PDA

View Full Version : Quickenings?

Aerith's Knight
03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Ive been playing for a while now, actually already lvl 30

but there is one thing.. I DONT GET THE QUICKENINGS!!

I have recently aquired 5 of them, but i have no idea what im supposed to do with them.. i can make a small chain.

but where is that MP boost everyone talks about? :cry:

Clawsze
03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Ive been playing for a while now, actually already lvl 30

but there is one thing.. I DONT GET THE QUICKENINGS!!

I have recently aquired 5 of them, but i have no idea what im supposed to do with them.. i can make a small chain.

but where is that MP boost everyone talks about? :cry:

if you can make a chain, you've got no probs in that department.
A character can get 3 quickenings each, with 18 on the board, so they can all get 3. The MP boost comes when a character gets 2, which doubles MP, while 3 Triples the original MP.

Roogle
03-07-2008, 07:38 PM
In other words, learning a single Quickening for a character does not have any effect on a character. Learn two Quickenings for a character to double his magic points; learn three Quickenings for a character to triple his magic points.

Mo-Nercy
03-07-2008, 10:51 PM
After you've a couple of characters with 2 Quickenings, you'll start to be able to make some bigger chains.

Some basic tips to keep in mind are to don't keep shuffling to look for stronger Quickenings, you're better off doing two Fires of War than one Tides of Fate, because your concurrence will be stronger with a bigger chain (you've probably only seen Inferno or maybe Cataclysm at this sage). In other words, if you see an available Quickening after shuffling, use it. If you see two or more, choose the weaker one. If you see "Mist Charge", choose that regardless of whatever else you see. "Mist Charge" refills your characters Mist Charges and almost always ensures he/she will have a Quickening available next turn (you may have to hit shuffle once more to get it to pop up)

Aerith's Knight
03-08-2008, 02:09 AM
i still dont really get it xD

but im still managing without them for the time being. Ill just collect them as i see them on the board.

I think i focussed on the wrong things xD.. i had like 80% of the augments when i was lvl 23 xD

Clawsze
03-08-2008, 07:55 PM
i still dont really get it xD

but im still managing without them for the time being. Ill just collect them as i see them on the board.

I think i focussed on the wrong things xD.. i had like 80% of the augments when i was lvl 23 xD

Well, before beating Bergan, Most Spells, Accessories and Technicks(Useless mostly anyways) are virtually useless and if you only get weapons and armour on the lisence board exactly when you get the weapons or armour, I'm really not surprised.

I only taught my characters Spells/Accesories/Tecknicks to actually get the MP bonus from Quickenings, but most of them still have about 40-50% of the augments, I had basch go all the way through to get the 500 HP bonus, which is helping a lot at this point (Currently at lvl 21 after beating croakadile)

sleepy_shadow
03-10-2008, 04:59 PM
I've found the boss fights quite easy if all of the characters know at least one quickening. Just have your first three chain as many quickenings together as possible, then switch out one character for one of the backup ones. Then have the fresh character use his/her quickenings, and that'll let the other two mist charge and continue chaining. Keep doing that for all of the characters until everyone's used up.
The boss'll be dead before you can say sianara.

Quindiana Jones
03-10-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm not a big fan of Quickenings. They're a right pain. Still kinda funky though.

Roogle
03-11-2008, 03:38 PM
I've found the boss fights quite easy if all of the characters know at least one quickening. Just have your first three chain as many quickenings together as possible, then switch out one character for one of the backup ones. Then have the fresh character use his/her quickenings, and that'll let the other two mist charge and continue chaining.

That is a good strategy. I did not utilize Quickenings very much during the course of my playthrough because I felt like they were somewhat desperation attacks — if you fail to make a large enough dent in the enemy's hit points, you will be devastated when your characters are forced to do battle with little or no magic points —

sub zero
03-11-2008, 05:50 PM
just set a gambit with charge=less than 10% MP (or 20% later levels) the shuffle button is R2 i think (just incase ya dont know). higest concurrence i got was luminessance against the last boss, lol.

Clawsze
03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
lol, to think, to get gabranth in the Sky Pirates Den you have to get all concurrences...Black Hole is 4 of all levels....the horror!!!!
I suppose it would be easier to do the 3rd level, then 2nd, then when the timer is less than .75(about the time it takes for a mist charge+quickening if lucky) start with lots of lowers.

Cloudane
03-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Heh, I played through the whole game and still didn't really 'get' quickenings.

I got chains going, sometimes (though usually it's shuffle-shuffle-shuffle-BZZT time out and the character does one quickening for about 10 HP) but they never seem to do much damage considering the fact it uses the entire MP of every single party member if they all get involved. Too much of a gamble, IMO, and I've never had much of a return for the MP investment.

Drives me nuts when I burn an entire bar of the character's MP only for the timer to whiz by, nothing happens, and I do less damage than pressing 'attack'.

Bolivar
03-12-2008, 10:24 PM
i really only use them for those low-HP phases against bosses/marks when they start churning out more hits and damage. As they usually get higher def & mdef, too, quickenings let you bypass that.

Clawsze
03-12-2008, 10:52 PM
I usually use them at the beginning of a boss battle, with my reserve team, then quickly switch out, near the end as the enemy gets harder. I will also use them when attempt to fight enemies more powerful than me.
The randomness of damage is....difficult to predict...the formula is (Lvl*a number between 1 and the power of quickening).
Concurrence=(Enemy lvl*Concurrence power)