PDA

View Full Version : Reformating computer help!

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
So my roommate has been having trouble with her laptop and decided to reformat it. I had just wanted to make sure, but when you reformat your computer, do you need to have the Windows' CD to re-install Windows? I know for Dells they have a special program that allows to reformat it without the hassle of reinstalling Windows and the bundle software. Is there something like this innate to Windows? She has a Toshiba, is it possible that Toshiba has a similar thing (I know nothing about them)?

Also, if I have to reinstall Windows, she does not have her Windows CDs and such, is there any tips as to going about that?

o_O
03-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Some computers have a recovery partition, but usually in order to use them you need a recovery CD that comes with the computer - Did she get any kind of recovery disc? There isn't anything analogous to that in Windows, but there are system restore points. These will simply restore the computer to the state it was in when a particular restore point was made. I don't know if she would have any restore points that suit though. I turn them off because they take up too much disk space. :p

Does she know the XP CD key that was used with her current installation? Because you may decide that there's no moral issue with downloading an XP image for use with an existing key, since the key is what you pay for. I mean, Adobe tech support actually advised a friend of mine to download a pirated version of Photoshop CS3 because the installer on his disc was bugged. :p

03-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Aside from installation CDs for her camera stuff and printer, as far as I know she does not. I can double check.

Is there any way to figure out her XP CD key in Windows? Because I honestly do not think she even has any of the manuals (which I assume that is where they'd be in) that came with her computer. Is it safe to assume that her key would work with my installation CD?

Thanks for the help~

Nominus Experse
03-07-2008, 12:31 AM
If it truly is lost, than the only way to "find" it would be to look for a torrent containing Windows XP SP2.

Oh, and yes, if they are the same versions of Windows, using your installation disc (but using her keycode) would work perfectly well.

03-07-2008, 12:34 AM
If it truly is lost, than the only way to "find" it would be to look for a torrent containing Windows XP SP2.

I want to try to avoid going down that road though. Plus I figured it might cause problems with the system updates and such because of Mircosoft's validation program.

Nominus Experse
03-07-2008, 12:51 AM
I am not supposed to tell you that it doesn't cause any issues.

o_O
03-07-2008, 01:05 AM
If you want to find the CD key, click Start > Run > type regedit.

Browse to the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
and look for ProductID. It should be the of the form XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.

Installing a downloaded XP with a legit CD key won't give you any trouble with updates or any kind of Microsoft validation. As far as they are concerned, it's a legal copy of Windows, since the key is paid for.

Nominus Experse
03-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Face is a god amongst insects.

Namelessfengir
03-07-2008, 05:10 AM
or when it comes to the validation screen ( if it has a problem with the code you put in) it will give you a number to call microsoft for a confirmation code, all yopu have to tell microsoft is that there was a power outage and reformat they will talk you through a code to validate your install. i did this about a dozen times but it might have changed since 06

Baloki
03-07-2008, 03:55 PM
THE CD KEY WILL BE ON A STICKER ON THE COMPUTER/LAPTOP CASE!

Nominus Experse
03-07-2008, 04:23 PM
THE CD KEY WILL BE ON A STICKER ON THE COMPUTER/LAPTOP CASE!
NOT ALWAYS, BUT USUALLY SO. WE ARE IDIOTS FOR NOT THINKING OF THIS EARLIER.

amidoingitrite?

Mirage
03-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I totally thought of that the second i read the thread.

crono_logical
03-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Whenever I need to find the CD key of an already-installed copy of Windows/other MS software quickly without rummaging through CDs or the registry, I use magic jellybeans (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/beta/) :D It can also find keys for some other things like installed games too :p