PDA

View Full Version : PS1 on PSP

hhr1dluv
03-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Very sorry if this is somewhere already...but I recently got a PSP, and I was wondering how I could download PS1 games on it. Does anyone know how, and where to find good roms or whatever? I seriously know nothing about it. Thanks!

Rostum
03-07-2008, 12:02 AM
You need to install custom firmware on your PSP, and you need to rip the games yourself (requesting illegal downloads is forbidden on this website).

MaxConsoles.net is a really good homebrew resource for the PSP. But again, you can't request ISO's of PSX games there, it's illegal.

hhr1dluv
03-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Sorry...I didn't know about that rule. So, I imagine it's okay to discuss emulators on the site, but not okay to provide or ask for direct links to them?

Vyk
03-07-2008, 08:51 AM
I don't think emulators are illegal. Its just that you're going to have to hunt down the games yourself, I'd suggest torrents. Or get a program that'll convert your games into ISO files for you :] Pirate a copy of PowerISO or something

KoShiatar
03-07-2008, 09:45 AM
There is a very pretty version of FF I for the PSP. You can find it on Emule if you don't want to buy it.
If you want to play the original version instead, you should get information on how to run a NES emulator on a custom firmware.

If you go for the ripped PSP version, be sure you'll convert your ISO file to CSO format before you upload it on your memory card, it will be smaller.

hhr1dluv
03-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Well honestly, I wanted to play FFs VII-IX on my PSP. I was under the impression that having a ROM or whatever wasn't illegal if you own the originals, although I could be wrong. But, that might get overly complicated, so maybe I'll just play them on my PS2, as I've been doing.

Dreddz
03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Rip your game onto your computer. Use icetea to convert it to eboot format and then slap it in your GAME folder on your PSP. Simple.

The Ceej
03-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Well honestly, I wanted to play FFs VII-IX on my PSP. I was under the impression that having a ROM or whatever wasn't illegal if you own the originals, although I could be wrong. But, that might get overly complicated, so maybe I'll just play them on my PS2, as I've been doing.

The ROM laws state that you cannot download ROM's whether or not you own the original. You are allowed to own them provided you own the original, but ROM sites are not allowed to let you download them. You must rip them yourself. I'd find you the exact law, but I can't be assed to do so.

This law prevents people from legally owning certain games due to their not being released in a certain region or no longer being available because the market had moved on thus giving them two choices: Illegally obtaining them or going without.

Vyk
03-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Sounds like he just wants to rip his own so all this ROM legality talk is pretty much moot :]

Rostum
03-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Definitely check out MaxConsole.net so that you can make sure you're using the right popsloader for the right game, and the right game ID.

Sometimes games work better with different ID's.

Also, I prefer Popstation GUI PSX2PSP 1.2. But that's because I find making custom backgrounds and icons easier with that program.

KoShiatar
03-08-2008, 02:33 AM
I suppose we shopuld give him indications on how to install custom firmware first, unless he bought a second hand modified one. But it's hard to give advice on this without knowing at least his current firmware version and if he's got a phat or a Slim.

Rostum
03-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Chances are he will have a newish one. Probably slim.

If that is the case, you could either get someone to make you a magic memory stick and pandora's battery. Or you can do what I did and buy a Datel Tool Battery with Magic Memory Stick already made.

That way you just do what the instructions say (very easy), and it'll automatically install cFW 3.80m33-5. Then you just go to Network Updates on your PSP and it'll install 3.90m33-2.

Try not to use Time Machine, because it seems to screw things up eventually. Unless you're on a fat psp.

(I tried to avoid making a pandora's battery as much as possible. It seems like a lot of work and a high risk for having the battery blow up in your face)

Skyblade
03-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Are there any problems that arise with using custom firmware on the PSP? Is it legal, does it invalidate warranties, etc?

KentaRawr!
04-08-2008, 04:52 AM
While this thread is a few weeks old, I do believe I remember PS1 games being sold on the Playstation Network, and Sony's official Emulator being hacked is what started the PS1 on PSP craze, so if you want a legal way to do it, you may need a PS3.

But it seems like that's totally out of the question by now. :p

hhr1dluv
04-11-2008, 05:19 AM
Hmmm...Thanks for all the advice everyone. I have decided, however, that it might just be easier to not bother with it. Although, I probably have the perfect PSP to mess around with -- it's an old one I got for 40 bucks, so I won't care too much if it breaks.

Oh, and I'm a "she." ;)

Aerith's Knight
04-11-2008, 06:52 AM
well i heard you have to get a special memory stick and battery for it.. so itll cost something nonetheless

Rostum
04-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Which was already stated. =P

Need to get custom firmware, but to do that you need a pandora's battery and magic memory stick, which most people are willing to create for free (or you could just buy a datel tool battery with magic memory stick for something like $30AUD).

Either way, totally worth it! Especially when you can find a really good source for downloading PSP games. You end up finding a lot of cool games that you wouldn't even think of buying.