PDA

View Full Version : 360 crisis with Crysis

Yew-Yevon
03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Crysis, Crysis PS3 Previews | GamesRadar (http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/crysis/preview/crysis/a-20080116164640708073/g-20070209104752229059)

I guess this will seal the "Wich system is more powerful argument"

I have the PC virsion but this just makes me want a PS3 even more now.

XxSephirothxX
03-04-2008, 10:23 PM
The sentence "For technical reasons we hear an Xbox 360 version of Crysis isn’t in development." from Gamesradar.com will not solve any sort of debate whatsoever.

Bolivar
03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
The sentence "For technical reasons we hear an Xbox 360 version of Crysis isn’t in development." from Gamesradar.com will not solve any sort of debate whatsoever.

it kinda seems like it does.

Yew-Yevon
03-04-2008, 10:50 PM
A quote from Crysis Heading To PS3, But Not Xbox 360 - PlaystationHome.com (http://forum.playstationhome.com/index.php?showtopic=2166)
Sources are stating that the hit PC game Crysis is coming to the next-gen Sony PS3, but not the Microsoft Xbox 360.

It has been rumored for months now that Crysis would be making its way onto home video game consoles, more specifically on either the PS3, Xbox 360, or both.

According to Playstation World UK though, insiders have stated that Crysis is going to be an exclusive game to the PS3.

The PS3 version of Crysis will be a port of the PC version and will have extra game modes as well as extra features over the PC version.

This is not a sequel to Crysis, but more of a big upgrade over the PC version.

Reports are that there will be no Xbox 360 version of Crysis due to technical reasons, perhaps the console is not powerful enough.
PS3 Center :: The # 1 Center for Playstation 3 Gamers - Story: Crysis Heading To PS3, But Not Xbox 360 (http://www.ps3center.net//story-1578-Crysi...t-Xbox-360.html)

Roto13
03-04-2008, 10:57 PM
"Perhaps" isn't going to stop that debate. If anything, this thread is likely to turn INTO that debate.

Or PC gaming vs. console gaming.

Dreddz
03-04-2008, 11:54 PM
Crysis may of been the first game ever that I would of bought for its graphics. I doubt however that the PS3 version will look as good. If it does, maybe ill get it, maybe not. Probably not though.

On a fanboyish note, this is likely to settle the debate on which console is more powerful. Which I still dont get as I always thought it was obvious the PS3 was a more powerful system.

Vyk
03-05-2008, 02:28 AM
I think its more about capability. I thought the PS3's power was so complex it was hard to harness. That's the way I gathered it to be anyway. Like 360 is so developer friendly they can make games look better than they really should. Which is fine by me. I don't require THE BEST GRAPHICS EVER. As long as it looks good and runs smooth. Who cares; if it's fun.

Also, even with a "perhaps". This is coming from a Playstation-centric source. Not a Microsoft source or EA. Or any kind of neutral perspective. So it means little as far as credibility. It would obviously be biased. Though they're obviously just presuming anyway

Yew-Yevon
03-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Actualy if you think about it, they could port Crysis to the 360 since FarCry 2 will be coming to both 360 and PS3 and it uses the Cryengine2. Mabe its has more to do with the fact that Crisis runs on DirectX 10 (shader modle 4.0) I don't think 360 has Shader modle 4.0 capability

this quote is from Does PS3 have any DX10 features? - Xbox 360 & Xbox Forums (http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=446612)

ok, so here goes:

DX was made for PC games back in the mid 90's.
Its a table of "rules" for programmers and constructors to follow in order to games being able to run on every Pc with dx certified hardware.

Microsoft talks with the constructors and programmers, and decides: next api upgrade is gonna support X y z technology.
next, The constructors follow by making new those new tech's, with the programmers using it if they want to.

so if you read carefully what i said, DX API pushes hardware technology forward. This means that X y z effects are supported by hardware and are not required to be software emulated (like ps2, almost every effect you saw in the games are hand made and run by software, the shadows in MGS2, the rain, etc etc etc)

thats why Ps2 had a pretty powerfull vectorial cpu. Every effect could be coded in them.

if you read what i just said carefully again, you'd realize the reason for ps2 being hard and taking longer time to program is that Everything was hand made. DEv's with Talent and imagination, you know the rest...

so... consoles and a DX API are good for "pc devs".
They are lazy (better word: used to) and suits them well.
REsults come alot faster too, but the progress from 2nd gen to 4th gen games is gonna be small because most devs will be using the same hardcoded effects over and over again. like xbox games.

