PDA

View Full Version : Video Games that got crappy reviews.........but you like it anyways!

Crossblades
03-06-2008, 02:30 AM
Was there any video game that you purchased that received really bad reviews, but you liked it anyways? Couple of games that come to my mind is Samurai Warriors(I really like beat'em up type games)and some of the Mega Man X games(5 and 6 got bad reviews, but I'm a huge MMX fan. I hated 7 though >.>)

KentaRawr!
03-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

My favorite game ever.

NeoCracker
03-06-2008, 02:41 AM
Xenosaga's reviews didn't do it justice.

LunarWeaver
03-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Xenosaga's reviews didn't do it justice.

You darn tootin' they didn't :mad2: XS > All things.

Hmm, let's see. Some sites gave Killer7 really bad reviews, and I still bought it. I bought Blue Dragon despite many reviewers calling it lame. They were kinda mixed, though...

NeoCracker
03-06-2008, 02:51 AM
After you mentioned killer7, No More Hereos as well.

A 6 in Game Informer? WTF is wrong with those people?

This game is at least an 8. Though I'd give it a 9 myself.

Spuuky
03-06-2008, 03:00 AM
Enchanted Arms and Xenosaga are the two that spring to mind, although I'm sure there are many.

Wolf Kanno
03-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Xenosaga, MMX6, Evil Zone, Breath of Fire IV and Dragon Quarter, KH:Chain of Memories, and Guilty Gear Isuka come to mind.

Ramza Beoulve
03-06-2008, 05:44 AM
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (What? It's just cool), Omega Boost, Megaman X6, Megaman X7 and Legend of Mana. Maybe Castlevania LoI too.

Oh yeah, also Beyond the Beyond.

Vyk
03-06-2008, 06:22 AM
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (What? It's just cool), Omega Boost, Megaman X6, Megaman X7 and Legend of Mana. Maybe Castlevania LoI too.

Oh yeah, also Beyond the Beyond.

Lmao Old School <3 :D Beyond the Beyond was kinda creepy though. I'd have given it a bad score just because the character portraits were scary ugly

(Kidding) Edit: Also, I agree. Rhapsody was fun. And I really enjoyed Lament of Innosence

There was a game back on Sega Saturn called Dragon Force. Which, if I could still play it somehow, it'd probably still be one of my favorite tactical games evar... It wasn't well received however. Nor were the Shining Force games before it. Favorite grid based tactics series...

Recently... I have no idea. I haven't taken chances on games in a long time. I know Mass Effect got lower scores than it should have because of a few bugs and I guess the graphics weren't what everyone expected? Which seems like a retarded reason considering its not an ugly game. Not new age gorgeous, but it does what it sets out to do

Sarc the Swordsman
03-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Vagrant Story. At the time, everyone I spoke to about it said not to get it because it was insanely hard, confusing and they gave up on it. I read some reviews, which praised it in some ways but bashed it in others and...bought it.

Still remains one of my favourite games even today. Sure it's hard, but the plot and atmosphere is amazing.

Roogle
03-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Kartia: The Word of Fate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kartia:_The_Word_of_Fate) is one of my favorite strategy role-playing games.

Has anyone else played this game? I thought that it did an excellent job of characters, story, and gameplay, but it fell short on its production. I think that the game had a disbalanced gender ratio, too, but that's all that comes to mind right now —

Dreddz
03-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Blood Omen 2 got pretty stale reviews and I actually agree with alot of what they said. But there was something that still drew me into that game. I still prefer it to both Soul Reaver games.

And the Street Fighter Ex series doesnt deserve the crap it got.

Bolivar
03-06-2008, 05:44 PM
It wasn't well received however. Nor were the Shining Force games before it. Favorite grid based tactics series...

Shining Force received bad reviews??? Those are like my favorite 16-bit RPGs...

speaking of which, I'd have to say Sword of Vermillion. I thought it was a cool game, i even played it again a few months ago, but ever since they brought it on the virtual console all these people have been slamming it on online reviews...

