PDA

View Full Version : So is there a mountain in the garden or did they sneak out after hours?

blackmage_nuke
03-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Where is the duel between Seifer and Squall in the opening scene set?

At first when i wasnt paying attention i thought maybe it was at the training centre but then i realised theres no place like that in the training center and the training center is indoors.

Avarice-ness
03-05-2008, 10:32 AM
There are mountains right outside of the Garden though. Either way, I thought that training was done in the training center, not in various places outside the Garden.
Granted, TESTING and such can take place outside i.e. getting Ifrit, but they state that they needed to "take it easy in training" or something along that.

I guess an epic mountain scene is cooler than an indoor scene.

Takero
03-05-2008, 11:24 AM
I believe they were out of garden . I'm sure there is no such place in garden .

Elly
03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
i totaly agree they, Seifer & squall, were training together outside the Garden that way they won't be held back by the Garden Faculty... Squall & Seifer are all about becoming the best at that early point, they are quite competitive and think they are the only ones that understand each other, sort of a friendly rivalry, but of course Seifer and his explosive temper takes things a bit far and they both get injured... the very reason they did it out of the Garden, their prideful egos couldn't handle someone else stepping in and stopping the fight if the sparing turned into such...

Liberi_Fatali
03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
i totaly agree they, Seifer & squall, were training together outside the Garden that way they won't be held back by the Garden Faculty... Squall & Seifer are all about becoming the best at that early point, they are quite competitive and think they are the only ones that understand each other, sort of a friendly rivalry, but of course Seifer and his explosive temper takes things a bit far and they both get injured... the very reason they did it out of the Garden, their prideful egos couldn't handle someone else stepping in and stopping the fight if the sparing turned into such...

That may be so, but how did Squall get to the Infirmary? He was knocked unconscious sometime after Seifer cut his face open-- he didn't let up after being injured. So, did Seifer knock him over the head and drag him back to the Garden? Probably not.

Roogle
03-06-2008, 05:11 PM
These are the types of issues that I expect remakes to deal with. I think that, at the time, players were fascinated with the dramatic music and the realistic graphics that they tend to forget asking themselves questions like, "Where are those two right now? How did Squall get back to the infirmary?"

rubah
03-06-2008, 05:21 PM
They were probably by the fire cavern. Some SeeDs going to or from that place to do their prerequisites for the SeeD exam probably found him and drug him back. maybe seifer too, I was under teh impression that he was in the infirmiary and then got released or ran off before kawazaki could call quistis.

Takara
03-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Who said it was after hours? We don't know exactly what time it is when Squall wakes up in the Infirmary, only that it's morning/early afternoon since the SeeD field exam is scheduled to tae place at 16:00. When Quistis tells him he has yet to complete the Fire Cavern prerequisite before the exam, he mentions (in thoughts) that "[he] was going to this morning, but Seifer..." What I think happened is that as soon as curfew was lifted and he was allowed to leave Garden, Squall decided to go to the Fire Cavern and met Seifer on the way there and they had their duel.

bdon333
03-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Who said it was after hours? We don't know exactly what time it is when Squall wakes up in the Infirmary, only that it's morning/early afternoon since the SeeD field exam is scheduled to tae place at 16:00. When Quistis tells him he has yet to complete the Fire Cavern prerequisite before the exam, he mentions (in thoughts) that "[he] was going to this morning, but Seifer..." What I think happened is that as soon as curfew was lifted and he was allowed to leave Garden, Squall decided to go to the Fire Cavern and met Seifer on the way there and they had their duel.

i think ur right...he prolly told quistis they were just training to cover up the fact that they actually fought

blackmage_nuke
03-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Who said it was after hours? Well i naturally assumed considering how the fight scene was set at night (or early morning)

edit: If you look at 1:59 on this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx3CK8EgaYk) You can sort of see the sun has begun rising or is almost finished setting. They might have been fighting since before then though so its not too clear.

Rostum
03-09-2008, 06:38 AM
When Quistis asks Squall if he had done the test (where Ifrit is), he thinks to himself that he was on his way but Seifer stopped him.

I always assumed that they met up in the mountains outside where the Ifrit test was. Garden officials probably found them and took them back.

Edit: Takara explained it better.

Roto13
03-09-2008, 06:41 AM
It's entirely possible that Seifer took him back to the garden, isn't it? He was just going overboard with training, not trying to kill him. Yet. :P

Rostum
03-09-2008, 06:50 AM
I don't know. Seifer would have been hurt pretty badly too with the cut to his head.

Vyk
03-09-2008, 09:18 AM
I forgot.. They both got their scar that day, didn't they

Avarice-ness
03-09-2008, 09:55 AM

When Quistis asks Squall if he had done the test (where Ifrit is), he thinks to himself that he was on his way but Seifer stopped him.