Ps2 games on the other hand, from 2nd gen to 4th gen, you cant tell if its the same console doing that, Because every effect and visuals depends on the Devs and their skills.

Conclusion: Ps3 and X360 are gonna make life easier to devs by having hard coded effects built in the gpu (rsx, xenos). But those effects that arent there (say, DX10 or DX11 effects) will only be possible if they are hand written, and in this the ps3 has huge advantage. it does, sorry. its about the architecture on the cpu.

but for these hand coded effects, you need flops. lots of them. CELL and Emotion Engine come to mind, and there is a reason why CELL is so similar to EE.

DX in consoles: hard coded effects in the hardware for DEvs to use, making their life easier, but lower graphics progression over time.
Good devs couldn't care less, they will built their own algorithms (the life and bread of PS2 devs) based on the cpu power they got.

RSX provides hard coded effects. Ps3 OpenGL api provides Tools that puts the hardware on the devs hands. CPU power + OpenGL API = unique visuals due to unique devs skills.
CPu power is key, not the Dx features (well, for pc devs DX is key lol ^)

Elly
03-05-2008, 11:39 PM
ha 360's in trouble anyway without that... since HD-DVD is dead soon no-one will manufacture HD Disks for the games to be pressed on, 360's gonna have to convert to BluRay or die in the water in the near future, unless Microsoft makes a division for manufacturing HD-DVDs to press their games to, and gets licensing rights set for all 3rd party game manufacturers to press their games to MS brand HD-DVDs...

when i first heard of BluRay it was obvious HD was obsolete before it even came out...

Roto13
03-05-2008, 11:56 PM
ha 360's in trouble anyway without that... since HD-DVD is dead soon no-one will manufacture HD Disks for the games to be pressed on, 360's gonna have to convert to BluRay or die in the water in the near future, unless Microsoft makes a division for manufacturing HD-DVDs to press their games to, and gets licensing rights set for all 3rd party game manufacturers to press their games to MS brand HD-DVDs...

when i first heard of BluRay it was obvious HD was obsolete before it even came out...

That's ridiculous. As long as there is a demand for HD-DVDs, someone will be more than happy to make and sell them. Xbox 360 games create that demand.

Vyk
03-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Not to mention I'd have no problem with a game being 4 DVDs long. Its not like the extra disks make it extra expensive. Its all about the development of the game regardless of how it ships. It certainly wasn't a problem back in the Playstation days

Bolivar
03-06-2008, 07:44 PM

That's ridiculous. As long as there is a demand for HD-DVDs, someone will be more than happy to make and sell them. Xbox 360 games create that demand.

I don't think the 360 was ever intended to play HD-DVD games, I'm not sure if it even could using the add-on. In any case, it's already a done deal as Microsoft is phasing out their HD-DVD players for 360.

Also, Supply and Demand looks great on paper, but it doesn't work that way in the real world. The cost of opening up a plant is very high, and considering no movie studios are going to go to them to press HD-DVDs, mostly since Wal Mart and Best Buy won't even carry them, there would be no way of balancing out marginal revenue to cost. Microsoft is in a tough spot because they're going to have to choose a format for their next console, they're already behind using DVDs now, there's really not alot of options other than Blue Ray, maybe they'll press their own HD-DVDs, but it's highly unlikely. I think they might come out with their own, some type of read only storage device.

