PDA

View Full Version : Newer technology in audio/video production.

Rostum
03-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Can anyone name some good authoritative resources I could take a look at in regards to how technology has impacted traditional production of audio and video in all forms of media (movies, television, the web, etc.).

It would be greatly appreciated, even if it's to set me onto the right track.

Cheers.

Edit: By the way, "authoritative resources" does not mean Wikipedia, sorry.

Big D
03-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Hmm...
I can't name any specific texts, but you could try looking for books on the following:

The history of recorded music

Modern film editing

Computer science as employed in the creative arts

A university library could be a good place to look for books on some of the more-specific topics. An interesting example of the digital impact on traditional media would be the advance of CG animation as opposed to hand-drawn animation. Here's (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1501119/story.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10496822) an article from my national newspaper, you'll probably find similar pieces in virtually any country's news. It doesn't go into the technology much, but it does talk about the cultural impact, including public response, to the different forms of animation.

.:Edit:.
While Wikipedia's not relevant as a source, try looking for well-referenced Wikipedia articles that are on-topic: they might reference books, journals and reports that'd be helpful to you. It can be a handy bibliography sometimes...

Aerith's Knight
03-09-2008, 07:38 PM
While Wikipedia's not relevant as a source, try looking for well-referenced Wikipedia articles that are on-topic: they might reference books, journals and reports that'd be helpful to you. It can be a handy bibliography sometimes...

agreed..

then use the references in those reports and so on until it becomes obscure.

Rostum
03-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Thanks heaps. I will have a look into what you've said, definitely could find some stuff there.

It'd be nice if anyone else has any other ideas that I might be able to look into -- regarding CODEC technologies and storage/delivery technologies (i.e. HDTV, HDDVD, BLURAY, DVD, CD, etc.)

I will check out some references on Wikipedia, I never thought about that! Thanks!

Big D
03-10-2008, 02:59 AM
Thanks heaps. I will have a look into what you've said, definitely could find some stuff there.

It'd be nice if anyone else has any other ideas that I might be able to look into -- regarding CODEC technologies and storage/delivery technologies (i.e. HDTV, HDDVD, BLURAY, DVD, CD, etc.)

I will check out some references on Wikipedia, I never thought about that! Thanks!It might be helpful to look at the recently-decided 'battle' between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, which closely paralleled the Betamax/VHS wars of the 1970s... except that Sony 'won' this time, with Blu-Ray becoming the dominant medium, whereas their Beta lost the last time.