PDA

View Full Version : Myst: The Motion Picture

Rostum
03-09-2008, 06:18 AM
I am incredibly excited about this. I am an absolutely huge fan of the novels and the games -- seriously, some of the most interesting story and lore elements.

I implore anyone who hasn't, to go read the books and read up on the D'ni culture and history. It's very awesome.

Also go play the game, they are some of the best adventure games, with the exception of Myst 5 (which would have been awesome if Cyan wasn't forced to rush development by UbiSoft). Uru is a fairly awesome concept as well (it's a shame the online version is being shut down), but for me it's not as immersive as the original series.

I'd have to say Riven and Revelations are my favourite Myst games. Though they are all beautiful games.

I believe the movie will be based on the novels, though not much has been revealed yet (other than for the last 4 years Mysteria have been working with Cyan to get things in motion for the movie). More is going to be revealed soon though!

Myst - The Motion Picture - Production Journal (http://mystmovie.com/)

Elly
03-09-2008, 04:30 PM
what amovie about MYST, why haven't i heard about thiss 'till now... yeah it's a shame that URU is being shut down next month i wish it wasn't but you can't argue with Turner Networks and win, looks like it's back to URU:CC... i love how they remade MYST with Real MYST, and would be overjoyed if the rumored Real RIVEN ever got released, i beat the first 3 and am still working on MYST IV, can't wait to get to MYST V myself but i always get distracted by other things for an extended period of time...

Rostum
03-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Awesome, another Myst fan. :D realRiven would be absolute love, as long as they can replicate the immense detail.

I can't believe no one else has replied to this thread. It's Myst, a game that revolutionised the gaming industry. I guess people really don't appreciate adventure games as much these days.

Elly
03-10-2008, 03:01 AM
truly it was almost solely responsible for CDRoms being standardized in PCs, it revolutionized the Adventure genre and set standards for graphical detail as part of the story-telling tool... MYST is a series that proves Graphics can be more than just eye candy... it really goes against the old-school attitude that graphics play background to the story and are therefore unimportant, when in MYST almost everything you see is important...

Renmiri
03-10-2008, 03:48 PM
I read the first book and liked it a lot. I think I'll enjoy the movie :)

Elly
03-10-2008, 04:15 PM
yup i have the MYST Reader myself and a lone copy of "The Book of Ti'ana" and i'm anxiously awaiting "The Book of Marrim" whenever Rand gets done writing it... an odd typo appears in the book of Atrus though constantly that i feel should have been fixed in subsequent reprints and that is the father of Ghean is repeatedly called Atrus (identicle to Ghean's son's name) when his name was Aitrus, so it seems weird when Ghean tells his son Atrus "i am Ghean son of Atrus" when it should have been "i am Ghean son of Aitrus"... it's interesting to note thet they decided to keep the movie away from hollywood so it as a higher chance of staying true to the source material...

Nominus Experse
03-10-2008, 08:14 PM
With a story as rich as Myst has, I am surprised this has not happened earlier.

And may the gods have infinite mercy if they manage to fuck this up.

Bloodline666
03-11-2008, 01:16 AM
I used to play Myst on PC WAY back in the day! I swear, each time I played it, it felt like I was being warped into the world I was seeing on my computer monitor! Of course, I've only played the original Myst, but nonetheless, it was awesome.

I hope they don't screw up the movie, though!

Rostum
03-17-2008, 12:43 AM
yup i have the MYST Reader myself and a lone copy of "The Book of Ti'ana" and i'm anxiously awaiting "The Book of Marrim" whenever Rand gets done writing it... an odd typo appears in the book of Atrus though constantly that i feel should have been fixed in subsequent reprints and that is the father of Ghean is repeatedly called Atrus (identicle to Ghean's son's name) when his name was Aitrus, so it seems weird when Ghean tells his son Atrus "i am Ghean son of Atrus" when it should have been "i am Ghean son of Aitrus"... it's interesting to note thet they decided to keep the movie away from hollywood so it as a higher chance of staying true to the source material...

I believe somewhere RAWA stated that Ghen's father was Atrus, but in the books they spelled it Aitrus as to not confuse with Ghen's son Atrus. Kind of confusing, I know, lol.

I am fairly happy they kept away from Hollywood. Though I hope they can keep up with quality production values.

With a story as rich as Myst has, I am surprised this has not happened earlier.

And may the gods have infinite mercy if they manage to smurf this up.

Well, they were planning on making a TV series on the Sci-fi channel, but it got axed during production.

Apparently Rand Miller has had so many pitches for a movie, and he feels these guys are best suited for it. So I think Cyan will have at least something to do with the movie... I really hope they don't screw it up though, really really hope so... Because this will probably be the last Myst venture (games ended with Myst 5 and Myst Online).

I used to play Myst on PC WAY back in the day! I swear, each time I played it, it felt like I was being warped into the world I was seeing on my computer monitor! Of course, I've only played the original Myst, but nonetheless, it was awesome.

I hope they don't screw up the movie, though!

You honestly need to play at the very least, Riven. It is just worlds beyond the original game, absolutely amazing. Exile and Revelation are also quite amazing if you ever have the time. Uru and End of Ages are quite alright, but nothing compared to the first 4.

Necronopticous
03-17-2008, 07:32 AM
You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

I have very strong feelings about the first two games in the Myst series, and in fact still strongly believe that Riven is the single most important video game that has ever been created. Regardless, this project really has nothing going for it.

First of all, there are a couple problems with the post-Riven series in general:

One, Robyn is out of the picture. This is, and has been, a big blow to the combined genius that shaped the series' magnum opus.

Secondly, Rand's genius, since his brother's departure, has been constantly hindered (read: annihilated) by incompetent game design; be it the godawful pseudo-3D interface of Exile and Revelation, or the essentially unplayable MMO thing that Uru tried.

The puzzles and atmosphere in the ages of Uru are pretty damning proof that there is nothing wrong with Rand Miller. He's still just as capable of putting out ingenious material as he was a decade ago. But Uru just as solidly proves that neither Rand or his development team are capable of properly presenting this material.

Filmmaking is <B>pure</B> presentation. If Myst is doomed as a video game series, which, heartbreakingly, it <I>is</I>, I don't even want to imagine a film.

Not to mention, this particular film is basically a sanctioned fan film, and I think that there is a pretty solid collection of trash precedent in that department.