PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate it when...

Marky Tee
03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
you have too many magic types and you want to draw/refine a new magic?
is worse wen every character has a full inventory
jus wish you could discard it like in the earlier games

Jessweeee♪
03-09-2008, 08:16 PM
It's never a problem...I don't like to waste magic, so I just transfer it to a character who isn't in the party :p

I've never had EVERYONE full before...

Marky Tee
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM
all my characters are full
now im gonna have to get into loads of battles jus to use up the guff stuff

Jessweeee♪
03-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Well, you CAN discard it actually! Just press square in the Magic menu.

Have you refined all of your low- and mid-level magic to -aga level?

BG-57
03-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I always try to get 100 of the strongest available magic. Not so much for use as for junctioning. I've found that stocking up on things like Pain useful, because they can junction to several stats at once, so you can eliminate the magic they duplicate.

Jessweeee♪
03-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I always try to get 100 of the strongest available magic. Not so much for use as for junctioning. I've found that stocking up on things like Pain useful, because they can junction to several stats at once, so you can eliminate the magic they duplicate.

My Status-Defense is always Pain, Berserk, Confuse, and then whatever fourth one I need for a particular enemy n.n

...also 100 Ultima + 100 Full-Life on Elemental Defense is just awesome.

Comet
03-10-2008, 12:20 AM
More like 100 Full Lifes on HP.

rubah
03-10-2008, 12:37 AM
not if you have HP+80% ;D

Bolivar
03-10-2008, 05:22 AM
it only seems to be a problem end-game, but even then I find i can rearrange and discard certain spells so everyone can learn at least a few more types

Roogle
03-10-2008, 05:40 PM
I am not sure if I understand this particular topic. Does each character possess a limit to his magical inventory? If so, how many spells total are there versus how much in the inventory? I apologize for the question. I never found myself stocking or junctioning very much because I did not understand the junction system when I played through the game, and I ended up beating it by simply summoning Guardian Forces.

BG-57
03-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Jessweeee♪, I'm with you there. Full elemental immunity is awesome. Plus by adding something like Flare to Elem-Def you can tip the balance into elemental absorption.

Roogle, there is an upper limit to how many types of spells you can stock. Of course for each type you can have between 1-100. I'll go into my old save and look up the numbers for you.

And while theoretically you can Devour your way out of needing to junction to boost many stats, it's not cost effective to do so (like in FFVII). You can easily beat the game without maxed stats.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-10-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm pretty sure you can discard magic in this game

BG-57
03-10-2008, 08:37 PM
You can.

I found a list of 49 spells:

Aero
Apocalypse
Aura
Berserk
Bio
Blind
Blizzard
Blizzara
Blizzaga
Break
Confuse
Cure
Cura
Curaga
Death
Demi
Double
Drain
Esuna
Fire
Fira
Firaga
Flare
Float
Full-Life
Haste
Holy
Life
Meltdown
Meteor
Pain
Protect
Quake
Reflect
Regen
Scan
Shell
Silence
Sleep
Slow
Stop
Thunder
Thundara
Thundaga
Triple
Tornado
Ultima
Water
Zombie

There are 32 spots for magic, so there are 17 spells that cannot be carried at any given time.

But a lot of that is redundancy; there's no need to carry Fire if you have Fira, or Double when you have Triple. So once you get the ability, refine your lower magic into higher forms.

rubah
03-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Aero-> Tornado
Fire-> Fira
Fira-> Firaga
Blizzard -> Blizzara
Blizzara -> Blizzaga
Thunder -> Thundara
Thundara -> Thundaga
Double -> Triple
Aero-> Tornado
Cure -> Cura
Cura -> Curaga
Blind-> Pain
Bio-> Pain
Silence-> Pain
Slow-> Auto-Haste/+million% spd (for status protection. Why would you be casting slow anyways, it never hits anything >:[)
Float-> Quake (as far as elemental protection goes; you won't really need the actual float spell if you have 100% absorption of earth damage anyways)
Apocalypse-> You can't draw it until the last battle and you can't junction it unless you use a gameshark or whatever.

and that's 17 8)

BG-57
03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Apocalypse must give sweet junctions.

Marky Tee
03-11-2008, 07:55 AM
feck
ive had this game since 99 or 2000 and jus learned their you can discard magic by pressin square
and all this time ive been gettin into battles to use it up lol
well im sure i must know somethin about it that all you dont
jus so i dont look so thick lol

Roogle
03-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Thank you for the explanation, BG-57. As I said earlier, I am not very familiar with the magic system or the junctioning system in Final Fantasy VIII, so I appreciate the time and effort that you took to demonstrate the amount of spells in the game and inventory.

Apocalypse-> You can't draw it until the last battle and you can't junction it unless you use a gameshark or whatever.

I have never used the Apocalypse spell. I assume that it is learned by taking a character with the Draw command into battle and selecting Stock or Cast to use it in that battle only? What does it do? Is it purely a damage dealing spell?

BG-57
03-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Anytime. :)

As for Apocalypse, it drawn only from the final form of Ultimecia. So it's better to cast it than stockpile. It causes massive non-elemental damage.

Aerith's Knight
03-11-2008, 09:09 PM
then how come you have it in the savings you can dl?

Carl the Llama
03-11-2008, 09:24 PM
because they use a gameshark or equivelant to put it in there and as to the junctioning of it it has the exact samestats as Ultima whicf means 100 ultima+apoc = 100% absorb elemet J and I dissagree that it is better to cast it right away as if you draw it and have triple on the drawn character you can cast it 3 times... makes sence no?

BG-57
03-12-2008, 03:06 AM
It's one way to do it. I prefer to use Aura and pummel her with limit breaks.

Aerith's Knight
03-12-2008, 06:21 AM
It's one way to do it. I prefer to use Aura and pummel her with limit breaks.

agreed.. thats how i beat her without cheating or lvling to 99