PDA

View Full Version : Fav food not a poll,a Q for help

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 06:58 AM
i am a sous chef at a little fine dining restauraunt and i want to know peoples fav food i know people on this forum are from all over the world. i have a new menu that i have to come up with for an upcoming 5 course dinner. desert does not count because just to cleanse someones pallet i have already chosen to go with a small flourless cake just a bite's worth (this actually works trust me) but let me know because after all i dont feed myself i feed people. your foods may help me with my menu ill let you all know what i am working on soon

Dolentrean
03-08-2008, 07:01 AM
I think being a chef would be awesome, I am honestly a big fan of cooking... even if I am not to good at it. My school doesn’t offer any culinary classes.

By for my favorite food... Um, I would have to go simple and clean and say rare prime rib.

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 07:07 AM
being a chef is awesome at times. you have alot of freedom but i work 70+ hours a weak. but i love it. Prime rib very classic choice and so much that can be done with that. the raw meat from that has so many possibliltes.

Caraliz
03-08-2008, 07:14 AM
chicken and pineapple together. basically my FAVORITE thing is salty and sweet combination of things. i think there are not enough salty sweet things out there! my favorite food ever is stir fry. or maybe a sandwich. i would be in heaven if i could have chicken strips and pineapple on a sandwich, perhaps some kind of fancy whole grain bread with honey in it and oats but that's salty as well.

this sounds like lunch things, but for a dinner, perhaps grilled chicken burger with a ring of pineapple around it? it's definitely unique and can be spiced up (?)

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 07:17 AM
salty and sweet amazing combo. and now i have a new mission i will create you a sandwich with chicken and pineapple i promise. i like where this is going my notes have salty and sweet as my first course thank you.

rubah
03-08-2008, 07:17 AM
I had a tortilla soup this evening that was pretty amazing. I think it had some sort of grilled chicken, and avacado, and tortilla strips with some chicken broth to get poured over it so the tortillas would still be crunchy.

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 07:21 AM
1ST COURSE

House-cured salmon with radish salad (i know radishes bleh trust me lol), red grapefruit, preserved lemon oil, topped with avocado mousse served with a 2006 Flora Springs Pinot grigio (wine) ....keep in mind these will be small portions it will be 5 courses not counting the freebie at the end with the choclate

Caraliz
03-08-2008, 07:24 AM
salty and sweet amazing combo. and now i have a new mission i will create you a sandwich with chicken and pineapple i promise. i like where this is going my notes have salty and sweet as my first course thank you.

hehe, yum yum! I love food. :) you can't go wrong with the filet mignon either... so tender and good. so if you were looking for a different meat... also, garlic mashed potatoes that are whipped always go for an amazing side course. my favorite meal is filet mignon with garlic mashed potatoes and some veggie. i think the perfect thing for that would be fruit actually, maybe not even veggies. like a fruit salad for desert?

Dolentrean
03-08-2008, 07:27 AM
The potato is simply one of the most amazing foods on earth... I mean you can fry it, chip it, scallop it, mash it, bake it, twice bake it, boil it, make it into a soup, fry its skins!

I love the potato. Food rocks.

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 07:28 AM

hehe, yum yum! I love food. :) you can't go wrong with the filet mignon either... so tender and good. so if you were looking for a different meat... also, garlic mashed potatoes that are whipped always go for an amazing side course. my favorite meal is filet mignon with garlic mashed potatoes and some veggie. i think the perfect thing for that would be fruit actually, maybe not even veggies. like a fruit salad for desert?
you are just on track with me tonight and i dig it. my 5th course will be a beef trio (to be decided i dunno) but it will all be composed of psmo beef which is what we get filets off of. this is moving along greatly and i ment what i said about the samich

Caraliz
03-08-2008, 07:30 AM

you are just on track with me tonight and i dig it. my 5th course will be a beef trio (to be decided i dunno) but it will all be composed of psmo beef which is what we get filets off of. this is moving along greatly and i ment what i said about the samich
you'll have to tell me where your restaurant is based! i'll come visit and take you up on it, haha.

my mother is an experimental cook and she makes amazing combinations of things.

best of luck =)

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 07:33 AM
1ST COURSE

House-cured salmon with radish salad (i know radishes bleh trust me lol), red grapefruit, preserved lemon oil, topped with avocado mousse served with a 2006 Flora Springs Pinot grigio (wine) ....keep in mind these will be small portions it will be 5 courses not counting the freebie at the end with the choclate
2ND COURSE

