PDA

View Full Version : Alternative ending to 'I Am Legend'

Rostum
03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Personally, I much prefer this alternative ending to the original ending (haven't read the book so I can't comment on that ending).

Gametrailers.com - I Am Legend - Alternate Ending by DrowningHER0 (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/184699.html)

Araciel
03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
The original was kind of a let down. This one, I don't think is better, but it seems to fit better.

Peegee
03-06-2008, 04:04 PM
So that's where the trailer scene came from.

I stopped watching at 50% because I got the gist of what the ending was trying to express. I'm not sure it fits, since I'm emotionally invested in the original ending xD but I 'get it'

escobert
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Yeah I liked the final ending better but that was interesting.

Balzac
03-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I heard that this was supposedly the original ending. When I watched the dvd I was quite surprised to see the ending I did. I also thought it was a very good ending too.

This alternate ending was pretty good, but I prefere the one that was used.

scrumpleberry
03-06-2008, 05:30 PM

This one was certainly cheesier. I don't think it kept that much in canon with the rest of the film.

Araciel
03-06-2008, 05:47 PM

This one was certainly cheesier. I don't think it kept that much in canon with the rest of the film.

Well....There could be arguments to that.

scrumpleberry
03-06-2008, 06:01 PM

Well....There could be arguments to that.

Ooh, lets.

1. I think the entire point of the virus was the fact that it was so terrifying because it left you being entirely inhuman. The dude showing signs of care and appreciation of negotiation and exchange took away from that for me.

2. Dr. Neville dying at the end in the final version was, again, cheesy, but I think his death fit his role right from the beggining as a man who was sacrificing his own welfare to find this cure.

That's all I got atm...

Araciel
03-06-2008, 06:29 PM
1. the fact that the 'leader' may have some human traits was already shown prior to the new ending, when he both stood in the sunlight, burning himself, and when he made the trap, all in an attempt to save his (presumably) mate. I even discussed this with my girlfriend after we watched the movie and said I was surprised how they didn't play it up afterwards.

2. Neville dying fits the original story, and this one, though for very different reasons. The fact that he basically fails to cure the infection seems to wound him more than dying to see it actually works (in the new ending as opposed to the theatrical version) He isn't really a legend in the alternate, which doesn't fit, so you're right there.

Like I said, they both could work...I loved this movie up until the woman saved him, but whaddyagonnado.

El Bandito
03-06-2008, 07:58 PM
God did this movie disappoint me. I have no idea why they changed the story completely from the novel. I honestly think a movie completely true to the novel would've been much more interesting (though I guess it wouldn't have appealed to the masses as much).

Instead, the movie ended up a watered down version of 28 Days Later.

I guess this alternate ending was a little better in the fact that they conveyed the "vampires" as having their own society and still keeping feelings, but the whole concept of there still being a stronghold of humanity is bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: and just ends up pissing me off (they even changed the entire reason Robert Neville is a "legend" ARGH!).

Miriel
03-06-2008, 08:40 PM
That ending was ridiculous. Obviously they were trying to show that the "vampires" were capable of thinking rather than just being crazed rabid humans, but did they have to do it in such a stinky way?

Ugh. Why couldn't they have just kept the whole movie closer to the book?

Madame Adequate
03-06-2008, 08:50 PM
That ending was ridiculous. Obviously they were trying to show that the "vampires" were capable of thinking rather than just being crazed rabid humans, but did they have to do it in such a stinky way?

Because you can just read the book if you want the story the book tells.

XxSephirothxX
03-06-2008, 08:53 PM

Wait, what? The entire point of book-to-movie adaptations is a visual representation of a preexisting story. :confused:

LunarWeaver
03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I've never read the book, but my brother told me about it. The general plot of the book excited me :jess: Then the movie didn't have that concept at all.

I didn't like either ending myself. I've seen worse, I guess. :/

Big D
03-06-2008, 09:24 PM
A neat idea, but I felt that the alternative ending humanised the plague victims way too much - it gave them familiar emotions and relationship structures, whereas the rest of the film made them swarming, hive-oriented and utterly unrestrained in their aggression. When you take a human and make it act inhuman, the result is something I find really unsettling and frightening. This version of the movie took away from that, by suggesting "they're not so different from us after all".
Still, I like how this version forces Neville to consider the many 'zombies' he's killed during his research. Also, the end explains how the group were able to leave Manhatten - I don't know how many dim-witted reviewers have been critical of the film because "zomg they said there no bridges, how did dat gurl n kid get into teh NY? Did dey swimmz?"

