PDA

View Full Version : How to kill divetalons early in the game?

hhr1dluv
03-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Okay, as a result of this whole powerleveling/super-equipment-getting strategy guide that I'm using, I've been trying to get the Francisca Axe very early in the game (I haven't been to Bhujerba yet). To do this, I have to kill divetalons and malboro overkings and lizards (or something). Anyways, I am having major issues with the divetalon. Basically, I can't beat them. How on earth were other people able to beat those things without access to strong spells and strong ranged weapons? Even my crap quickening attempts only took off a quarter of the thing's HP, and then I was left without MP to use to heal. I think I'm at a high enough level (35, 37, 29, 29), so I don't think that's the problem.

Any ideas?

Roogle
03-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Why do you have to kill the Dive Talon? Is it part of the quest to obtain the Francisca Axe early? If I recall correctly, the Dive Talon is not an aggressive monster, so it would ignore you unless you strike the first blow.

Renmiri
03-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Aha! You forgot one way.... Ranged powerful attack early in the game = Horology or Numerology.

People underestimate techniques but they help a lot early in the game. Use a mix of 2 guys using Horology, a guy using Numerology and quickenings. I killed them before Bhujerba doing that.

Tabris
03-07-2008, 08:48 PM
You can also use a mix off Quickenings and magic.

hhr1dluv
03-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Hmm...do you have access to horology early in the game? It's possible I just haven't bought it, as I pay no attention to techniks. As for spells, my first level spells are doing NOTHING to the dive talon. :mad: I can't tell you how frustrating it is when you're used to dealing 800 damage to wolves with a gladius, and then you're doing 100 fire damage to a dive talon.

leader of mortals
03-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Hmm...do you have access to horology early in the game? It's possible I just haven't bought it, as I pay no attention to techniks. As for spells, my first level spells are doing NOTHING to the dive talon. :mad: I can't tell you how frustrating it is when you're used to dealing 800 damage to wolves with a gladius, and then you're doing 100 fire damage to a dive talon.

yes... now try it solo with a level 42 vaan(before I even have balthier... I have won this bragging battle)

hhr1dluv
03-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Oh, trust me, I'm not trying to win any bragging battles. :p I just wanted to powerlevel to try and make the game easier. As I have OCD and must follow whatever the guide says, it's aggravating the bejeezus out of me that I can't kill Dive Talons, and thus can't get the Francisca.

I know I can't brag. There's a person on youtube that leveled to 84 at the very beginning of the game (just after the Rogue Tomato hunt) by chaining Dustias. I'm sure there are people who have levelled to 99. :confused: I could never do that. Just leveling to 30 was boring and tedious enough.

Anyway, I just went ahead with the story. I now own horology, so when I get back to Rabanastre I'll try again.

Anno Domini
03-09-2008, 12:21 AM
totally of topic, but i looked at your sig and i agree, basch is a sexy beast

anyway, just go through the game normally. level 30 before yu get to bhujerba? what is wrong with you? you should be at mt. bur-omisece! you dont need francisca...

hhr1dluv
03-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Heh...I powerleveled because I didn't want to get too frustrated with this game. I don't normally powerlevel, but it was rather easy to do in this game, and it's been enjoyable so far (except for the Dive Talons...bleh).

Anyway, horology works! However, the gigantoads and malboro still decimate my party, so it looks like I'll have to go Francisca-less for now.

Currently working on getting another Demonsbane in Raithwall's tomb.

Renmiri
03-16-2008, 01:22 AM
Yup, horology is a lifesaver early in the game, and even later with Zalera and some others undead :) It's pretty handy when yo uwant to save MP for quickenings or healing.