Elly
03-06-2008, 08:16 PM
wow 360 still uses basic DVDs for their games they really are farther behind than i originaly thaught, i was under the impression that the games were pressed on HD Disks... yeah i don't care how many disks it takes to fit a game onto either but the fact still remains that HD-DVD was obsolete before it even came out... it was the impatience of the consumer not wanting to wait for the superior product to be released that drove the initial sales of HD-DVD, but now that BluRay is out and is far superior in storage space (better quality and more bonus features) there's no doubt that it will be the defacto media format for the next 10-20 years... the impatient consumers that invested in HD-DVD have in essence shot themselves in the foot on this one... i knew i was waiting to buy a 360 for some reason, guess i'll wait for the refit 360's that use BluRay to come out...

Roto13
03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
1) The Xbox 360 is a gaming console. Anything to do with movies is a secondary feature.

2) The blu-ray add on will be just that. An add on. The people who have Xboxes and HD-DVD add ons aren't left with obsolete boxes. They're left with obsolete boxes and fully functioning Xboxes.

3) For some reason I got HD-DVD confused with dual layer DVD. xP I was tired or something. That's my excuse.

4)

10-20 years...

Don't count on it.

Vivisteiner
03-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, PS3 is better. ;)

But just to add to Rotopotato's point, Kojima just said that he filled up a whole Blu-Ray Disc for MGS4. He's done it already. Soon BRDs wont be big enough.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Kojima Says Blu-Ray Disc Doesn't Have Enough Space (http://kotaku.com/362807/kojima-says-blu+ray-disc-doesnt-have-enough-space)

Bolivar
03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/417/mgs4360vc5.jpg

Vivisteiner
03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
^lmao. Actually, you'd only need 6 discs for the Xbox360 version.

Its still huge though.

Yew-Yevon
03-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Not if Kojima means what he says about Blue Ray being almost too small for all the HD content. That and the fact that MGS4 is PS3 only.

Bolivar
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
^lmao. Actually, you'd only need 6 discs for the Xbox360 version.

Its still huge though.

yes, but it's so much funnier that way... But 6 DVD's, madon, that's HUUGE... Imagine if it would take even more discs to accomodate a 360 version...

Vivisteiner
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
@Yu: It wont go to Xbox360. But each Xbox360 DVD or w/e has 8.5GB.

Multiply that by 6 and you get 51GB. Thats one more than a BRD.

@Bolivar: Why would it take even more discs?

Bolivar
03-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't know, I'm just sayin...

Bolivar
03-06-2008, 10:29 PM
It just reminds me of 10-11 years ago when psx was out, it was doing fairly well, but when the 64 came out it was kinda down, all the best games were on nintendo, not to mention all the hate that CDs were getting, especially in Nintendo ads.

And then Final Fantasy VII came out and the game hasn't been the same since... What was it, like 27 cartridges they said it would need to be put on N64?

Yew-Yevon
03-06-2008, 10:34 PM
sorry but I meant to edit my post

If the game runs at 1080p then your looking at about 2-5GBs for one medium to large map. The Killzone 2 gameplay footage from the 07 trailer took place on a map that took up to 4GBs for just the demo.

Now consider this: If Killzone 2 has (lets say) 8-15 small-medium maps in multiplayer, thats probably 1.5-3GBs for just the map alone not counting the AI and players (I'm asuming that KZ2 will have bots like KZ did). Metal gear solid 4's size may have to do with the fact that most of the graphical effects and such were hand coded, not recycled techneques like PC and Xbox games (although Crysis is in a different leage in its own). If Kojima used one of the mass marketed game engines them chances are MGS4 wouldn't be nearly as big as it is. The only problem with that is that it would be some thing we've all seen before. But Konami always made the best games on both playstation and playstation 2 (silent hill, Xenosaga, Suikoden, MGS, all come to mind). I read an EGM review for MGS3 and a coment came up about the game broke new ground on the PS2's grahpical poential.

MGS 3: Snake Eater PS2 Review Index, MGS 3: Snake Eater Playstation 2 Reviews (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3136783&sec=REVIEWS)

MGS 3: Snake Eater PS2 Review Index, MGS 3: Snake Eater Playstation 2 Reviews (http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3136615)

Coming back to the main topic, This only shows how far the PS3 could realy go and that Crysis could very well look and play just as good as it dose on PC. My biggest hope is that the Sandbox Editor can port Mods to the PS3 just like UT3 did.