Madame Adequate
03-06-2008, 10:05 PM

Wait, what? The entire point of book-to-movie adaptations is a visual representation of a preexisting story. :confused:

Really? I've never heard that before. Except from people who take offense that their fave book wasn't faithfully adapted. I have always understood it to be a reinterpretation of the story - because you cannot film a book. It just doesn't work. It can't be done. You change things, that's just how it works. That's why you don't get faithful adaptations. Because they're impossible.

Yamaneko
03-06-2008, 10:17 PM
It's a good idea to follow the book closely when your film adaptation's ending is so crappy. They should have had Neville commit suicide. That would have been the best ending.

fire_of_avalon
03-06-2008, 11:38 PM
2. Neville dying fits the original story, and this one, though for very different reasons. The fact that he basically fails to cure the infection seems to wound him more than dying to see it actually works (in the new ending as opposed to the theatrical version) He isn't really a legend in the alternate, which doesn't fit, so you're right there.

The woman is still cured, because that realization happens before the point the alternate ending starts. So he could still be Legend.

I was going to read the book this week, but our ENORMOUS LIBRARY WITH 6 BILLION TEXTS only has one copy. Due in early April. So I guess I'll read it then.

Madame Adequate
03-07-2008, 02:09 AM
It's a good idea to follow the book closely when your film adaptation's ending is so crappy. They should have had Neville commit suicide. That would have been the best ending.

Oh Yams, you wacky man!

Though the ending sure could have been better.

WTB: Tale of loneliness and despair that ends without hope.

Miriel
03-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Really? I've never heard that before. Except from people who take offense that their fave book wasn't faithfully adapted. I have always understood it to be a reinterpretation of the story - because you cannot film a book. It just doesn't work. It can't be done. You change things, that's just how it works. That's why you don't get faithful adaptations. Because they're impossible.

Oh puh-lease! As if the people commenting on the lameness of I am Legend as compared to the book are fanatic fan-people who wanted an exact replica of a book to be played out on screen.

The book told a good story. The movie, not so much. A good majority of the film was decent, some parts of it was awesome, but the ending pretty much sucked. The ending of the book did not suck. The film is an adaptation of the book. Do ya see why people would complain? There is no reason to have changed so DRASTICALLY from the book except for purposes of dumbing it down. There was no reason to dumb it down.

So much was changed that it's really not much of an adaptation. More of an "Inspired by..."

Peegee
03-10-2008, 03:19 PM
The book's ending is better. From wikipedia:

Neville encounters an apparently uninfected woman named Ruth; startled, she runs away. Neville chases her and after a struggle drags her back to his house. Suspicious that she is infected, Neville questions her. He reveals that as well as vampires, he kills the infected, believing that sooner or later they will die and come after him. Despite their mistrust, Neville and Ruth share an evening of platonic love.

However, when Neville performs a blood test on her, her infection is revealed. Ruth knocks him out and escapes, but leaves a note, explaining that she was a spy from a primitive new society; her people are infected but have discovered a means to hold the disease at bay. She warns him to leave before they come to destroy him. Neville decides to stay.

Months later, hunters from the new society capture Neville, and take him for public execution. Before he can be executed, Ruth provides him with pills so that he will feel no pain. Neville takes the pills; before he is executed he reflects on how the new society regards him as a monster. Just as vampires were regarded as legendary monsters that preyed on the vulnerable humans in their beds, Neville has become a mythical figure that kills both vampires and the still-living while they are sleeping, thus the book ends with his final revelation: "I am legend."

Not wanting to write a frigging book report, but the proper meaning of the film's title is that Neville becomes an oddity just as the infected were oddities to the uninfected.

Spawn of Sephiroth
03-17-2008, 07:25 PM
So, what is so controversial about the alteranate ending? I don't get why its suppose to be.

Madame Adequate
03-18-2008, 12:43 AM

Oh puh-lease! As if the people commenting on the lameness of I am Legend as compared to the book are fanatic fan-people who wanted an exact replica of a book to be played out on screen.

Well given that I've never once in my entire life come across any other reason...