. I tend to have a pretty good instinct whether I'll like a game or not or how good it will be and from what I've seen so far it'll be better than Dirge of Cerberus that's for sure. One main reason I'm not too worried is b/c Kazushige Nojima is back at the scenario helm, so the story will be great. As for the battle and fighting and voices, eeehhh, we'll see lol. I kinda wish games didn't have voices like the good old days. I can do voices just fine!

toad626
03-09-2008, 12:41 AM
But hopefully it's at least as good as Advent Children

Wow you must have low standards in movies.:p
That aside. I won't be picking up a psp. Overpriced handheld with a bad format. UMD is a p.o.s. in my opinion. Enjoy your bad cameras and horrible controls...

Captain Maxx Power
03-09-2008, 01:48 AM
I'll probably get it, if only because it's getting such positive reviews across the board.

cloud21zidane16
03-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Im getting it, its getting a lot of good reviews and it isnt just because people love FFVII, it really looks like a lot of work has been put into it.

Cloudane
03-12-2008, 03:00 PM
To be honest from the various little snippets I've seen of it here and there, I'm considering it to be more of an FFVII remake. The nearest we're gonna get to one anyway ;)

When you think of it that way, the repeating elements don't seem so bad.

I'm looking forward to it, anyway. Goodness knows when it's due out in the UK...

Knew I had a good reason for keeping my PSP when I bought the DS. Couldn't remember what it was til now.