Warm Salad of Braised rabbit, Wild mushrooms (Sheetakes oysters etc) Mache (type of green), Shallot Confit, with tarragon dressing served with a 2005 Flora Springs Sangiovese

this is also a 100$ a person dinner i am putting together all of your ideas will be taken into considerration and changed around i have to also match it with the wines that are being supplied HEADACHES lol

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 07:34 AM

you'll have to tell me where your restaurant is based! i'll come visit and take you up on it, haha.

my mother is an experimental cook and she makes amazing combinations of things.

best of luck =)ill just give you the recipe and let you make it for yourself but give me a little time

Zeldy
03-08-2008, 08:03 AM
LASAGNE. Lasagne is the nicest food in existence, I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and tea. yumm.

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 08:05 AM
LASAGNE. Lasagne is the nicest food in existence, I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and tea. yumm.
that is one of my fav meals i cannot get enough of the stuff i like it vegitarian with meat whatever cheese lol

Caraliz
03-08-2008, 08:29 AM
my mom loves lasagna with zucchini. it's tolerable. i like it with meat the most, ground beef to be precise. i don't like sausage in lasagna.

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 09:13 AM
thank you guys im 2 courses in already and i still have a month to go! keep the help coming i apprciate it

Montoya
03-08-2008, 09:15 AM
This thread is making me hungrier than I already am and I'm just eating Maruchan Instant Lunch right now. :cry:

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 09:18 AM
nothing wrong with that 12349865 diffrent ways to make that man. everyone has a diffrent way of preparing haha eggs, broth, not broth so on so on

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 09:28 AM
chicken and pineapple together. basically my FAVORITE thing is salty and sweet combination of things. i think there are not enough salty sweet things out there! my favorite food ever is stir fry. (?)
HEY! i have something for you you said you like stir fry so i thought this up for you maybe you will likes!
<TABLE border=0><TR><TD colSpan=2>
feel the illinoise! pineapple chicken stir fry:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>1/2 lb</TD><TD>Boned chicken</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Cornstarch</TD></TR><TR><TD>1 lb</TD><TD>Pineapple tidbits (drained)</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Sesame oil (optional)</TD></TR><TR><TD>1 ts</TD><TD>Brandy</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Peanut oil</TD></TR><TR><TD>1 ts</TD><TD>Soy sauce</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>Chicken broth or stock</TD></TR><TR><TD>1 ts</TD><TD>Sugar</TD></TR></TABLE>
Instrucions for you!

Cut chicken into thin slices.
Heat several tablespoons of oil in bottom of wok.
Add pineapple, several dashes of salt and enough broth to cover.
Cook for 1 minute.
Add chicken and cornstarch, diluted in water, to make a thick paste, sesame oil, brandy, soy sauce and sugar.
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.

Caraliz
03-08-2008, 09:38 AM
chicken and pineapple together. basically my FAVORITE thing is salty and sweet combination of things. i think there are not enough salty sweet things out there! my favorite food ever is stir fry. (?)
HEY! i have something for you you said you like stir fry so i thought this up for you maybe you will likes!
<table border="0"><tr><td colspan="2">
feel the illinoise! pineapple chicken stir fry:

</td></tr><tr><td>1/2 lb</td><td>Boned chicken</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>Cornstarch</td></tr><tr><td>1 lb</td><td>Pineapple tidbits (drained)</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>Sesame oil (optional)</td></tr><tr><td>1 ts</td><td>Brandy</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>Peanut oil</td></tr><tr><td>1 ts</td><td>Soy sauce</td></tr><tr><td></td><td>Chicken broth or stock</td></tr><tr><td>1 ts</td><td>Sugar</td></tr></table>
Instrucions for you!

Cut chicken into thin slices.
Heat several tablespoons of oil in bottom of wok.
Add pineapple, several dashes of salt and enough broth to cover.
Cook for 1 minute.
Add chicken and cornstarch, diluted in water, to make a thick paste, sesame oil, brandy, soy sauce and sugar.
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
yum! can i substitute anything for the peanut? i am deathly allergic to peanuts.

as for the courses... what about thai salad or an asian salad? my mother recently loved this salad that had cabbage, carrot, green beans, etc with a lime sauce. it's kind of a unique salad. it also had almond slivers, which i also cannot eat! but it might clean the palate more? or umm... what else. i really like an assortment of color. green, orange, purple, etc... it's all amazing.

