PDA

View Full Version : Some book ideas.....

Gopher Gamble
03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Soooooo I'm just about to finish what's left of the Wheel of Time series and I was curious if anyone knew a author/series with the same kind/similiar style as Jordan?

Big D
03-10-2008, 10:09 PM
I'll cautiously suggest David (and Leigh) Eddings. A competent author, though his novels re-use the same character archetypes and plots endlessly. Lots of humour, much more innuendo than many other fantasy authors, and some genuinely memorable and likeable characters and moments.

Go for his earlier works, though - The Belgariad series and its sequel The Malloreon, and The Elenium and its sequel, The Tamuli. There are plenty of blatantly recycled ideas between the two stories, and he openly admits that he wrote Belgariad using a 'formula' based on The Lord of the Rings, but there's enough originality for one to derive plenty of enjoyment from them.

Gopher Gamble
03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I'll cautiously suggest David (and Leigh) Eddings. A competent author, though his novels re-use the same character archetypes and plots endlessly. Lots of humour, much more innuendo than many other fantasy authors, and some genuinely memorable and likeable characters and moments.

Go for his earlier works, though - The Belgariad series and its sequel The Malloreon, and The Elenium and its sequel, The Tamuli. There are plenty of blatantly recycled ideas between the two stories, and he openly admits that he wrote Belgariad using a 'formula' based on The Lord of the Rings, but there's enough originality for one to derive plenty of enjoyment from them.

I've the Belgariad and the Malloreon. I might pick up the other two for a look. Someone also suggested to me George RR Martin's "The Storm of Swords." It sounded really cool.

Big D
03-11-2008, 11:50 PM
I've the Belgariad and the Malloreon. I might pick up the other two for a look. Someone also suggested to me George RR Martin's "The Storm of Swords." It sounded really cool.Despite his somewhat... Tolkienesque name, Martin's works have got astoundingly good reviews and fan support, so he's probably worth a try. I haven't read any of his stuff, but I've scarcely heard a word against it.

Ouch!
03-12-2008, 12:00 AM
I've the Belgariad and the Malloreon. I might pick up the other two for a look. Someone also suggested to me George RR Martin's "The Storm of Swords." It sounded really cool.Despite his somewhat... Tolkienesque name, Martin's works have got astoundingly good reviews and fan support, so he's probably worth a try. I haven't read any of his stuff, but I've scarcely heard a word against it.
They're by far the best fantasy series I've ever read. They're deeply rooted in medieval politics which are developed through multiple view-points (each chapter follows a character in a close third-person narrative). In this manner, the reader gets perspectives from both the good guys and the "bad" guys.

I'd start with A Game of Thrones, though. Probably best to start in the first of the series, eh?

XxSephirothxX
03-12-2008, 12:01 AM
George R.R. Martin's series "A Song of Ice and Fire" is absolutely phenomenal. A Sword of Storms is the third book, so you wouldn't want to jump to it--read A Game of Thrones first. There are a few naysayers out there, but I don't understand how. I won't profess to have read much fantasy, but I don't think there's a lot out there that wouldn't look anything but shallow and pathetic in comparison to Martin.

Ouch!
03-12-2008, 12:10 AM
George R.R. Martin's series "A Song of Ice and Fire" is absolutely phenomenal. A Sword of Storms is the third book, so you wouldn't want to jump to it--read A Game of Thrones first. There are a few naysayers out there, but I don't understand how. I won't profess to have read much fantasy, but I don't think there's a lot out there that wouldn't look anything but shallow and pathetic in comparison to Martin.
A problem I encounter every time I pick up a novel featuring an evil overlord.

I can imagine people disliking A Song of Ice and Fire because of its density. Let's face it, there's an awful lot to keep track of.

Araciel
03-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Anything from forgotten realms ...except salivatore books.

muhahhaha

Germ Hamee
03-12-2008, 05:14 AM
GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire is every bit as wonderful as people make it out to be. The only complaints I've ever heard against it is that A) it's too dense, and B) it's too violent. It is indeed violent, and it's VERY dense. I struggle sometimes keeping track of everybody. But it's worth the work.

I'm also completely incapable of talking about those books without bringing up Robin Hobb, who is an author that's every bit as good IMO, but caught under Martin's shadow. Her books aren't quite as dense or violent, but she writes AMAZING characters and puts them through hell so it has much the same effect. If ASoIaF seems a bit too daunting, or you're a Martin fan going insane waiting for the next book, pick up Assassin's Apprentice.

Madame Adequate
03-12-2008, 05:46 AM
Never read Martin, for various reasons, and I don't intend to ever do so, for one particular reason.

However, the Farseer Trilogy as mentioned by Germ is pretty amazing. Never got into anything else by her though, for some reason.

rubah
03-12-2008, 05:52 AM
I enjoyed game of thrones, but by the time I went to start the next book, I had forgotten almost everything that went on in the first. (it'd been like a year), and I don't know when I'd have time to read the first one again xD much less the following.

Gopher Gamble
03-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I bought Game of Thrones today. I'll let yall know how I like it! Thanks!

Ouch!
03-14-2008, 01:26 AM
I highly suggest using this database (http://towerofthehand.com/) devoted to the series if you ever have any question. They're very good about keeping spoilers tagged, and they have lot of great articles in their articles section which bring up a lot of interesting questions.

Gopher Gamble
04-03-2008, 04:07 PM
I am half way through the Game of Thrones. Very Good. Thank ya'll for your input.