PDA

View Full Version : Vroooom Vrooooooooooooom!

Jess
03-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Do you drive? If so, did you pass your driving test first time? If not, why not? Do you have a car? Tell us about it! If you don't have a car, what is your dream car? What is your driving pet peeve? TALK ABOUT CARS AND DRIVING. :jess:

I drive, but only with my parents or brother in the car because I don't hold a full license yet. It's my second driving test on Monday. I failed the first time because I was super nervous and made silly mistakes. I decided today to take my driving test in my own car, if my insurance company will let me. I really really really hope I pass this time!

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6448/kennyby8.jpg

HELLO KENNY. Kenny is my Ford KA. I got him for my 18th birthday and I love him lots! He is only little, and can only fit 4 people. The boot space is tiny. :jess:

The thing that annoys me the most when driving is when people don't indicate and also when it is my right of way and people keep coming anyway. Arghhhhh.

kgo.

Ki Ki
03-07-2008, 12:08 AM
I drive! A black honda civic coupe 07. I failed the first time because I was also really nervous and also thanks to a flag man who just had to pop by on that day. :kaoangry:
I almost cried after I failed too! The guy was such a meanie.
Hm ... my pet peeve is people who drive really really slow in the fast lane and people who cut me off.

Araciel
03-07-2008, 12:09 AM
I don't even have my full license yet..and I'm 25.

Dolentrean
03-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I don't even have my full license yet..and I'm 25 19.

Flying Mullet
03-07-2008, 12:23 AM
My first car was an old Datsun 710 station wagon that looked something like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/68/Datsun_160J_Wagon.JPG/250px-Datsun_160J_Wagon.JPG

Freya
03-07-2008, 12:29 AM
I drive a little over 80 miles a day to and from school so I had to get my license. I passed it the first time though. My car is a blazer and it gets 17 mpg o.o which is really bad when you drive as much as I do.

BUT Monday my parents got me a NEW car. Well not new new but meh. I got a 2001 VW beatlle :jess: It gets 30 mpg and that makes me excited. One problem. It's a standard and i don't know how to drive stick D: I has to learn.

It's a spring green :D

rubah
03-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Do you drive? If so, did you pass your driving test first time? If not, why not? Do you have a car? Tell us about it! If you don't have a car, what is your dream car? What is your driving pet peeve? TALK ABOUT CARS AND DRIVING. :jess:

Yes
Yes
--
Yes
Is silver 2003 chevrolet cavalier two-door. Is wonderful and drives perfect for me. That's how I picked it. My dad took me to see various used chevies and pontiacs and I saw this car that was like a MIRROR with its window tint and I got in it and it smelled so nice and I drove it, and it just felt perfect. I love it.

(I've driven it over a few curbs since getting it, so it's started to make some weird wiggles and sounds, but it's a wonderful car, gets nice gaseousness, and fits just enough people)

--

My driving pet peeve is people that come up behind me when I have the cruise control on and they pass me just when I'm going to run into the back of a semi or something. I really hate that, but I'm starting to get where I can tell if a car is going to do that to me, so I get inthe passing lane before they can make it come to a crisis point.
*hates having to reset her cruise*

Caraliz
03-07-2008, 03:01 AM
i drive a '96 town & country minivan~ it's red. i haven't named it yet and i've been driving it for a year!

my very first learning car was a Lincoln continental and then my parents bought me (and themselves!) a 2001 pontiac grand am. And my mom crashed it. So I got to take over the minivan after they sold the lincoln.

I've had my license since I was 16-17 and i took driver's ed when I was 15.

my biggest driving pet peeve is slow old people who don't use their turn signals.

Rye
03-07-2008, 03:05 AM
You can do it!

I have my full license. I've had it for 7 months. It took me 3 tries to get my license, because I get bad nerves. But I'm a good driver, because I'm one of the only people I know who has NEVER (knock on wood) gotten into an accident or got a ticket. And most of those people got their license on their FIRST time, so that says something about the system.

I have a 2002 Alero. It's sexy.

Nominus Experse
03-07-2008, 03:13 AM
Do you drive?
Yes, though only sparingly (once every two weeks or so).

If so, did you pass your driving test first time?
Yes.

The woman that gave the test wore a large, black arctic coat in the middle OF smurfING SUMMER IN A CAR WITH NO AC.

She left a large sweat spot on my passenger seat, which I washed about thirty times over once I got home.

Do you have a car?
No, but my girlfriend does.

If you don't have a car, what is your dream car?
What I really want is a motorcycle, but if forced to chose a car, I would take the Ferrari 360 Spider or perhaps the Lotus Elise.

What is your driving pet peeve?
That people are oblivious idiots.

Dr. Acula
03-07-2008, 03:17 AM
I'm getting my licence next week. I was going to get it ages ago, but we couldn't afford it. But I am DEFINITELY getting it before I turn sixteen.