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 09:41 AM
yum! can i substitute anything for the peanut? i am deathly allergic to peanut[/quote]
ya use olive oil do not use extra virgin it burns really easy and has a tendency to have a bitter flavor all though it is better for you.....bleh j/k

Avarice-ness
03-08-2008, 09:48 AM
One, I would LOVE to go to culinary school. Hands freaking down I love to cook.

I'm about to make some beef stew at 3:30am!

Either way...

One my favorite things is steak, Bacon wrapped fillet mignon to be specific. Now while some people just like to pan fry or... even bake it. =/
I love it when it's been taken over by a marinade of Worcestershire Sauce, Garlic salt (LIGHTLY), Rosemary, a slightly spicey mix basically like your conventional seasoning salt.
But instead of the basic pan-fry it can either be done on a flame grill (for added smoked flavor) or on a grill pan.
Basically, it's Worcestershire sauce first, then flipped on a layer of garlic salt, rosemary, and the seasoning salt.
When it's put on the grill pan or even the flame grill, the areas that are cooked by the grill have a somewhat crispy and wonderful flavor. Alot of people don't look forward to eating the "crust" that was made from some grilled foods, but the combination of spices and juices that were grilled make the person look forward to eating the "crust".

Now if my boyfriend would go clean the pot I could start making some beef stew. :mad:

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 10:00 AM
i agree with you so much so much is lost because of peoples minds! but! if you do cook the steak with just salt and pepper ok and saute it in a pan i know you were a little against it and none of your methods are wrong they all taste great but instead of marinating it try and cook it in the pan and add your marinande to the hot pan and do what is called "deglazing" with your marinande and make a sauce alot of the time you can reduce these ingriendents on low heat in the steaks natural Jus which will thinken it on its own. just a htought to try but all of your methods create tasty tasty meals :D

Avarice-ness
03-08-2008, 10:24 AM
i agree with you so much so much is lost because of peoples minds! but! if you do cook the steak with just salt and pepper ok and saute it in a pan i know you were a little against it and none of your methods are wrong they all taste great but instead of marinating it try and cook it in the pan and add your marinande to the hot pan and do what is called "deglazing" with your marinande and make a sauce alot of the time you can reduce these ingriendents on low heat in the steaks natural Jus which will thinken it on its own. just a htought to try but all of your methods create tasty tasty meals :D

Well that's the great thing about cooking and creating dishes, there's -always- room for a new method of cooking!
That's actually a very good idea, I'll try that next time I go meat shopping!

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 10:58 AM
1ST COURSE

2ND COURSE

Warm Salad of Braised rabbit, Wild mushrooms (Sheetakes oysters etc) Mache (type of green), Shallot Confit, with tarragon dressing served with a 2005 Flora Springs Sangiovese

this is also a 100$ a person dinner i am putting together all of your ideas will be taken into considerration and changed around i have to also match it with the wines that are being supplied HEADACHES lol
3RD COURSE
Indiana Duckling with a Pomegrante Lacquer, Caramelized Endive, crispy duck cracklings with 2004 Flora Spring Estate Cabernet Saunvignon

let me know opinions

Avarice-ness
03-08-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm not to much of a fan of Duck, I had it once in a fine resturant but.. meh.

Is there going to be any lamb on the menu? Lamb is great. <3

Rye
03-08-2008, 01:22 PM
I love grilled chicken on pita! :bigsmile:

Polaris
03-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Lasagna :drool:

demondude
03-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Turkish delight is like an orgasm in your mouth. :D

mooglebunni608
03-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Turkish delight is like an orgasm in your mouth. :D
QFT.
Also, tilapia is good. Like amazingly good.

IronOcean
03-08-2008, 05:43 PM
i have never had turkish delight whats it like?

NeoTifa
03-08-2008, 06:16 PM
raman noodles are so versitile, as well as rice. i make "homemade chinese food" all the time. chicken is really nice with any of those, because it doesn't leave a strong taste in your mouth like beef or pork does. flame-broiled, grilled, or coated in a sweet, yet spicey sauce (like general tso's). it goes with everything. as well as veggies. mixing sauces can create a whole lot of options as well. if you dont want to fry it, you can put steamed chinese veggies on white steamed rice, and put grilled chicken strips on top, and for the sauce, make your own with soy and some relatively low-fat sauce, and serve with sake or green tea. its relatively healthy, and easy. whats not to love?

mooglebunni608
03-08-2008, 07:17 PM
i have never had turkish delight whats it like?

It is squishy and has a lot of corn starch in it. Usually it's flavored with rose water (how I make it), mint, and/or lemon. Sometimes it has nuts in it, like pistachios.