Lone Wolf Leonhart
03-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I personally thought that some of the Legend of Dragoon and Breath of Fire 3 reviews were way too low. But I guess alot of the reviews I saw overall were good. (from offical magazines and websites the reviews were mostly good, I found alot of the negative reviews were just at home players that were complaining about how the games weren't like Final Fantasy). I also feel that Guardian's Crusade was a great game that could of had better reviews than it got.

Breine
03-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Chocobo Racing and Death By Degrees come to mind.

scrumpleberry
03-06-2008, 06:34 PM
The Magic Knight Rayearth game. Got me into the manga XD

Also, Shining Force. Difficult, but addictive...

Markus. D
03-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Guild Wars Factions got a rather awful review from gamespot.

I knew they had not bothered playing it after seeing nothing off of the first island and PvP areas..

and the fact they said the story was exactly like prophecies!

They could have had a chance to give it a bad review by saying alot of the scenes string along for mostly underwhelming/tedious lengths of time...

Roto13
03-06-2008, 06:58 PM
In b4 "reviewers are always wrong"

KentaRawr!
03-06-2008, 07:32 PM
In b4 "reviewers are always wrong"

They are, as opinions are invalid to the watcher. :3

Vivisteiner
03-06-2008, 08:28 PM
The Hobbit. Man, that game left me some good memories.

Btw, some of the games mentioned so far did get good reviews overall: Vagrant Story, No more heroes.

NeoCracker
03-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Overall is hardly the point.

My Point was Game Informers No More heroes review. :P

Rocket Edge
03-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I guess, Final Fantasy VIII.

Vivisteiner
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
^Final Fantasy VIII got average reviews of about 90/100

Spuuky
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh yeah, I can't believe this didn't occur to me, but Gothic 1, 2, and 3. I guess some obscure European reviewers liked them but man were they given no respect by American reviewers. And it's probably my favorite game series ever, so this is my new choice.

Vivisteiner
03-06-2008, 09:36 PM
I bet Ive started to really piss you guys off...

But the reviews for Gothic 1 and 2 were pretty good.

Gothic (pc: 2001): Reviews (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/gothic?q=Gothic)
Gothic II (pc: 2003): Reviews (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/gothic2?q=Gothic)

Gothic 3 sucked though:

Gothic 3 (pc: 2006): Reviews (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/gothic3?q=Gothic)

Spuuky
03-06-2008, 09:43 PM
I guess actually I was referring to the big-name reviewers like IGN and GameSpy and GameSpot. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I just remember them getting poor reviews. I know GameSpy gave Gothic 2 a 2/5 and Gothic 3 a 1.5/5, I remember that much.

I wonder what constitutes "crappy reviews."

Vivisteiner
03-06-2008, 09:54 PM
IGN gave these reviews:

Gothic 1: 86
Gothic 2: 80
Gothic 3: 49

Gamespot gave:

1: 72
2: 81
3: 76

Gamespy gave:

1: 83
2: 60
3: 30

God Im sad. So yeah, the games got pretty mixed reviews, although two thirds of them were around 80/100

Vyk
03-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah that's why I don't try to pull review memories out of my ass :] So when I said Shining Force wasn't well received. I have no idea how it was reviewed. I just know its hard to find people that know of it. And those that do usually prefer more complex games like FFT or Disgaea

Madame Adequate
03-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Suikoden II has a Metacritic of 82. Suikoden V has 75. Both of these are far below what they deserve, so I consider them crappy reviews :jess:

Vivisteiner
03-06-2008, 10:14 PM
^Yeah, thats a point. Vyk said that Gothic series was his favourite. So he's probably say that 80 was too low and that 95 was about right. And while 80 does mean it was well recieved, it doesnt mean it was outstandingly recieved.

