PDA

View Full Version : i:skull::skull::skull::skull:

Nominus Experse
03-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Ja, I've got an iPod 160 Gigabyte... thing.

I've got my music on the iPod itself.
I go to another computer and plug my iPod into it.
All I want to do is listen to the music on the iPod - I don't want to transfer the music files over to the other computer.
I simply want to access my iPod in order to play the files through the laptop's speakers.
The "Synchronizing" symbol pops up on my iPod.
I hastily tear the iPod out, because I suddenly have this question:

When it begins synchronizing with another computer, will it erase all my music? (Since the laptop has no media on it)

and...

Can I play the music on my iPod through the laptop?

Thanks.

EDIT:

HA! I conquer you iPod!

I found a way to make it not enter the synchronization stage, thereby making iTunes never automatically start or load/install itself.

Topic can be locked/deleted/made a playground for spam now.

CimminyCricket
03-07-2008, 03:00 AM
Rawr, Nom, you are a genius.

Rostum
03-07-2008, 04:33 AM
I like to not use iTunes and sync my iPod up to Winamp instead. It's a much better program, imo. :)

Of course this is assuming you don't buy from iTunes, which I have no idea why people would pay money for MP3 files (they are the worst compression). You'd rather go buy an CD that has uncompressed tracks on it.

rubah
03-07-2008, 04:46 AM
You don't buy mp3s from itunes, you buy m4ps!
and sometimes people give them to you for free, so you take them 8)

Rostum
03-07-2008, 04:50 AM
You don't buy mp3s from itunes, you buy m4ps!
and sometimes people give them to you for free, so you take them 8)

Whatever. 8)

I know lots of places you can get them for free. :D

blackmage_nuke
03-07-2008, 05:36 AM
I hastily tear the iPod out
The instruction manual writer must be rolling in his grave.

Nominus Experse
03-07-2008, 06:06 AM
I PANICKED

Roto13
03-07-2008, 05:09 PM
iTunes is the devil.

The Ceej
03-07-2008, 07:43 PM
This is one of millions of reasons why you don't install iTunes. You don't need iTunes. iTunes is evil. If someone bought me an iTunes gift card, I would hand it back to them and say, "You just wasted your damn money."

ml_ipod is what you should be using. It's a plugin for Winamp and it's better than the built-in iPod support.

Nominus Experse
03-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Since my other two computers are in repair at the moment, I have to rent out a laptop from the college library. They come pre-installed with iTunes, and do not allow the borrower (me) access to remove pre-installed programs.

Otherwise, duh. I fucking hate iTunes. DRM and all this other :skull::skull::skull::skull: that is not only frustrating to bypass, but slows the machine down considerably.

And I loathe Macs.

And I do use WinAmp, so I'll look into that plugin.

The Ceej
03-07-2008, 08:43 PM
This (http://mlipod.sourceforge.net/) is where to find it. But be warned that two iPod support plugins cannot be installed in Winamp simulateously. ml_ipod will make you uninstall the included iPod support in order to install it. You can do it. ml_ipod is a million times better.

Mirage
03-08-2008, 12:07 PM
I like MP3 players that simply work as portable mass storage units. Nothing more, nothing less.

KoShiatar
03-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Teach us Nominus, because I hate automatic synchronization issues.

Nominus Experse
03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
It's pretty easy, actually.

Go to Edit>Preferences>iPod and check the box for manual syncing. If you don't want to autosync when you connect the iPod to do this, hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (or it might only be Ctrl+Shift) for a number of seconds after the iPod appears in the source list. This sometimes takes forever on some machines (~3-25 seconds)

crono_logical
03-09-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm sure nothing's stopping you use knoppix on the borrowed laptop - might even be safer since you know it'll be a clean OS image you're running and not have a small chance of being infected with trojans or keyloggers or whatever :D