I have a silver Mazda MX6, which I share with my brother.

Madame Adequate
03-07-2008, 03:19 AM
I can't drive because I'm a worthless failure

Namelessfengir
03-07-2008, 03:37 AM
i drive ive had the license since i was 17 i passed the written on the second try (i didn't study) i drive a 93 grand cherokee that gets 20 to a gallon and fifteen in town was great back during school when gas was around 2.30 a gallon so i could fillup and be good for the whole week

o_O
03-07-2008, 04:15 AM
I drive an '01 Mitsubishi Diamante VR-X and I love it. It burns through fuel though which sucks.

Denmark
03-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Yes.
No.
Some bureaucratic bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: wherein you're supposed to stop at stop signs.
I drive a 2001 Honda Odyssey. Gold. The automatic sliding back doors have stopped working, so its capacity has pretty much gone down from 7 to 2. I love it.
I dislike drivers from Florida. They don't know how to drive in the Northeast.

Yamaneko
03-07-2008, 05:54 AM
Passed the first time. My first car was a '93 Infiniti G20. I now have an '02 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3L. I like it even though I'm paying up to my nose in gas. I don't really care enough about cars to have a dream one, just something to fit my needs during a certain time in my life. I don't like slow drivers and people who don't use their turn signals.

Cz
03-07-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't drive for a few reasons. For one thing, there's no need for me to drive anywhere since public transport in London is great, and at university more or less everywhere I need to be is within walking distance. As well as that, driving's really expensive, particularly when you're a teenaged male and you've got to pay a massive insurance bill.

But mostly, it's because I suck. :p

Big D
03-07-2008, 09:32 AM
I passed my learner's, restricted and full licence tests the first time.
If you just obey the law and keep your wits about you, it's fine.

My first car is my current car, and it's a 1976 Triumph 2500 mark 2. Fine old machine, that. Immaculate condition, too, and reliable as all hot damn.

I drive as little as possible, because I've got a decent bike, fuel's expensive, and my city's bus system is godly.

Breine
03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I don't have a licence, even though I'm 19 and you're allowed to get one when you turn 18 in Denmark. To be honest driving around in a car has just never really spoken to me. Sure, it's convenient and stuff, but as I see it it's also somewhat of an unnecessary luxury as long as there's public transport.. at least for someone like me. A lot of my friends can't understand why I haven't got it yet, and often ask me why and think it's quite ridiculous.

Who knows? - maybe I'll get my licence some day, but not for at least a couple of years.

Sarc the Swordsman
03-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't drive. Personally I'd like to, but I just can't get the confidence to try my luck at taking lessons. Besides, I'm only 18 and although I work, I really don't want to pour all my hard earned cash into a car. As for what type I'd buy, I actually don't know. I'm not too bothered about how flashy someones car is.

Balzac
03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't even have my full license yet..and I'm 25 19 26.

Blue Harvest
03-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I can't drive because I'm a worthless failure

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't drive because I don't own a car and I'm not fully insured

Loony BoB
03-07-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't drive because it's too expensive and the public transport system in Edinburgh is second in the UK only to that in London. And the UK's public transport is right up there.

I'll learn before returning to NZ, because NZ's public transport is not right up there.

Big D
03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
I'll learn before returning to NZ, because <s>NZ's</s> Auckland's public transport is not right up there.Fixed:D

escobert
03-07-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't currently drive much mainly walk.
The first vehicle I owned was a 1989 Chevy Blazer. It was the shizzle.

Loony BoB
03-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I'll learn before returning to NZ, because <s>NZ's</s> Auckland's public transport is not right up there.Fixed:D
How often do the buses come in Christchurch's suburbs? I'd be very impressed if they came as often as they do in Edinburgh (eight times per hour right outside my door). I think I got about 2-4 buses per hour in Auckland, which is pretty poor because if you miss one, you're screwed.

Denmark
03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Curse all you Europeans with your public transportation and your high population densities

Loony BoB
03-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I prefer living low-density. Public transport is great and all, but it's even nicer to have your own back yard and to not be living three floors up, let alone having a fenced off area in which everything inside is your own private property.

Also, public transport can work in a low density area, too, if your council and residents want to shell out for it.

Rocket Edge
03-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Do you drive?
Yes
If so, did you pass your driving test first time?
Yes
Do you have a car? Tell us about it!
It's a 2006 Ford Focus. A 3-door model in black. Tis' quite the sexy bit of gear, but saying that if I owned a banger i'd still call it sexy because it would be mine.
If you don't have a car, what is your dream car?
I have a car, but still, my dream car within reason is the BMW M6 Convertable. (http://image.automobilemag.com/f/car-ramblings-reviews/neiman-marcus-bmw-m6-convertible-sells-out-in-92-seconds/1008043+w500+cr1+re0+ar1/2007-bmw-m6-convertible-neiman-marcus-edition.jpg) Yes I will dream.
What is your driving pet peeve?
Mostly just people who take advantage of the road, and that can go for everything.

