PDA

View Full Version : Selphie's First GF?

Forsaken Lover
03-06-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm pretty sure at the "we were all in the same orphanage" part at the one Garden, Selphie mentions her first GF and how she can't remember it's name anymore.

I always wondered, is it possible to find this GF in the game? Is it ever revealed? Just a minor note of interest I always thought about when watching that scene.

blackmage_nuke
03-06-2008, 07:36 AM
This might sound weird but for some unknown reason i always got this image of mini Selphie walking around the overworld and meeting Carbuncle then equiping it.

Serapy
03-06-2008, 08:41 AM
I think it was Cerberus.

Those party members are concerned about the event, unlike Zell. That is because he's releated to Ultimecia.

Big D
03-06-2008, 08:55 AM
I reckon it's Tonberry. We know she 'found it inside a monster she defeated' while on a field trip, and from her journal on the Garden network we know she went to the Centra ruins on a fieldtrip. She's also one of the characters with a high affinity for Tonberry from the outset, and Tonberry is a GF that's found after defeating a monster.

Forsaken Lover
03-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Wow. That does seem pretty spot on.

Tallulah
03-06-2008, 12:54 PM
I read somewhere it is likely to have been Tonberry, but I didn't see/pay attention to the in-game evidence.

Roogle
03-06-2008, 03:44 PM
I think it was Cerberus.

Those party members are concerned about the event, unlike Zell. That is because he's releated to Ultimecia.

That does not make any sense.

I reckon it's Tonberry. We know she 'found it inside a monster she defeated' while on a field trip, and from her journal on the Garden network we know she went to the Centra ruins on a fieldtrip. She's also one of the characters with a high affinity for Tonberry from the outset, and Tonberry is a GF that's found after defeating a monster.

Well, I have a question. In the Final Fantasy VIII universe, how is a Guardian Force created and carried from person to person? Do they come in capsules or something? Selphie stated that her first Guardian Force was found on a field trip, right, so shouldn't she still have it when she joins you at the start of the game? Do you think that it was a gameplay aspect of disallowing party members to begin with a Guardian Force equipped?

rubah
03-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Maybe since trabia doesn't really teach their students to use a GF she couldn't harness its full power and threw it away or let it go. Balamb is the one that emphasizes GF usage the most.

Roogle
03-06-2008, 05:39 PM
But does the game ever actually state how you harness a Guardian Force? Is it like a physical belonging or a mental belonging? Do you know if the game ever makes a statement on that?

Corrugo
03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
But does the game ever actually state how you harness a Guardian Force? Is it like a physical belonging or a mental belonging? Do you know if the game ever makes a statement on that?

Well it's gotta be mental, y'know? If equipping GFs make you lose some of your memory, then they probably go into your brain and stay in the place where your memory was. The longer you equip GF the more you lose your memory (Probably because the GF gets stronger and needs more room)

Big D
03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Well, I have a question. In the Final Fantasy VIII universe, how is a Guardian Force created and carried from person to person? Do they come in capsules or something?They're spirit being, apparently, seeing how they can manifest and disappear almost at will. The game tells us that GFs occupy a part of their owner's mind (that's why they end up causing memory loss: they occupy parts of the brain or mind that are important to long-term memory). Much like magic spells, GFs are complex energy structures. When you junction a GF, you take it into yourself and it integrates into you. As to how this is accomplished... it's probably similar to using magic: a supernatural process whereby your mind can control a form a supernatural energy. By taking in the GF, the user gains additional strength and powers, many of which usually belong to the GF.

A couple of times in the game, people are junctioned: Adel uses Rinoa as a Junction, and Ultimecia junctions herself to Griever. That's different, since they're junctioning a physical being, but the principle of integration is the same.
Selphie stated that her first Guardian Force was found on a field trip, right, so shouldn't she still have it when she joins you at the start of the game? Do you think that it was a gameplay aspect of disallowing party members to begin with a Guardian Force equipped?She says she "junctioned it for a while", which seems to prove she didn't keep it.

NeoCracker
03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
And here I was thinking this thread was about Selphie being a Lesbian.

Ah well, theres still my dreams.

Mercen-X
03-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Oh aren't you brilliant...? What a handsome genius you are, mate. :eep:

Vivisteiner
03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
And here I was thinking this thread was about Selphie being a Lesbian.

Ah well, theres still my dreams.
Great minds think alike.

Unfortunately they also steal your punch lines.

Forsaken Lover
03-07-2008, 06:05 AM
I have no objection to discussion of Selphie engaging in sexual activity with other women.

As an American teenage male, I fully support it.

Roogle
03-07-2008, 04:22 PM
She says she "junctioned it for a while", which seems to prove she didn't keep it.

I think that it would have added more personality to the characters if they were to come with their own Guardian Forces equipped upon joining the party. If that was the case, all of the party members, with the exception of Selphie, would have been shown to be constant users of Guardian Forces, adding a little more thought to that revelation near Trabia Garden.

Big D
03-07-2008, 10:42 PM
She says she "junctioned it for a while", which seems to prove she didn't keep it.

I think that it would have added more personality to the characters if they were to come with their own Guardian Forces equipped upon joining the party. If that was the case, all of the party members, with the exception of Selphie, would have been shown to be constant users of Guardian Forces, adding a little more thought to that revelation near Trabia Garden.I agree, that would've been cool - their choice of GF could be linked to their personality, for instance.