Final Fantasy IX is one of, if not the highest reviewed FFs. But I still think it should be higher. :p

Alucard von Elru
03-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Probably my biggest "guilty pleasures" are the two Drakengard games. I love them to death. I recognize all of their numerous flaws and the reviews hit the nail on the head in more than one instance, but I still find them FUN. The first game's totally "out there" plot was something I watched with great interest. It's one of the most all-out messed up things ever. The second game's play mechanics were vastly improved, and honestly that game is the most fun I have EVER had with a DW-style hack and slash-er.

Also, Blood Omen 2. The game was NOT a good Legacy of Kain game, and was often a poorly-written, buggy/glitchy mess. But there was something strangely addictive about its combat and general level flow.

Araciel
03-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Kartia: The Word of Fate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kartia:_The_Word_of_Fate) is one of my favorite strategy role-playing games.

Has anyone else played this game? I thought that it did an excellent job of characters, story, and gameplay, but it fell short on its production. I think that the game had a disbalanced gender ratio, too, but that's all that comes to mind right now —

Of course. I own it...well kinda.

Madame Adequate
03-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Oh, I can now safely say Dynasty Warriors 6. It probably does only deserve a 6 or 7 in the big scheme of things, but in terms of sheer freaking fun it's one of the best ever made.

Captain Maxx Power
03-11-2008, 09:11 PM
The number of reviews I feel are too praising of a game vastly outnumber the reviews I feel don't do games I like justice. Most if not all of the games I've liked have scored high.

Krelian
03-13-2008, 01:09 PM

I liked the game too. I didn't know it got bad reviews.

Personally, I don't care about ratings. I kind of did once, but even then I made exceptions. I game that I had much fun with, which got really bad ratings was Blaze & Blade: Eternal Quest. It's an action adventure for PSOne for up to four players. You create custom characters and go on to explore the world. The story isn't groundbreaking, but decent enough. The biggest flaw was its graphics, I admit they don't look too pretty XD But even so, I had fun. I still have a level 320 or so character somewhere. Damn, I'd like to play it again...

hotspot
12-20-2008, 04:49 AM
The game kya dark lineage got mostly bad reviews. But i love it and think it is one of the best games ever, second to the suikoden games.

Iceglow
12-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I liked Too Human, this game got pretty badly mauled by mags and by player reviews. However once you bothered to learn how to control the melee attacks and figured out why the camera could be so annoying at times (it locks on to the biggest threat first and assumes you want to kick the ass on that then the small stuff) it's quite good fun and the customisation on it was impressive. The worst thing about customising was colours, because a colour rune took a slot up on the weapon if I recall correctly. An entire slot which could be used to acquire extra exp or loot, deal extra damage or even just increase defense is a little steep for changing the colour of the weapon or armour.

Markus. D
12-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Final Fantasy X-2.

I'm not saying anything (as I've stated why It's amazing in other threads)...

Slothy
12-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Blood Omen 2 got pretty stale reviews and I actually agree with alot of what they said. But there was something that still drew me into that game. I still prefer it to both Soul Reaver games.

And the Street Fighter Ex series doesnt deserve the crap it got.

I agree with you to a point on BO2. I did enjoy it a fair bit actually, then I got more than half way through and a stupid game glitch kept me from progressing while another kept me from loading my save file. Any good will I had for the game promptly dissolved.

Can't agree with you on SF EX though; at least not the first one.

Honestly, Doom 3 took a fair bit of flak for some of it's more old school game design, and I would have preferred if they spent more time in Hell and less on Mars, but I still greatly enjoyed it. I also loved how well optimized the game was. It looked great even on really low settings.

Final Fantasy X-2.

I'm not saying anything (as I've stated why It's amazing in other threads)...

It was actually fairly well reviewed. I wouldn't call an 86% or so on Game Rankings crappy reviews.

Big D
12-20-2008, 10:46 PM
I like Driver 3, aka Driv3r, despite the generally poor reviews. It's not as good as the earlier Driver titles, but still fun and challenging enough.

Vermachtnis
12-20-2008, 11:53 PM
God Hand, it got mixed reviews. But some of them were pretty low. But that game is so awesome. I love the ending credits.