Polaris
03-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Learning how to drive in Portugal is too much expensive! Perhaps after I finish my mastership :) It's 1000€ besides it's not on my priorities

Roogle
03-07-2008, 06:32 PM

It was difficult for me to learn to drive because I rarely left the house aside from attending high school.

When I was sixteen years old, I went to take the permit test which allows you to drive a car with a licensed driver over eighteen years of age. I failed that test up to three or four times, if I remember correctly, and I never ended up doing anything with that permit because my mother and I failed to have the exam certification paper converted into a proper identification card.

When I was eighteen years old, I went to take the driver's license test which allows you drive a car. I had to wait until I was eighteen to do this because I was not able to prove that I had a permit to drive, and, in my home state of Missouri, you are allowed to bypass having a permit if you are eighteen years of age or older, so I did that and passed the first time.

It all happened rather quickly. I think that I moved out of my house several weeks after passing that test.

Peegee
03-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I drive an asianmobile

It even has an asian license plate.

I'm so asian T_T

seriously, I drive a red 2007 mazda 3

Aerith's Knight
03-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I have a licence.. yes i drive :)

and i have an 1992 Infinity G20 xD

o_O
03-07-2008, 11:24 PM
How often do the buses come in Christchurch's suburbs? I'd be very impressed if they came as often as they do in Edinburgh (eight times per hour right outside my door). I think I got about 2-4 buses per hour in Auckland, which is pretty poor because if you miss one, you're screwed.

Dunedin's public transport is awesome. The buses that stay in the general CBD area are all free and one comes about every five minutes.

Big D
03-08-2008, 12:13 AM

Dunedin's public transport is awesome. The buses that stay in the general CBD area are all free and one comes about every five minutes.Christchurch's buses are great, too. Every ten minutes for all the main routes, with trips that cost about $2, including a two-hour transfer, and a maximum of two fares per day, after which it's all free.
There's also a completely free service, which uses electric buses to circuit the CBD. Essentially, the Christchurch system means you can get from anywhere in the city, to anywhere else in the city, for a maximum of four bucks and a maximum of one hour, if you go at a bad time.

Sarc the Swordsman
03-08-2008, 12:23 AM
I was discussing this with a friend today, actually. She's learning to drive, and a few of my other friends can drive. It just costs too much, and it'd be so stressful and nervewracking, I really can't see a point to me attempting to learn at the moment.

On the other hand, although public transport can be annoying at times; it's cheaper for me to take the train/bus wherever I go simply because the cost of lessons, the car and insurance would be more than I could earn in a long time. >_>

Madame Adequate
03-08-2008, 12:46 AM
And the UK's public transport is right up there.

Hilarious! :D

Jess
03-08-2008, 01:07 AM
And the UK's public transport is right up there.

Hilarious! :D
Seriously. If the public transport was good where I lived I would not be in a hurry to pass my driving test. It's fucking awful. :jess:

Yamaneko
03-08-2008, 02:23 AM
None of you know what awful is. Trust me on that.

The Unknown Guru
03-08-2008, 06:52 AM
I'm taking Driver's Ed right now. I'm probably going to fail just because I always forget to do the homework, but I'm a decent driver.

Zeldy
03-08-2008, 09:07 AM
There's only ONE BUS that comes to the bus stop near me and it's at real awquared times and has a tendency to skip.

I'm not old enough to learn, but as soon as I'm 18~

Jess
03-08-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm not old enough to learn, but as soon as I'm 18~
I'm confused. Since when did you have to be 18 to learn to drive in England? :confused:

Tallulah
03-10-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm learning right at the moment. I had a bit of a shaky start, but I've picked up most of the basics now (after about eight lessons) and my instructor is really pleased with me. :) I'll probably take ages to get to the stage when I'm ready to take my test, and I almost certainly won't pass first time.

I am learning to drive in a Volkswagen Beetle, and it's really handy as the bonnet gives me a better view as it slopes down, plus it is shorter than most other models, so easier to park My dream car would be one of those, or a Mini Cooper. Though I would settle for a Smart car *shudder* as they're cheaper.

EDIT: @ Zeldy: You can technically start learning when you're 17. If you can afford it, that is :P

Blue Harvest
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
My mom gave me £300 for my 18th to learn to drive. I spent it all on alcohol instead :D

Montoya
03-13-2008, 08:34 AM
I drive, I passed my driving test in my first try, I drive a 2001 Ford Taurus that doesn't go well with the ladies because all the other people that drive those cars in my town are old ladies. Yay for me. The cool thing is is that it has leather seats and a six CD changer. :cool: