PDA

View Full Version : Dragoneer's aria and other dragon games

KoShiatar
03-07-2008, 10:26 AM
So, what about this game?
I've read very discording reviews of it on various websites, and votes varied from 8 to 4. I would like to play it, because I like the design and all, and especially because I love dragons and I've yet to find a game that makes effective use of them.
So, should I try this game or not? And in case you think I shouldn't, could you suggest me other good games where the dragons play a relevant part? Not only PSP games, and not only JRPGs, just whatever you think is good enough. Thanks!

Alucard von Elru
03-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I haven't actually played Dragoneer's Aria, but it looks decent enough. I can't really say much about it, though, so I'd like to make a reccomendation!

Sega's 1998 Sega Saturn classic RPG, Panzer Dragoon Saga, is one of my favorite games of all time and it makes very unique use of dragons.

The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic world (the game never states what world, but most fans believe it may be Mars) after humanity has very nearly wiped itself out. Civilization used to be very advanced, and warring factions sprung up. They began to make various bio-organic creatures to war with one another, and the most powerful weapons made in the ancient civilization's entire history were Dragons.

In the present, wasteland era, humanity is nearly extinct save for one mighty empire that is plundering ancient ruins to expand their resources. You play as a mercenary named Edge who is hired to protect one of the Empire's excavations sites, before things go very, very wrong.

I don't want to spoil much, so I'll just say that after things go wrong at the site you are rescued by one of the ancient dragons.

The gameplay is very inventive, with all combat and exploration segments taking place on dragonback unless you are inside of towns and other peaceful sites.

I can hunt down some links to reviews and the like if you'd want me to, as I'm sure I have them saved somewhere on my computer here. PDS is a game that is very hard to explain to people as it's truly one of a kind. There hasn't been anything made that really resembles its style except for Sony's ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Those two games have numerous artistic similarities with PDS, and PDS was the precursor to the storytelling methods that those two games popularized. It's really something special, but it should be noted that it's quite rare. It was released only on the Saturn (no ports or remakes) and had a very limited print run. Additionally, it can never be ported, apparently, as not only does the Saturn have a really complex structure that doesn't favor emulation, but Sega has since lost the original code. o.O I paid $250 for my nearly-mint copy, so expect to pay a decent amount if you're interested. Shockingly enough, the game actually IS worth it in my opinion.

If you're a fan of ICO or Shadow of the Colossus (and dragons), I can't reccomend Panzer Dragoon Saga enough. It's just about perfect in every way! Again, if you'd like me to track down some more links for you, I can! The most immediate and solid source of knowledge would be The Will of the Ancients - Dena Posteri (http://www.panzerdragoon.net).

EDIT: Oh poo, I can't believe I forgot to mention something! Another glorious dragon-focused game to play is Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter for the PS2! It presents a very unique take on dragons, and wraps it in some very unconventional artistic sensibilities and highly unique play mechanics. Additionally, it's also much, much easier to find when compared to PDS. I see copies of it for cheap in my local EBgames all the time.

Those two are the primary games I would reccomend when searching for games that are of a very high quality that present a unique take on the dragon concept. I can't think of too many good games that use a more traditional approach to the conception of the dragon, however.

Markus. D
03-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Drakengard and Drakengard 2

Drakengard has the most repetitive gameplay ever and the story aint told so great... but it's so worth playing through it till the end ;D! Just to see what it has to offer in cases of characters (one of which is a Dragon).

Drakengard 2 is rad :]

CimminyCricket
03-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I have Dragoneer's Aria, I'll let you know how it is once I open it.

Alucard von Elru
03-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Drakengard 2 is rad :]

The Drakengard games always got such abysmal reviews, and in the case of the first one I think some of the points are justified, but I had so much fun with Drakengard 2. It's a little rough around the edges, sure, but it's absolutely my favorite game of its kind. It's the best Dynasty Warriors-style hack and slash-er of all time, as far as I'm concerned. Not sure why I didn't bring it up before, but then it seems there's always something that gets left out of these lists. :P