Ryth
12-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Xenosaga is the only one I can think of. I tend to hate the same games critics do, but I tend to dislike a lot of games they love.

Also, critics generally liked FFX-2, it was fans that backlashed mostly.

Depression Moon
12-21-2008, 01:12 AM
I don't think any game I like wasn't well received by the professional game critics. here's a list here of all the games I like that are outside of FF that I like. I hope I'll be surprised by something

GTA III
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
MGS
MGS 2
MGS 3
Yoshi's Island
Poke'mon Blue
Poke'mon Silver
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros
Super Smash Bros Brawl
God of War
Halo
Halo 2
Street Hoops
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits
Dragon Quest VIII
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario World
Kirby Superstar
Mario Kart Wii
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Galaxy
Dragonball Z BT3
Tekken 5
Street Fighter II Turbo
Okami
The Prince of Persia trilogy
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 4
Kingdom Hearts and
Kingdom Hearts II

I think everything on my list is at least an 8 except for probably Arc the lad, Prince of Persia the sands of time, and Kirby Super Star which are probably 7's.

Slothy
12-21-2008, 01:24 AM
I think everything on my list is at least an 8 except for probably Arc the lad, Prince of Persia the sands of time, and Kirby Super Star which are probably 7's.

Bite your tongue about Prince of Persia. Easily one of the best games of the last console generation.

Evastio
12-21-2008, 02:21 AM
Kirby's Dream Land 3 immediately comes to mind. People hate on it so much even though it's got so many awesome qualities like the crayon drawn graphics, mini-games, a memorable soundtrack, an awesome villian (much more plague-like and less annoying than Marx), and Gooey (which I prefer much more than I do helpers since Gooey can actually select which power he wants, and him puffing up like Kirby makes much more sense than the helpers somehow being able to do mid-air jumps infinitely).

MadeOfApples
12-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Brave Fencer Musashi
StarOcean 2: The Second Story
Saiyuki: Journey West
Kartia: Word of Fate
Magic Knight Rayearth
Legend of Legaia

I don't think any of those got completely horrible reviews but I know they were in the 7's at best. Good games too.

Levian
12-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Pretty hard to find games that I like under 70% at gamerankings, but I found a few:

Clock Tower 3: 69%
Resident Evil Outbreak File #2: 62%
Obscure: 65%

Ramza Beoulve
12-21-2008, 07:33 PM
One more to my list:

Smart Bomb

escobert
12-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I can only assume saga frontier 1/2 got shotty reviews but they're my favorite RPG's :D

Guild Wars got pretty decent reviews in general but has been pretty well bashed for not being a WoW clone. thank god it's not.

Vyk
12-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Ah, this old topic. Pretty sure Jericho on the 360 scored horribly. Not the best made shooter out there. But the style of it, I loved it. Couldn't put it down for some reason. Like playing through a really dark and gritty comic about guns and demons. Good story too. Liked the characters. Very different

Dreddz
12-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Clock Tower 3: 69%

Nice find. I always thought Clock Tower 3 averaged out in the mid 70's. I loved the game personally. Hope they make another.

Nominus Experse
12-21-2008, 09:59 PM
7th Legion is a terrible game - even I can admit that it is - but I still love it.

4.1/10 7th Legion for PC Review - PC 7th Legion Review (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/7thlegion/review.html)

sdm42393
12-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Sonic Unleashed (68.9%)
Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (69.1%)

VorpalCyberWolf
12-22-2008, 07:16 AM
I actually enjoyed the Legend of Spyro games, especially the first one.

Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning (62.6)
Legend of Spyro: Eternal Night (58.5)
Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon (59.4)

I wouldn't give these games high scores per-se but I would put them in the higher 60s maybe low 70s.Otherwise, just about every other game I really enjoy is in the 70s+ at gamerankings.com.

sdm42393
12-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning (62.6)

"I-I'm adopted?!"