Marky Tee
03-16-2008, 07:37 PM
i think it was doomtrain
cause of her love for trains
i know it says she got it after defeating a monster but there isnt nesecserily(aint got a clue how its spelt) only one way to get each gf

maybe

Tallulah
03-16-2008, 11:19 PM
I have no objection to discussion of Selphie engaging in sexual activity with other women.

As an American teenage male, I fully support it.

It was Quistis. ;)

NeoCracker
03-17-2008, 01:20 AM

I think that it would have added more personality to the characters if they were to come with their own Guardian Forces equipped upon joining the party. If that was the case, all of the party members, with the exception of Selphie, would have been shown to be constant users of Guardian Forces, adding a little more thought to that revelation near Trabia Garden.I agree, that would've been cool - their choice of GF could be linked to their personality, for instance.

Of course Irvine should be the exception to that. As until he joined with them he never equiped a GF, hence why he still has his memories.

You seem, something so simple could have been a great foreshadowing of things to come. :)

Jessweeee♪
03-17-2008, 07:17 AM
JUMBO CACTUAR!

BG-57
03-21-2008, 01:27 AM
I once had a thread where I suggested that the main characters could be paired with GFs they resembled physically or in terms of personality. My thought was Carbuncle for Selphie: both are bouncy, cheery and cutesy.

In terms of her original GF, parsimony would suggest one of the extant ones that the party eventually gets, although there's no reason there can't be other GFs the party never finds. She even could have junctioned to Tiamat in his GF days.

Not that I'm suggesting either is likely.

Aerith's Knight
03-21-2008, 03:15 AM
obvioulsy hades disguised as a turtle

Heath
03-31-2008, 12:48 PM
I once had a thread where I suggested that the main characters could be paired with GFs they resembled physically or in terms of personality. My thought was Carbuncle for Selphie: both are bouncy, cheery and cutesy.

In terms of GFs that best suit the personality of the character, I agree with you and others who said that Carbuncle was probably the best match. However, as Big D said, Tonberry is a likely candidate. I did think for a moment that looking at the evidence that Big D stated, it could even have applied to Odin but then again, you don't junction Odin he just appears. I think it probably was Tonberry if it was any of the obtainable GFs.

the lynch clone
04-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Selphie's first GF was actually Criss Angel. Yes, THE MINDFREAK!!! Just kidding!! That would be STUPID!! It was actually mediocre street magician David Blaine. His dubious distraction skills made her think that she was dealing with Criss Angel the entire time, but pulled a fast one on her. Before she knew it, she forgot what had happened. Blaine's mundane presentation caused Selphie to become a narcoleptic, so in her defense she was sleeping most of the time. She then met him years later on the streets of Balamb. She was conversing with flower-painted vinyl siding while he was luring children into his '87 Ford Econoline full-size windowless van that had "puppies and candy" inside of it. He was later arrested after Zell found out that Mr. Blaine didn't actually have puppies and candy in the van, but a gallon bottle of Vaseline Intensive Care and 5 O'clock rum in Spongebob cups. Selphie laughed the entire episode off and went on to play with a fire hydrant and a container of nitrous oxide.

MINDFREAK!!!!!!

Roogle
04-30-2008, 08:42 PM
the lynch clone, please do not post false information.

the lynch clone
04-30-2008, 09:23 PM
It's not that it's false information, it's just completely irrelevant, ironic and moderately amusing. And if you take any of my posts seriously then you should consider reevaluating your life. If there are objections to my posts because of engagements in real heartfelt conversations about fictional characters in a fictional world, then the replies shall discontinue. My posts are for entertainment purposes, not information. Enough people post the necessary information. I just happen to throw a curve-ball every now and then. Very few people actually post replies to my posts, and if they do, they may get a good laugh out of it. If this is unacceptable, then the posts will cease. Keep on keepin' on.

Big D
04-30-2008, 11:03 PM
My posts are for entertainment purposesAnd they achieve that well, in my opinion:monster:

bdon333
05-01-2008, 06:49 AM
This might sound weird but for some unknown reason i always got this image of mini Selphie walking around the overworld and meeting Carbuncle then equiping it.

although i never imagined a "mini" selhpie...i imagined Selphie running off by herself in a jungle and coming across Carbuncle

Markus. D
05-01-2008, 12:37 PM
i think it was doomtrain
cause of her love for trains
i know it says she got it after defeating a monster but there isnt nesecserily(aint got a clue how its spelt) only one way to get each gf

maybe

Yes!

That must be it =]!

It's so either this or Tonberry :3

Roogle
05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
It's not that it's false information, it's just completely irrelevant, ironic and moderately amusing.

I do not allow irrelevant posts. I think that it is good that you are looking to entertain others, but have something in your post to inform others, too.

Christmas
04-08-2022, 01:43 PM
I thought they store their GF in a Pokeball or something. :Bigsmile:

Squall managed to catch them all in the end! As for Selphie's GF, it will probably appear in the later version like Sun and Moon. :bigsmile:

Mr Gashtacular
04-08-2022, 05:06 PM
how come roogle has no chill

Quindiana Jones
04-08-2022, 07:34 PM
Man, the naughties were absolutely wild.