I always assumed that they met up in the mountains outside where the Ifrit test was. Garden officials probably found them and took them back.

Edit: Takara explained it better.

He couldn't go there alone. He needed a SeeD to accompany him as stated by the little dudes at the ifrit cave. So unless he was wandering around outside to find a SeeD that's prolly in the Garden, I don't find that to be reasonable. Unless Quistis or another SeeD was waiting for him (most likely Quistis) but then she'd prolly say something like she was wondering what happened. But then again, no because the infrmary called her to pick him up and she was able to get their super fast, so if she was waiting at Ifrit cave the wait would have been longer.

Now if the opening scene was done for "Ohh and Ahh" reasons, then it could be that Squall was training in the training center to prepare for going to the cave, when he went to leave to go get his SeeD (again prolly quistis since she's his teacher) he was stopped by Seifer. Thus making the whole "Take it easy in training" from the doctor and what not plausable. They -were- in the training center so what may have been a fight could have been more easily covered up as training than saying it was training if they were out in the mountain range.

Fire Cavern-Entrance
*Garden Faculty
"Objective: To obtain a low-level GF. A SeeD member must support. Are you ready?"

<<CHOICE>>

<<(Yes)>>

<<(Still need to prepare...)>>
<<(Yes)>>
<Squall salutes>
Squall
"I'm ready."

Cowboy Girl
04-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Interesting. It's hard to say with the facts presented, it wouldn't make sense for the fight to have occurred near the Fire Cavern. And yet there no visible mountainy areas inside Garden.

Unless Squall went early to train a little before hand and ran into Seifer. And the SeeD (probably Quistis), was going to show later but got the call from the infirmary. Or maybe it was Quistis who found them.

The doctor person only said that the injury wasn't serious and to come pick up her student. So Quistis seemed to already know.

Avarice-ness
04-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Interesting. It's hard to say with the facts presented, it wouldn't make sense for the fight to have occurred near the Fire Cavern. And yet there no visible mountainy areas inside Garden.

Unless Squall went early to train a little before hand and ran into Seifer. And the SeeD (probably Quistis), was going to show later but got the call from the infirmary. Or maybe it was Quistis who found them.

The doctor person only said that the injury wasn't serious and to come pick up her student. So Quistis seemed to already know.

Dr. Kadowaki: "Quistis? Come get your student. Yes, yes...His
injury's not serious. It'll probably leave a scar.
......Right. Now please come by."

If Quistis was the one who brought him in to the doctor, the doctor wouldn't of stalled on saying her name. Also, by the looks of that she prolly asked a few questions.

When Quistis also comes up to get him, she sees who it is and shakes her head. And then makes this comment.

Quistis: "I knew it'd either be you or Seifer! Come on, let's go.
Today's the field exam."

Now from that, I'd say that she didn't know which student ended up being in the doctors to pick up. Granted just from the previous history of Squall and Seifer verbal and possibly physical scrapping, she most likely assumed that if someone was going to end up at the doctor it would have been one of them.

Dr. Kadowaki: "Why don't you take it easy in training? Next time you might not be so lucky."

The only thing I can't remember is the policy for training outside the school. Is there one?

Also, the fight couldn't have taken place -THAT- early in the morning. I only say this due to the fact of the MASS amount of people shown in the CG when Squall and Quistis are walking to the main part of the building. Not to mention, it's also perfectly sunny, so it's not like it's dawn or anything.

And due to the fact that it's clearly mass storms and almost all black clouds (if you look on the reflection of the lightning, not lighting up the black in the sky but only against the greyer clouds), there's no telling what time it actually is. It's unreasonable to say that it's like.. in the middle of night because the time between getting taken to the doctor and getting out of the doctor would be minimum and it's a bright sunny day when Quistis gets him.

Now if for some reason this was a perfectly normal day just with... epic clouds and blackness, there would also be no reason for Squall to be taking his GF test in the middle of the night.

So really, there's not enough evidence that shows they snuck out.
If anything there's more visual evidence pointing to the opening scene being just that, a dramatic opening scene.

Now, if everything was just an elobrate visual of what happened just to make an opening scene awesome, then it could be reasonable. Instead of showing something bland like the training center, they showed an awesome mountain scene, They were possibly in the training center right before closing, Squall was going to leave to get what ever SeeD needed to do his GF test, but Seifer jumped him and the epic battle NOT in the mountains begins. It would also take account for why Kado believes they were training and not sneaking off and for why he says he was about to go do his test when Seifer jumped him.

I highly doubt before the fight, Squalls sword falls from the sky and lands all epically into the ground.

So yeah, as for me, I don't believe the opening scene and everything around it was -ever- meant to be taken into any interpretation other than what it was: Two people fighting in an epic setting that leads into them getting hurt which leads into ingame showing the main character as the most hurt one.