Orleans
Colmar
Basel
Lyon
Vienne
Gap
Torino
Nice

Have you ever been to any of these places and if so where should I go while I'm visiting in them?

Aerith's Knight
03-05-2008, 08:44 PM
ive been in loads of them, but i was too young to remember.

When in paris, do eiffel tower and such(go to the top!)

and if you have to visit a museum, go to the louvre, the rest is crappy. Disneyland paris is fun too :p

In brussel you of course have to visit the giant molecule thingie.. and stop by in the netherlands while you are there :p. Oh and if you order fries there, do not let them give you mayonaise, because even for dutch people(who like mayo with fries), their mayo is just disguisting.

theundeadhero
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I haven't been to France yet but I plan to. All it really takes is filling out a piece of paper on a Wednesday and then leaving Friday for the weekend so I have no excuse for not having done so yet. Without doing any research on where to visit I would say Paris because it's already known to be touristy.

Araciel
03-05-2008, 09:05 PM
French people are scary. Just go to St. Boniface or something.

Dreddz
03-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Living in England has intitled me to visit France ALOT of times. Im actually sick of the place now. But Paris was nice the first time I visited.

Well not really, but Disneyland was awesome.

Jojee
03-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I've been to Paris ^_^; French people are mean bastards... well, I was only in France for a day or two, and I was eleven, but like the only memory that really stands out is I was walking down the street and some badass teenage French girl who thought she was so hot bumped into me really hard walking the other way. I looked back to see wtf that was and she gave me the middle finger >=o *nukes France*

Aerith's Knight
03-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Ive been to france about 10 times i think. Mostly 2 places every visit.. vacation you know..

and yes.. french people suck!! ass!!

they know english, but refuse to speak it. even to small children in tourist resorts.

but the sea is nice, and southern part is nice and warm, not the humidity warm.. but nice warm.

air is cleaner too, because they use a lot of nuclear energy.

Breine
03-05-2008, 09:41 PM

and if you have to visit a museum, go to the louvre, the rest is crappy. Disneyland paris is fun too :p

This is not true. Musee de Orsay (sp?) is definitely also worth a visit.

Other than that, just enjoy Paris.. it's a lovely city - of course you have to see the main tourist attractions (e.g. The Eiffel Tower, The Triumphal Arch, Notre Dame etc.), but make sure to also walk around and just opserve and enjoy the city for a couple of days. It's really worthwile.

Aerith's Knight
03-05-2008, 09:46 PM

Other than that, just enjoy Paris.. it's a lovely city - of course you have to see the main tourist attractions (e.g. The Eiffel Tower, The Triumphal Arch, Notre Dame etc.), but make sure to also walk around and just opserve and enjoy the city for a couple of days. It's really worthwile.

dont drive though, just use the subway and walk. Traffic is a bitch.

Breine
03-05-2008, 09:47 PM

dont drive though, just use the subway and walk. Traffic is a bitch.

As in most big cities :P

Jess
03-05-2008, 10:17 PM
I went to Paris in February with my ex-boyfriend. I visited these places:
Notre Dame
Eiffel Tower
Arc de Triomphe
Sacre Coeur
Moulin Rouge

I was only there for 2 days, though. I'd recommend all of them! I was too much of a wimp to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower (scary!) and only went to the second level. The sights of Paris were beautiful.

I stayed in Gare du Nord in the north of Paris, and we walked pretty much everywhere. We got the tube once - but the signs in the stations were awful and really confusing. I'd advise flat shoes!

If you can't speak French then you may have a bit of a struggle. I can't speak French; I think in only two restaurants I went to the waiters attempted to speak to me in English. Luckily, my ex-boyfriend could speak french. I really struggled with the locals, and I found a lot of the french that I encountered very rude.

There are a lot of beggars in Paris; mostly near the tourist attractions. They will approach you and ask you if you are English -- the best thing is to just respond with "Non!" and keep walking because otherwise they will just not leave you alone. :jess:

rubah
03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Go down south and see the aqueducs and the bridge in Avignon :D

Heath
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Never been to Paris but I've spent a day in Calais and also spent a few days on the Belgian-French border whilst on a trip around WWI memorial sites. The main place we visited that weren't memorials was Ypres which is a very nice little place.

Tallulah
03-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Paris is just like London; a bit dull, but good for the tourists. I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower when I went; it was quite an exhilarating experience, though I did get a bit vertigo when I got to the top, blindly took a couple of photographs through the windows, and went back down again.

I also had snails in a bistro when I went another time (with my parents) and a dandy old guy sitting in the corner with his newspaper, actually came over and showed me how to eat them, which was kind.

If you have time, visit Lille as well; my family and i used to go a lot when my mum worked for Eurostar, as we had free trips. It is near the Belgian border, and has a lot of interesting shops and restaurants. There is a regional (Alsace-Lorraine) dish made there called Flammenkeuche, and it is kind of like an ultra-thin pizza, and comes in various toppings, even sweet ones, such as fruit and ice cream. :p

Balzac
03-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Where is London in this? The title is very misleading.

Jings
03-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I went to Paris with my girlfriend a couple of years ago and it's probably the most beautiful city I've been to. Far nicer than any British city anyway, but that's just my opinion.

I'm sure you know all of the big things to see in Paris, and people have already mentioned them so I won't bother repeating what they've said. I do, however, feel the need to defend the French people just a little bit.

My girlfriend and I booked a small hotel in Porte de Versailles which is right on the outskirts of Paris, we were having a lot of trouble finding it and it was well over thirty degrees so we were getting hot and cranky. Anyway, a very nice French couple stopped and helped us find the place on our map, then they walked with us to make sure we got there alright.

Their English was better than our French and they were perfectly happy to speak it after they saw the trouble we were getting into trying to speak French. The French seem to get a lot of bad press and I can't help but feel it's unjustified a lot of the time.

We met a lot of rude people too, A LOT, but mentioning them just seems to ruin my argument. Enjoy France!

Dr. Acula
03-06-2008, 05:18 AM
I might be going to France next year on a student exchange. So if you go next year, look out for a Kiwi girl that is really bad at French. That would be me.:D